R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Thanks Neil, I actually have a new Ofna Chrome top that I need to set up. I'm missing a couple pegs and then I should be good to go.

I want to get the Losi box back up and running, are the stock motors the cheapest route?

Thanks again.
Cannondale1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #47
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
I looked at doing it. It can be done, but the motors barely fit. The mounting holes are way different, so you'd have to drill new holes for sure. It would be worth the money to just buy some lathe motors and be done with it. I went as far as replacing all the Losi innards with the innards from my OFNA truggy box. With some trimming of the bracket, that can be done as well...
I wonder if would be easier putting the Ofna innards in the Losi box or modifying the top of the OFNA box to accept the Losi plastic guides. The front guide looks simple, the rear wouldn't be too much work in my mill if the OFNA box top was long enough. Anyone compare one side by side to see if they are the same length with the wheel in relatively the same place on both? My Losi box is in need of motors again. I would rather get something with a little more nads.
looneytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #48
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck View Post
I just got a Ofna truggy box (10244) a couple of days ago (my Team Magic box took a dump) It took 15 minutes from opening the box to getting it to start my Eight buggy. I didn't need to do one mod. It's SWEEEEEEEETT

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/12542
Agreed. That's the box i just bought and it works perfectly with the 8ight-B, no modding at all. Not sure about the 8ight-T though.
Jonro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #49
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonro View Post
Agreed. That's the box i just bought and it works perfectly with the 8ight-B, no modding at all. Not sure about the 8ight-T though.

I use the OFNA truggy box on an 8t. The losi box is ok, nothing wrong with it, but the OFNA box is better. I like the fit an finish, and no worries about blowing motors when starting motors with a lot of pinch. I am actually using 3s 25C Lipos in mine, can't imagine how much power it would have with 4s. I don't think there is any need for it.

I liked the losi box just fine, but when it blew I tried the blue OFNA. If I could do it over again, I wouldn't get the losi, but would just go straight for the truggy box.
PerryJ676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 AM   #50
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Replacing the the Losi motors would be the cheapest route, yes. Just be sure to run them with no load for seveal seconds. Let them cool a bit. Then repeat several times. Spray the motors with motor spray, not brake clean, and add a few drops of bushing/bearing oil. Every couple of weekends clean them the same way and the Losi box will work great, so long as someone borrowing your box doesn't mis-treat it.

It sounds like the persons who only have one vehicle are very pleased with the Ofna box. That's good. But for those who own both the 8 and 8T can really benefit from the Losi box. When the heats are run close together it's nice to just have one box with you that starts both vehicles.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #51
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

That's my issue, I run the buggy and truggy almost every weekend. I need one that work for both and I don't mind spending some money if get the performance of the OFNA Truggy box with the convenience of the Losi box. I'm on my second set of motors and would like something I don't have to baby. The worst thing you can hear at the track is "can I use your starter box for a minute?" Ah, no.
looneytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:35 AM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneytune View Post
That's my issue, I run the buggy and truggy almost every weekend. I need one that work for both and I don't mind spending some money if get the performance of the OFNA Truggy box with the convenience of the Losi box. I'm on my second set of motors and would like something I don't have to baby. The worst thing you can hear at the track is "can I use your starter box for a minute?" Ah, no.
LOL. I know what you mean. Before the losi box came out, I had two starter boxes die from "can I use your starter box for a minute?"

With my Losi box I started off using lipo batteries that were way too powerful. Now I use just a 2000 14.8 Lipo with comes out just right down at 42amps. So I was frying motors every second weekend. First the Losi motors, then Team Magic motors, then Traxxas Titan motors. So now that the battery power is reduced to NORMAL, I run the Losi motors and clean and lube them every couple weekends.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #53
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneytune View Post
For what it's worth, rather than swapping innards, I just switched to the OFNA box. It is possible to get the front pins set up (with the rear pins removed) so you can just swap in the buggy or truggy. As mine sits, If I set the truggy with the chassis snug up against the back of posts, it fits. For the buggy, the back of the A-arms have to sit against the front of the posts.

Also, it still doesn't interfere with other makes or models of buggies or truggies, so the moochers can still use it. I had myself and two other guys using my box this weekend. I can't believe the battery lasted.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:28 AM   #54
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Well I bought a used losi box and didnt even get one start on it... Mototrs wen up in smoke... Thats pathetic

Thank god I had my Ofna truggy box in my trunk and just had to swap out the battery.... I think I am gonna slam an Ofna 775 motor into the losi box so I can start both the 8 and 8T with a small adjustment!

The only other option would be to sell both and buy an 808 or an O'donnell buggy...
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #55
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
X2.....so i swapped in a pair of Integy 55's....its all good now.

What pinion gears did you use on the integy motors?? (can you include a link if possible.)
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:32 AM   #56
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
What pinion gears did you use on the integy motors?? (can you include a link if possible.)

the losi's....you just have to ream them out to the motor shaft size and tap it with a set screw so you can secure it...PS i will not recommend the Integy 55's anymore....if anything something with a lower turn...the 55's were too slow in the end.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #57
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default 8ight starter box

I just put a Losi 4s 2200 lipo starter box battery (click here) in my 8ight starter box and what a difference. I was using a 12v gel cell before. The box has tons of power and weight next to nothing. The 4s lipo brought the box to life. How did I survive without it before.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #58
Tech Lord

Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I just put a Losi 4s 2200 lipo starter box battery (click here) in my 8ight starter box and what a difference. I was using a 12v gel cell before. The box has tons of power and weight next to nothing. The 4s lipo brought the box to life. How did I survive without it before.

I felt the same way when i first fired mine up.

for cheeper lipo's you can check out E-bay...i run 2200 20C packs that vary in price from 18$-30$...imo well worth it.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #59
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Can someone post the original wiring diagram of how the LOSI 8 Starterbox comes out of the box. Thanks for your help in advance!!!
=============================
HotBodies Ve8|8ight-T 2.0|www.BCRCS.org|RC SignUp|JAB Graphix|PhatSkeemz|
TeamX151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #60
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
I felt the same way when i first fired mine up.

for cheeper lipo's you can check out E-bay...i run 2200 20C packs that vary in price from 18$-30$...imo well worth it.
You running one or two of those packs?
I want to go lipo in my box, but $100 plus for a 3 or 4c lipo just ain't happening!!