R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #46
Tech Addict

this is why i give props to drivers like Truhe, he ran just about everything that anybody here can buy as of right now...Losi 8ight buggy, GRP motor, Losi wheels and tires...

Huge congrats goes out to Mike Truhe, he represented big man, and he is not human LOL
Tonys Screws- Keeps you from getting screwed
Byrons Fuel- Makes the RC world go round
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:32 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

All the guys that are at the top deserve it. They have worked hard for it.

Anybody remember when Tebo won the R/C pro finals with a worn out jammin car that was thrown together with extra parts.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

oh here we go
Mo Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #49
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

This comes up from time to time and it's usually born of "gear envy" but one must be careful what they ask for. If you showed up to your regional champs race with a chassis that you were comfortable with and it's maker walked up to you and said, "hey man, I'll sponsor you for this race if you make the A-main, you just have to use this car that nobody has ever run before. You're really fast so I'm sure you'll have no trouble figuring out how to set it up perfectly". You think that would help your chances?

Top drivers are often burdened with using items that are less than optimum for the conditions in the name of R&D which is their responsibility as sponsored drivers. BTW, I read that Ryan Mayfield was using an OS V-spec with a GRP head on it. What does that tell you?

I have always said, no rc driver has ever beaten me in a race because of their equipment.

And no, there should not be a Sprotsman class at the nats. The nats are for deciding who the national champion of the United States (or whatever country) is. There are plenty of bigger races that Sportman racers can go to, the hobby is big enough that there is not enough room for a sportsman class a the nats.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #50
Tech Addict

thats the thing, if you are not happy with the company you are running for then why run it?

there was a handfull of drivers that were running all factory in the A from what it seemed...as they should be.

Team Kyosho also represented well, i know they didnt make podium, but you know what? they all ran what they were suppose to and their kits were true to as stock as you are going to get.

with that said, you can go anywhere, buy a Kyosho buggy, and you can toss on either Cody Kings setup or Ryan Lutz and you wont have to buy much of anything. same thing with the team Losi guys like Truhe and Drake..
Tonys Screws- Keeps you from getting screwed
Byrons Fuel- Makes the RC world go round
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Oh, and I guess this means you cannot run a part on the car you made yourself since no one else can get it. Why not make it illegal to run a brand x part on a brand y car too since the pro's can't do that either.
Oohhhh... that would suck... let's see... my Jammin has Kyosho CVDs... Hyper 8 aluminum dogbones on the center (less rotating mass than CVDs) a modded rear shock tower (extra camber link hole)... aftermarket brakes... balloons from WalMart for shock boots... Mugen clutch setup... some carbon fiber "shock tower reinforcements" made at home... King Headz front knuckles... I guess it wouldn't be very legal, would it?
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #52
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
I run with a 100% sponsored driver every week, and ive learned alot just by watching.
Yup... we have several here... they're usually helpful, and you can learn a lot just watching them...
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #53
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think some of you kind of missed the point here. Every form of racing you need to qualify to make the Nationals. Every sport you need to qualify to make the Nationals. This being said racers should have to qualify through there regionals to race the nationals. Ifmar worlds doesn't just let anybody sign up.

I would also say that 90% of factory racers started out as teenagers that lived in SoCal Arizona or Texas with parents that supported there god given talent. So I they did was race and practice and race and practice some more. That being said there is a reason that they are so great.

With computers, Solid Works design and CNC new cars are coming out faster than people can pay off there credit cards for the last car they bought.

