R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonro View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, been really helpful.

To the people recommending the losi box, have they really improved it? Because its getting a lot of bad reviews from buyers on amain.

Ive been looking at this box: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/11556 Anyone with an 8ight use this without modding anything?

Thanks.

A-main's reviews are good for a laugh...and thats about it.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
Get the Ofna (10244) truggy start box! It is awesome! The motors are huge and it can start just about anything! The last race I went to I started my buggy (losi 8ight). a Mugen MBX5R, and an Associated RC8... No problem....
So the box requires absolutely no modification to box or buggy and works stock out of the box, sorry about being so anal about this but ive already wasted $50 on the 10245 ofna box(http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/11556) and it dosent work with the 8ight, well the actual pegs just line up but the flywheel on my 8ight pro kit is still too high and the box wheel just dosent reach it. If i take the front peg holder and pegs off the box it lowers the chassis enough to make full contact but then has no front pegs, witch i guess is still doable and im gonna attempt to start my buggy tomorrow using it like this but its dodgy as hell.

I know there are alot of 8ight owners out there and someone must have a definitive answer to a box OTHER THAN THE LOSI BOX that will start the 8ight with no modding to ether box or buggy.

So right now im looking at the ofna blue truggy box or the Kyosho Multi Starter Box Pro 2.0, so please if you know for sure one of these boxes or something else works with the 8ight kit with no modding please reply.

Big thanks for any help.
Jonro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I have a losi box for sale but that is not what your here for.I have the ofna crome to box which is ok, it works i use it for my 8b. i have just recently bought the ofna box the truggy blue one. i was looking for a box which didn't need any modifications.the only thing i had to do was unscrew the motor mounting plate on the bottom and move it over to the other holes in the mounting bracket. They have a new rear mounting bracket on the rear that is an extended version of the old piece that used to come with the box. I set the pegs up and this thing will give you no problems.When i get some more cash i'm getting rid of my chrome top box and get another one of the truggy boxes.All I can say is awsome box.

i'm sending you a pm

neil
nitro neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So the box requires absolutely no modification to box or buggy and works stock out of the box, sorry about being so anal about this but ive already wasted $50 on the 10245 ofna box(http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/11556) and it dosent work with the 8ight, well the actual pegs just line up but the flywheel on my 8ight pro kit is still too high and the box wheel just dosent reach it. If i take the front peg holder and pegs off the box it lowers the chassis enough to make full contact but then has no front pegs, witch i guess is still doable and im gonna attempt to start my buggy tomorrow using it like this but its dodgy as hell.

Not sure what you did wrong with this starter but it works fine on my eight. You just need to line it up then put pegs in place. Mine has worked great with no issues. Are you sure you assembled it properly.
sidewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #20
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B
I've had zero problems with my Losi box so far
One motor finally went south on mine. Went back to using the blue truggy box. I don't think there's a single starter box on the market other than the Losi box that won't require modifying the chassis. My Losi box even came with instructions on how to modify the wheel and the flywheel opening to work right.

Losi made the opening smaller to help against stalling the motor when the chassis bottoms out. I think on new models, the opening is bigger and therefore does not require modification to work with the Losi starter box. But it may still need to be augered - I mean - beveled to work with other boxes.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #21
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
One motor finally went south on mine.

X2.....so i swapped in a pair of Integy 55's....its all good now.

TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 07-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
X2.....so i swapped in a pair of Integy 55's....its all good now.

how much did the motors cost you?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #23
Tech Lord

there around 18-22 a piece.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #24
Tech Elite

just to show you that this is the easiest and best box i took a few pics
Attached Thumbnails
8ight starter box-strater-box-001.jpg   8ight starter box-strater-box-002.jpg   8ight starter box-strater-box-003.jpg   8ight starter box-strater-box-004.jpg   8ight starter box-strater-box-005.jpg  

Old 07-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #25
Tech Elite

the only modification i made was the last pic where the silver screw is i had to drill a hole so i could get the screw in to tighten the top down. all i had to do is mark where the hole needed to be from behind and get out the drill and drill1/4'' hole. the rest is just setting it up.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonro View Post

I know there are a lot of 8ight owners out there and someone must have a definitive answer to a box OTHER THAN THE LOSI BOX that will start the 8ight with no modding to ether box or buggy.

So right now im looking at the ofna blue truggy box or the Kyosho Multi Starter Box Pro 2.0, so please if you know for sure one of these boxes or something else works with the 8ight kit with no modding please reply.

Big thanks for any help.
I own a Losi and a OFNA truggy starter boxes, both work fine, it is faster on the Losi since the car fits perfectly and if you have a Truggy it is a plus.

I remember when the buggy came out a lot of beef about the boxes that where available, because the RTR chassis had a smaller opening that the Pro Kit. Also one of the options was to fill the wheel until it fitted the hole.

Sometimes as Integra explained you should take the reviews with some caution, recently I read that the Losi buggy was a great car if the throttle servo did not burn. The person that wrote this comment is ill informed to say the least.

Also, if you are planning on racing, make sure to at least bring to the pit some flawless equipment, you don't want to loose because your starter box did not perform under pressure, try to save a little more a get a better box that will last you for a long time.
cota348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

the ofna starter box is very nice
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #28
Tech Elite

I had a Losi box, and burned out a couple motors despite using Integras motor breakin method and it was at best ok with a 12V battery.
However a n00b pitman tried to start my 8T on it backwards and melted all the wiring and motors smokes.
I replaced it with the Ofna truggy box, quick easy mod to the box and a touch of dremel on the chassis, and it fits WAY better than the Losi box on my 8T, and the 2 X 775 motors turn my Ninja 21 w/o any spoolup like its nothing..
The Ofna truggy box gets my vote without a doubt, BIG time
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
I don't think there's a single starter box on the market other than the Losi box that won't require modifying the chassis.
the Kyosho box works perfectly with no mods to the chassis but i did have to put 2 screws into the starter box top for alinement. I use a 12 volt gel cell and have never had a problem

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9126

I've broken in several engines inclucing a couple of GO's and every one who's ever owned a GO knows how tight those are.

adrian

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #30
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
However a n00b pitman tried to start my 8T on it backwards and melted all the wiring and motors smokes.

X2....gotta love the n00bs standing in pit row.