R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

No I am not I like it the way it is. I think one thing they should change is pros should only be allowed to run motors and batteries etc, that are avaliable to the public, But as far as a chassis componet i don't care.
losi316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

NORRCA used to have Novice National Champions.

National Championship means just that. We don't need to break it down into 15 sub classes of 1/8th scale so that everyone feels good about themselves.

The only people that would be affected by limiting it to production parts only would be pro's on other teams who may or may not have had the hot tire, engine, pipe, turnbuckle this year.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1 View Post
They have to develop the product somehow, and make sure it's ready for us racer/bashers to knock around a track with. And the only way is to put it against the best of the best.
There are plenty of special events each year that allows them to run new parts and chasis against the other pros... and most of these special events have a factory pro class for this. I am just specifically talking about events that class all drivers together and still allow them to run what ever they want.
HookaMega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Just one of the perks of being a top level pro.
And also one of the perks for us normal guys as far as not much longer and we are able to buy products that have been tested in the most difficult environment possible.

Would be more likely to buy an odonell car because Tebo beat me with it at our monthly race here in michigan? Or if he beat Adam Drake and all the other top dogs out in cali with it?

Whats the saying.. "What wins on sunday, sells on monday.."
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #20
Tech Adept

You got a good point Jbrow... and I too look at R/C products in the same way. I am more likely to buy stuff that wins races. But I think that these events are starting to lean away from the keeping it a level playing field for all drivers and feed the money machine.

I am not saying restrict these drivers for all events but if your going to dump everyone in one class to fight for the same points then you need to make sure everyone has access to the same equipment or you might as well get rid of the approved equipment list all together.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #21
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

some top level pros are also bound to certain manufacturers and products which might be a disadvantage for them. signs for engines, motors, batteries, fuel, ect. But you dont see them complaining>?

A privateer can run whatever he can get his hands on.

Bottom line, drake or truhe would beat you weather they used that new part or not.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
some top level pros are also bound to certain manufacturers and products which might be a disadvantage for them. signs for engines, motors, batteries, fuel, ect. But you dont see them complaining>?

A privateer can run whatever he can get his hands on.

Bottom line, drake or truhe would beat you weather they used that new part or not.
Of course youre not going to see them complain because that would be a breech of contract and get them sued. But thats not the point, it's not whether Drake could beat me with a new part or an old part. The point is that the format has gotten away from, well the reason ROAR even existed. The rules are becoming more and more laxed each year due to the product manufacturers and marketing.

Why even have ROAR if your not going to maintain a format that is obtainable to all participants?

And adversly, as you mentioned the privateer can ONLY run what he can get his hands on. Which in most cases is not what the factory guys have access to.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The same argument wasd made for the Silver State this year.
To me it was like the days of old when you showed up and ran with whoever showed up to run, Pro or not. I don't mind that at all. Sure some of the "Pro" guys may have a part that I don't have access to, but then there are always those that have that little something extra, even at the club level. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't, its racing.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

How do you think all the pro's got their sponsorships? They got it by beating the pro's as PRIVATEERS! If you break up the class, you will not have that chance.

I don't care what class of racing you run, it's not about hop ups or what manufacturer you drive for, it's about talent and knowledge.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #25
Tech Lord

Oh, and I guess this means you cannot run a part on the car you made yourself since no one else can get it. Why not make it illegal to run a brand x part on a brand y car too since the pro's can't do that either.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't buy anything based on what pro won with it because a pro winning with it means nothing to me I'm not pro and I don't race with pros. How I come to a buying decision is rather simple I look at the sportsman classes and see what is working there... A pro could take a old Ofna buggy and beat the average club racer so what the pros run really mean nothing to me.... Now as far as the nationals go I really think that they should have some form of national race for sportsman drivers no sponsored drivers allowed... That to me would be a real champion... Someone who comes and races on their own dime... I know alot of you won't agree with this but it's how I feel on the subject..
viper0463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

At the Silver State the Losi team had some of the new GRP tires to run that were not out yet. Did it help them in an unfair way? I don't think so as the Pro-line tires seemed to be the tires to run. I went to Adam and asked to try out a set of the GRP's for my truggy because nothing I had with me seemed to work. He gave me a set of tires that he ran and they ended up working for me. Got four bump ups with them. If asked most of the "Pro" guys will help a privateer with what ever they may need. I think their sponsors expect that from them, but that may not mean getting a prototype part to run either. I can't imagine the ammout of parts those guys go through before the right one is decided on and put out on the market.

ZX6 - RB6 - MP9e
Fantom Racing, Cheater Racing
Houston's Engine Service
Teufel Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

viper,they have that now, its called the manufactures cup. if you win as a privateer, you get a sponsership.
gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #29
Tech Lord

It's also called the ROAR Nats. If you win that you will have no trouble finding sponsorship.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #30
Tech Lord

Oops, sorry. Misunderstood.