R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to CheckerDezRCr Send a message via Yahoo to CheckerDezRCr
Default Hey guys.. new here but not to R/C or nitro...

Hey guys... my name is Jay.

I currently work for Hobby People and am slowly getting back into the sport. As of right now I have an .SH 12 rotary engine new in box I got for a rediculuous price (like under $10 for the engine AND the SH pipe but no header)

I want to get into a 2WD nitro chassis for "bashing" and maybe occasional racing. Back in the 90s when I was 10-14 I used to race dirt oval with the veneral JRX-2 running stock 05 class motors, 6 cell NiCd batteries, Futaba Magnum Pro and Novac BEC ESC... I was pretty competiive on the local circuit...

Now my JRX2 has been stolen/misplaced/etc and I want to get into NITRO instead of electric.

I have access to a nice bridgeport 3 axis mill w/DRO and also a 14x30 (think) swing lathe that are both in good repair.

My main job title is thin guage stainless TIG welding (but I do monkey work too, we all rotate jobs to keep the boredom down.) I work a full 8hr shift TIG wel

Im trained on Autocad 2004+ and also www.datacad.com version 11 and 12..

ince I get a sizeable disco at work I was able to get the SH .12 rear exhaust port motor, with SH 1/10 scale pipe (no header) for less what most would pay for the exhaust tuned pipe itself...

I was/am an avid desert for motorcycles... My goal/ Idea is to piece together a 1/10 scale buggy/truggy using off the shelf parts from work along with a custom 6061-T6 chassis to house it all. I plan to use an FHSS 2.4ghs radio and mostly "bash" it on my dirtbike arena cross track, with the occasional real race when money allows...

Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself... Eventually I want to go to an FS26 w/.30 sleeve and associated mods to have a stroker. Ive even toyed with getting an electric XTM accelerator and modding it to be a rear engine nitro car (like the real VW type off road cars)

So am I crazy???

I can get an XT2 off the shelf for under $250 my cost with radio but Im not in a rush and I want to do myway. I grew uo when kits were kits and the only RTR shit was stuff from Tamiya, kyosho, etc...

I'm partial to 1/10 scale but I like 1/8 nitro as well.

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Any info is appreciated and feedback is a good thing, good or bad. Im working on a budget but I got time up the wazoo to experiment and make things work.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Jay AKA CheckerDezRcr (in case you cant tell Im a real bonafide Checkers offroad racer)

Thanks for your time.

J

P.S. Is it possible to swap a regular shaft crank on my $5.00 SH .12 to an "IPS" style shaft, or can I adapt the crank to use a clutch bell???? For $5.00 I couldnt resist buying it...
Employee at Hobby People part time
CheckerDezRCr is offline   Reply With Quote