R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Arrow Which 1/8 buggy one I should go for?

Im having hard time make a decisions by buying rc8 RTR or rc8 factory kit,,, or LOST 8ight..

PS im new with RC nitro hobby stuff..

I have been looking thur internet all day.. Both of 1/8 buggy rc8 and lost 8ight have alot pro and cons from everyone...

So Ill be pleased if you guys help me out make a point out what is should go for.
DEVO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
gfx
Tech Adept

I'd go with either the CEN Matrix or the O'Donnell Z01B.
gfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

i would have to say RC8 FT. cant beat AE in backing it cars and customer service. plus i love mines i had no problems thats so ever.. and if money isn't a factor don't buy rtr. buy kits if can so u can put the best servos and parts into your cars..
Old 06-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

best 1/8 buggys without a doubt are Mugen MBX5R and Xray 808 currently..

they are stronger and drive better then all the other buggies!

AE and losi wear out too fast and the kyosho is good but parts are $$ and hard to find. (in my area)
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Find out the cars that are most commonly ran in your area, then pick from that bunch. Usually Kyosho, Losi, Associated, Mugens and Hobaos are common. If you are bashing, then just get a cheaper RTR from one of those companies.
blu_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

I would NOT get a RC8 because of the trouble they are having with some parts breaking (fuel tank) seems to be the big thing. I would get a mugen mbx5r or losi 8. there is a guy that is running the RTR 8 and loves it from what he has told me
kcpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy View Post
best 1/8 buggys without a doubt are Mugen MBX5R and Xray 808 currently..

they are stronger and drive better then all the other buggies!

AE and losi wear out too fast and the kyosho is good but parts are $$ and hard to find. (in my area)
What do you consider to be fast as far as wear is concerned? I've had my Losi for 6.5 gallons and haven't had to replace anything from wear...
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would get the fatory team RC8 from your choices. Parts are cheap it has tons of steering its easy to work on and is very very agile. I dont run a buggy at the moment but I race truggy so I marshall the buggies every weekend and the only buggy I see people breaking constantly is the Eight.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:14 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVO1 View Post
Im having hard time make a decisions by buying rc8 RTR or rc8 factory kit,,, or LOST 8ight..

PS im new with RC nitro hobby stuff..

I have been looking thur internet all day.. Both of 1/8 buggy rc8 and lost 8ight have alot pro and cons from everyone...

So Ill be pleased if you guys help me out make a point out what is should go for.
I race an 8ight and have had plenty of track time with a friends RC8. Honestly, the RC8 is easier to drive translating to faster lap times. But, it is no where near as durable as the Losi. Also, if you get an RC8 you may as well get a few upgrades while your at... The steering plate, and F shock tower need to be upgraded to aluminum. BB shocks wouldn't hurt either, AE will be releasing there own version soon. The stock shocks just aren't very plush and don't like the rough stuff.

If you get the Losi you will need to spend some time adapting to the way it drives. Then you'll need to spend some time working on chassis setup to get adjusted it to your style. The Losi is a very unforgiving, precise buggy. If you have a smooth enough hand and stay pretty relaxed in a race then the Losi will reward you. I say this because the Losi has almost twice as much ride hight then a normal buggy. That coupled with it's centralized weight makes it roll over happy if you get hot in a corner.

Both are great racing machines but atm, Losi still holds my vote for build quality and durability. AE needs to release an upgrade kit for the RC8 that includes everything that comes on the truggy. You'll notice that they fixed all of the RC8s problems on the truggy.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by malik View Post
I would get the fatory team RC8 from your choices. Parts are cheap it has tons of steering its easy to work on and is very very agile. I dont run a buggy at the moment but I race truggy so I marshall the buggies every weekend and the only buggy I see people breaking constantly is the Eight.
How many 8ights race there?
Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Parts are a lot easier to find in my area for the 8ight, that's why I went with it.
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

CEN Matrix great car very durable and handles awesome
Old 06-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Unless you have some experience with some sort of high-performance RC car racing (electric or nitro, on or off road) I wouldn't consider either of those to be a good choice. Both are top-level cars, and both reward a skilled driver with nimble handling and athletic performance... but they are a bit edgy and hard to drive for a beginner.

For a beginner, I would say a Mugen MBX5/MBX5 ProSpec/MBX5R. It is the most stable and forgiving. My second choice for a beginner would be a Jammin X1X or X1CR. After that, maybe a Hyper 8.5, or Kyosho...
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

i love my jammin.. after five gallons i have zero complaints
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Unless you have some experience with some sort of high-performance RC car racing (electric or nitro, on or off road) I wouldn't consider either of those to be a good choice. Both are top-level cars, and both reward a skilled driver with nimble handling and athletic performance... but they are a bit edgy and hard to drive for a beginner.

For a beginner, I would say a Mugen MBX5/MBX5 ProSpec/MBX5R. It is the most stable and forgiving. My second choice for a beginner would be a Jammin X1X or X1CR. After that, maybe a Hyper 8.5, or Kyosho...
+1
I agree 100%

PERFORMANCE RC, Burlington WA 360-755-7084/360-755-9464
slidejob26 is offline   Reply With Quote