R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default question about a traxxas

ok i am new to rc I race tc electric. A guy is trying to sell me a traxxas tmax 3.3
with upgraded shocks and a arms (they are blue and he said they had a lifetime warenty). he has all the origional stuff and a decent bit of spares. pitbox and all tools. and starting equipment. he also has two chargers. he said one of them was called something like a brain charger. it runs well. it also has two sets of spare tires to go along with it. gas bottle and a can of gas. it also has the sealed drive shafts. he is asking $300 for it

is it worth it. can I race it, and if I decided to get rid of it could I get my money back out of it if I dont tear it up.

Part of the tripod
cliferton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Never owned one but I would think it would get OWNED at the track. Never see them. Mostly Revos in MT class.
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

you cant race it. it is fast but not track material. its best for the back yard.

as for the option parts. the blue arms are RPM arms. and yes they have a lifetime warranty. they are the single best upgrade that truck could get to the a arms. aluminum ones will bend. the RPM ones are made of plastic but are much stronger.

the brain charger is nice.... depends on which one it is. the truck is prolly worth the 300. but you prolly wont be able to resell it for much more than that. and you definatly coulndt race it... i tried that...lol wouldnt make it a lap without flipping.
buds302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dieseldog20 Send a message via Yahoo to dieseldog20

Quote:
Originally Posted by buds302 View Post
you cant race it. it is fast but not track material. its best for the back yard.

as for the option parts. the blue arms are RPM arms. and yes they have a lifetime warranty. they are the single best upgrade that truck could get to the a arms. aluminum ones will bend. the RPM ones are made of plastic but are much stronger.

the brain charger is nice.... depends on which one it is. the truck is prolly worth the 300. but you prolly wont be able to resell it for much more than that. and you definatly coulndt race it... i tried that...lol wouldnt make it a lap without flipping.
i disagree. i have a tmaxx and i race them. they dont win races that much, but it is a good truck to just take out and pratice racing. bad thing about racing them is that races are hard to find. the tmaxx is track material just not he one you have. there are a lots of upgrades you have to do to the cahssis to get it race worthy. the set up were everything is positoned on the chassis makes it lean in the air and the shock set up is not the best thats the reason for it flipping. that truck CAN be raced. I am doing it. the rpm arms are very good... yes lifetime warrenty. the aluminum will only bend if you dont know how to drive it right. i have everything on my truck aluminum and havent bent anthing .

the brain charger is good but no the best.

you can get 300 out of it its just selling it to the right person. the best you will probably be able to do is sell everything seperate i.e your spare tires, charger, and what ever misc stuff you have with it.

you could also sell the truck as a roller or part it out. there is a number of ways you could sell it to come close to what you paid for it.
dieseldog20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ok so i was a little broad in my answer.... you can race them, but not like you would a buggy or truggy.
buds302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldog20 View Post
i disagree. i have a tmaxx and i race them. they dont win races that much, but it is a good truck to just take out and pratice racing. bad thing about racing them is that races are hard to find. the tmaxx is track material just not he one you have. there are a lots of upgrades you have to do to the cahssis to get it race worthy. the set up were everything is positoned on the chassis makes it lean in the air and the shock set up is not the best thats the reason for it flipping. that truck CAN be raced. I am doing it. the rpm arms are very good... yes lifetime warrenty. the aluminum will only bend if you dont know how to drive it right. i have everything on my truck aluminum and havent bent anthing .

the brain charger is good but no the best.

you can get 300 out of it its just selling it to the right person. the best you will probably be able to do is sell everything seperate i.e your spare tires, charger, and what ever misc stuff you have with it.

you could also sell the truck as a roller or part it out. there is a number of ways you could sell it to come close to what you paid for it.

They are capable of being race worthy if............................................ you dump a lot of money into them . In stock form , even with RPM arms on the truck it is no way race worthy . Revos are more popular in MT class as they are a much better truck that is easier to make race worthy .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

Tmaxxes can race if you put some money and mods on them. After you buy the tmaxx then buy all the mods to make it race worthy you would have been better off buying a buggy or truggy. You can get decent truggy roller on here for about $200 and buy a race engine $150. You probably already have a radio and servos because you have been racing electric. Tmaxxes are great trucks for bashing but there are better options for racing.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
Tech Regular

$300 is too much. You can get a new one for $400. If you wanna race buy a Revo or truggy. That is if you want to race MT I race truggy and love it. I started with a TMAXX and hated it. Revo is a good racer and Traxxas best product IMO.
jgtruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

I did the same thing. I bought an emaxx real cheap and I converted it to brushless. I put cvd's all around, pro-line arms, 17mm conversion, offset rims, etc, etc. I was at a big 2 day race racing it and it ran ok, I had alot of traction rolling which is normal with a monster truck (high cg). On the second day I ended up buying a Hot Bodies Lightning Stadium Pro-R truggy and I have never looked back since. And I raced it in the 30 minute A-Main and I was tickled pink, I had never driven a truggy before and I was amazed how it handled and jumped; way better than a monster truck. Actually I bought another one. I only paid $150 for it as a roller and it had a bunch of King Headz hop ups on it which are expensive. If you are modding a maxx $150 goes quick. If you want to get into nitro off road get into buggy or truggy.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

OK guys thanks for all the info I'm not going to buy it. I just know nothing about these nitro trucks so I had to ask. I will explore other options. Again thanks for all the info.

Kill it MOD

Part of the tripod
cliferton is offline   Reply With Quote