R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default Losi 8ght gas tank?

i just got the 8ight... and until this morning i looked into the tank and theres a stone like filter inside connected to the hose just laying on the bottom of the tank? kinda wierd just wondering is that stock? thanks
Old 06-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

yes, it's stock. When you're upside down the clunk can move around to still get to whatever gas is left in your tank
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Tech Addict

i pulled on the hose a lil bit to get more slack... where should that clunk thingy be sitting inside the tank towards the engine side or middle?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love those Losi tanks when you throttle servo fries and you buggy exits the track full throttle and the engine granades because it didn't run out fuel when it flipped great idea ! I have never seen so many issues as with the Losi buggies lately ? I think I'll stick with my K car thankyou.
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynell90 View Post
i pulled on the hose a lil bit to get more slack... where should that clunk thingy be sitting inside the tank towards the engine side or middle?
towards the engine
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 06-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremtr View Post
I love those Losi tanks when you throttle servo fries and you buggy exits the track full throttle and the engine granades because it didn't run out fuel when it flipped great idea ! I have never seen so many issues as with the Losi buggies lately ? I think I'll stick with my K car thankyou.
That's why you should put a throttle return spring on your carb; not the linkage, the carb. It also ensures your carb is at full close when off the throttle and braking.
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Tech Addict

What can sometimes happen with a clunk is if you hit something head on it makes the clunk fly towards the front of the tank and fold the line over. If it folds over towards the top of the tank.. guess what, no fuel up there and the engine dies. Not optimal for racing, but probably does not happen all that often. I take my chances because I'm upside down enought to warrant a clunk.
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:

ya maby for guys who dont set the failsafe or forget to charge the batteries...u can stick to ur K car...at the Back of the pack....that'll keep u outta our way.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbird View Post
What can sometimes happen with a clunk is if you hit something head on it makes the clunk fly towards the front of the tank and fold the line over. If it folds over towards the top of the tank.. guess what, no fuel up there and the engine dies. Not optimal for racing, but probably does not happen all that often. I take my chances because I'm upside down enought to warrant a clunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
ya maby for guys who dont set the failsafe or forget to charge the batteries...u can stick to ur K car...at the Back of the pack....that'll keep u outta our way.
NICEEE!!! Well said!! all around thanks.... ill let it sit towards the back!!!
thanks Guys!!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Wow, Here I was easily impressed by the "CLUNK". You can run a whole tank of fuel upside down. So If your car goes out of control, you hope it runs out of fuel first ?I don't know about you, but engines are too expensive not to have a return spring on the carb. simple, cheap. I can't count how many times my car ran out of batterie power, and just sat on the track at a nice idle, untill I came over and shut it off.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
Tech Champion

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro View Post
Wow, Here I was easily impressed by the "CLUNK". You can run a whole tank of fuel upside down. So If your car goes out of control, you hope it runs out of fuel first ?I don't know about you, but engines are too expensive not to have a return spring on the carb. simple, cheap. I can't count how many times my car ran out of batterie power, and just sat on the track at a nice idle, untill I came over and shut it off.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Lets see , a throttle return spring , rubber band around carb and slide , and failsafe are all things that prevent issues . Also if the throttle linkage and servo throw on radio are set right you don`t have to worry about frying a servo . Yet , you would rather hope it runs out of fuel ? You can surely have your K car and catch the dirt all the Losi bugs are throwing at you from the front of the line .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #13
Tech Champion

just taking the 2 minutes and reading the included instructions will prevent 99% of the problems people have with the throttle servos.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 06-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Make sure the filter sits in the lowest portion of the tank at the rear, but not too far. If its too far, it will catch on the back/sides of the tank when your upside down.

+1 Throttle returns are the way to go.
--- Special thanks to: Dyno, Adam, Todd, and Kevin. Horizon Hobby
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote