R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #196
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Hmmmm... At one of the big races my bud sent me a text (we were meeting at the track) "do you want some b-fast?" (He meant breakfast of course...) I responded "I don't need any b-fast, I'm plenty fast... could use some b-smooth and dont-wreck though..."
+1
oldschoolracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #197
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolracer View Post
+1
+1
=

desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #198
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron View Post
Since when has RC EVER been about recognition and achievement?

I don't know about most of the people reading this thread, but I started racing - and still race - because it was fun. I enjoy spending time at the track with people who share the same hobby, I like traveling to races and seeing new cities and meeting new hobbyists. And I like playing with toy cars. If that's the wrong mindset, please enlighten me.

I haven't won anything in years (RC Pro Series race at Hemet in...2005, I think?). Heck, I've made A-Mains at some of the biggest races in the country, but finished 11th in the 15-car main and the race promoter only gave trophies out for the top 10. Is that enough for me to want my own class? Or to create a production rule? Hardly. I didn't become a toy car racer to achieve some sort of success, to feel like I accomplished something. That's not what it's about.

The need to feel accepted and accomplished, and to find success in this small world of ours is killing the racing segment of our hobby.
Hey Aaron i think you found your next article titled for those you cant win whine.

it doesnt matter what everyone is running motor, tires, chassis if you cant win dedicate your time to practice it will pay off more than this thread not being a jerk just stating a point.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #199
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Reading this thread for a while and a few pages back there was talk about encouraging kids and 'most improved' type. Logically that would be done at club level. From there the fast club guys go to regionals, and from regionals you would expect the fast guys to go to the Nationals.

Doesn't that make the nationals the pinnacle of the hobby? Maybe the top 1% of racers would/should be there?

Why then would there be 'glad you came out' awards? Someone pointed out that maybe there needs to be a qualifying aspect to gain an invitation to the Nats? Then there would be already some prestige in just making it to the starting grid. No need for different classes then, just the best of the best against each other.

Just because you CAN go, doesn't always mean you should. If you know you're not the best of the best, sure go and race, but don't expect someone to notice. Try and learn something from the fast guys while you're there.
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #200
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

OK, for you guys whining about having separate classes for sponsored and non sponsored---shut up!
Motocross and supercross have privateers that compete with the big boys, and I do mean COMPETE. Someone mentioned Chad Reed, used to be a privateer. The only way that he got to where he is today----He COMPETED with the factory guys, and even won some races! WOW!
The reason that NASCAR has gone to crap (my OPINION only, stir stir stir), is all the slower guys whining they can't keep up. So Nascar changes the rules, again and again.
The reason that Formula one and MotoGP kick ass-----they don't care! Money wins races. Skilled drivers win races. If you invest millions upon millions of dollars in Un-obtanium (things you and I can't buy, yet), you expect to see results. How do you guys think that all of this technology gets to us Joe Schmoes? Factory Racing teams.
If you don't want to race against the Factory guys.....I have a suggestion, STAY HOME! If you want to get better, at anything mind you, go race these guys. They are not unbeatable! The only way to improve yourself, in anything, is to hang out with, compete against, learn from someone better than yourself. It is the only way, besides god given talent. And even with said talent, you still need a mentoring from people better than yourself to develop that talent.
Yep, those factory guys have an advantage. Whining about it will not help you win against them. Hard work will.
Quit Whining!
Cvdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #201
Tech Regular

Well said CVDIVER There F%#@!ing toy cars for god sakes. This hobby is supposed to be about fun and yes becoming more competitive. You'll get more competitve by being around the fast guys. Are we men or whiners
GO PRACTICE INSTEAD OF WHINING I love being on the track even if I'm sucking that day. I GET BETTER WITH TRIAL AND ERROR

Go have fun and enjoy the hobby or quit. Or just be a basher Think I'm a D$#K I don't care.

Let's Race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
jgtruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #202
Tech Addict

Wink

Hey everyone,
I think ROAR did an awesome job at the NAT's this year and I had a blast! Also Thunder Alley's facility was top notch, give it up to Rob Jackson and team! However, I do have one minor gripe and I'm wondering if others felt similar.

After the first day of qualifying ROAR decided not to re-sort the faster drivers into heats together for the 2nd day of qualifying. So here was my problem, I had Mike Truhe (who took first in this race) in my qual heat, and every 3 minutes the announcer was calling my name to let me know Mike was on me again. As I struggled with keeping my car under control, and while being constantly reminded to watch out, I bobbled in front of him and slowed him down twice! Actually Truhe didn't slow me down, but the announcer calling me out to move caused me at least 3 mistakes across 4 qualifiers. If ROAR would have sorted the fast with the fast, and the clubers with the clubers, we wouldn't have had those issues. I know its a minor thing, but It really made me nervous to potentially be "the one" that takes out the TQ run accidentally. I just wish they would have sorted us so we could have two good runs with our own class of drivers.