The last thing is that you see the pro drivers using tires the average racer would not use to due to the fact that they would only last one race weekend. When you talking $80 for set of tires you have to buy some that will last.
huskerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I love the Nat's format. It lets you see your skill level against the best. Who says that Joe Blow cant make the big show? New car, old car, it does not matter. 8th scale is pretty even. Billy Easton drove his old Thunder Tiger and almost made the show. There are a lot of good drivers out there who are unheard of. I really dont think the latest greatest motor/car makes too much of a difference. But I understand your gripe.It's all skill baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now electric, thats another story....................
hairymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #55
Tech Apprentice

I remember at CRCRC one year ..........all the pros had pink tapers for 1/8 buggiy but they were not out yet . I wasn't going to win anyway even if I had the tires ...LOL !!!!! That stuff goes on all the time .
dead1dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Production rules are POINTLESS. There is absolutely no reason to create rules in an attempt to "level the playing field" between the factory teams and the average privateer. This isn't communism. Racing costs money, and those with resources have an advantage. A production rule will do nothing but hinder evolution of equipment. I've been against ROAR's product approval system since I understood the concept.

Aside from handing racers completely spec'd handout cars, tires, engines, fuel, etc. you are never going to get rid of the advantages of having better equipment. And you're never going to stop the manufacturers from giving their drivers unobtainable equipment. Team blended fuel? Different compound tires? Hand-assembled and modified engines? Components that have been drilled/machined/lightened/made from different materials?

If you want to petition for spec-class racing on a local level, that's great. But leave the Nationals alone. It's the most important race of the year for drivers and manufacturers, and they should be allowed to showcase their products and build excitement for new releases.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I understand what started this thread, I've been in the same situation. One hand I want to compete at a national level, one the other I know I don't have the time nor money to get to that level. Sometimes you just have to sit back and realize that you don't have what it takes to be national champion. At that point you have to enjoy the hobby and have fun.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #58
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you think that a regular joe has a chance to compete at the national level agianst pro drivers your crazy these guys get to pratice more than anyone and why because there paid to... If my job was to race then I'd be able to pratice 20 hours a week also.. Hell I can't even afford the fuel to pratice that much but do you think a pro has to pay for his fuel to pratice that much no... Even playing field my arse... The average joe couldn't even begin to compete against that kind of competition.. Getting a partial sponsor is easy it's the full rides that I'm talking about... If you go up to a pros pit they have enough spare parts to build thier buggy 3 time or more does anybody have that many spares sitting around really... How many of you have several cases of fuel, tires, diff fluids you get my point, just sitting around because the factory just sent them and said here ya go.. come on guys even playing field really??? I'm not saying they don't deserve it because they do what I'm saying is there needs to be a way for the average racer to show off his talents without the drake or somebody overshadowing them... A sportsman class is a good idea... Do anybody really think that these companies have their drivers run parts that won't help them at a race like the nats, they have them run those parts at much less important events like club races... I like racing but if I don't have a chance to win because I'm going against someone who gets to pratice half the week every week then really whats the point.. Pratice more right then tell me where do you get the time to do that if you have to support yourself and or a family??? Also where do you get the money to buy all the stuff needed to pratice that much?? There is no level field when pro's are involved it just that simple....
viper0463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #59
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Maybe it isn't an even playing field but the pros got where they are because they're excellent drivers. At some point in every professional drivers career they were the ones sitting on the sidelines hoping to be a national champion someday. They had to earn a factory ride, and they did so by running equipment that everybody had access to but they were able to turn heads with it. If you are a privateer and made the A or B main at the nationals, every factory takes a look at you and considers you for a sponsership. The fact you don't have the time or money to dedicate to becoming a pro is nobodies fault, just your individual situation. If you want an even playing field I suggest you practice more, learn more about car set ups and stop coming with reasons why you can't do it and find reasons why you can do it. Now stop reading and go practice for next year!!
KDub75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #60
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default .

My opnion. i dont mind running agaist factory sponser driver as I did at the Canadina winter Nationals. The Jammin guys that came up (thanks again for coming) would have been fast if the ran rtr car. There may be an advantage but also they are testing the next gen of part/upgrades that we will one day get to play with, There is always the chance of the new proto type part may casue more problems, and have a breakage issue. I was lucky enought to see 1 verison of the new Jammin buggy witch was omfg fast buy we also had Wayne with his new 808 (Go X Ray Go). But after all this. the pro are pro's for one reason. they are the best of the best.

Nick
Phoenix82 is offline   Reply With Quote