Search

choosing a buggy???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default choosing a buggy???

Hello,
I used to race a duratrax Raze St and am getting rid of it to get a buggy. When I got the Raze, there was not enough buggies at the track to make a class. Now that has changd, so I am going to sell the truggy and get a buggy.
I am an intermediate racer. I am faster than the newbies, but can't keep up with the fast guys.
I am looking for a good buggy to get, but I don't want to spend a fortune for it. I have good digital servos to replace the stock servos. I am looking for a RTR because it comes with an engine. Our local track does not have any engine rules, so a RTR engine should be fine.

I have been looking at the Ofna Ravager. It is a good price and I could afford to buy some spare parts. What do you think about this buggy? Will I need to replace the tires and go to a medium stiff spring to make it handle good? This buggy is looking to cost me $300.
My next choice is the hyper 8 RTR. This is about the max that I could spend and I wouldn't be able to buy any spare parts or upgrades (shock springs) when I make the purchase. I have found a place that is selling the 8 RTR with an 8.5 conversion for $490.
I have looked at Associated, Losi, andMugen and they are probably out of my price range.

Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

sincerley,
tim
Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

have you considered the CEN matrix?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

+1 on the Matrix. Best buggy for the money in my opinion
Old 06-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The Hyper 8/8.5 costs more than the Ravager but IMO it is worth it. My buddy has a Ravager that he bashes but I have never seen one on the track. I have seen the Hyper 8 on the track and it is a great buggy.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

I drive a Hyper 8.5 and so does my wife. We love them. The good thing about getting a Hyper 8 RTR is you get everything you need to convert it to a Hyper 8.5. The other good buggies out there would be Jammin X1X RTR or the Losi 8. Get what your hobby shop carries parts for.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Take a look at the Caster Racing ZX1-R. It is a great buggy. Already comes with 4mm CNC machined aluminum shock towers and the rest is the same CNC aluminum, Has crimefighter tires stock, and a legal .21 Force motor. Very Fast and very durable. A great deal at $400.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

+2 on the matrix it comes with an Airtronics MX-3 and metal geared sevos. And it is a very durable car. I definetly wouldnt get the Ravager A Hyper is the only way to go Ofna.