I did have fun and Mike Truhe won so no harm done.

This happened at a club race once, and I ended up getting mad enough to tell the announcer "next time dont tell me about the leader because I dont give a F***"! Now we wouldn't want that would we???!

Oh ya... check out this Nats Pro A-main Video by UndergroundRC.com

http://www.undergroundrc.com/videos.aspx?uID=71
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #203
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
has anybody ever noticed if you put "ROAR" in your title.. you get a heavy viewing and posting response? LOL Right now, as I post this.. this is who is reading this thread:

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 14 (14 members and 0 guests)
Dawn Sanchez, bentgear, bgolat, David Alberico, DOMIT, GSPOT, James Tanous, mxnut273, Rick Hohwart, scrubnick, Steve Walters, viper0463

I'm not sure thats good or bad but so far.... this is a great marketing strategy somebody came up with......

ok, back to the topic.... I'm interested.......
What is your analysis?

I'm gathering it appears that self gratification to this recreation is gained by personal achievement. And graded by recognition. Its the only thing that seems to make a person justify racing. In some cases we are hooked to the degree just turning laps is gratification enough. While others are just so obsessed with chasing the win they forget its the race that we are supposed to be enjoying.
Its obvious there a lot of different ambitions why people race RC.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #204
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCrazy View Post
I do have one minor gripe and I'm wondering if others felt similar.

After the first day of qualifying ROAR decided not to re-sort the faster drivers into heats together for the 2nd day of qualifying. So here was my problem, I had Mike Truhe (who took first in this race) in my qual heat, and every 3 minutes the announcer was calling my name to let me know Mike was on me again. As I struggled with keeping my car under control, and while being constantly reminded to watch out, I bobbled in front of him and slowed him down twice! Actually Truhe didn't slow me down, but the announcer calling me out to move caused me at least 3 mistakes across 4 qualifiers. If ROAR would have sorted the fast with the fast, and the clubers with the clubers, we wouldn't have had those issues. I know its a minor thing, but It really made me nervous to potentially be "the one" that takes out the TQ run accidentally. I just wish they would have sorted us so we could have two good runs with our own class of drivers.

I did have fun and Mike Truhe won so no harm done.

This happened at a club race once, and I ended up getting mad enough to tell the announcer "next time dont tell me about the leader because I dont give a F***"! Now we wouldn't want that would we???!
This flustered me when I was a newbie too, especially trying to hold it together at my first big race, but I soon got over it when I had a salty old racer suggest to me that "instead of griping about the announcer calling my name to yield, or worse yet have a fellow driver call me out for being a hazard, that I drive with my eyes open and actually pay attention to others around me on the track and MOVE OVER when faster cars are approaching!"
I got the message, and got faster because of it, because suddenly I was able to avoid wrecks I previously run into - because I was driving wide-eyed and more aware of my surroundings instead of staring intently at just my car.
And now I find it particularly aggrevating to have a car I'm trying to lap (especially for the second or third time) weave back and forth, or outright block me, whether it be on purpose or not instead of moving over for a second or two and being courteous enough and being a good sportsman enough to let me by.

~ that's my 2-cents worth anyway
RocketRob40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #205
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

They setup a shuffling of heats, instead of a re-sort, trying to give everyone an equal track (which is impossible to do with a wet track).

Not allowing unreleased products at the Nationals was an old rule that was changed to what it is now. Nationals is a good time for companies to test unreleased products.

Last edited by AZRCaddict; 06-11-2008 at 10:42 PM.
AZRCaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:05 AM   #206
Tech Adept

I can understand allot of whats been said here,the one thing i haven't seen is YOU paid to be at the NATS.You the payee should have know before hand what you where getting into.Don't complain about it after the fact.
Club level stuff is different and should be accommodating for all attending as this is the clubs existence now.It's atmosphere is different and will grow a young racer in social and confidence skills.
Dado
wiggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:48 AM   #207
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolracer View Post
I've never heard of ANY racing organization that awards a prize to, or formally recognizes, anyone for finishing 50th.

Novarossi GP in the UK... last place recieved a brand new engine last year i believe. Guy was STOKED.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:01 AM   #208
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

I cant believe this thread has hit SEVEN pages!
OMG!

Its an old story about being upset that joe is faster than frank!
These guys do this for a living, yes they are fast! They practice all the time! Live where there are other superfast guys! And get PAID to do nothing but practice....

Just because I go to the driving range once a month.... Doesn't mean I can go right out and expect to be in Tiger Woods group at the US open! Seriously?
Ain't gonna happen!!!

Just root for your favorite faxctory drivers and be happy if they win! If your lucky to have a HUGE race like nats in your area, go out and watch... I cant imagine how cool it would be just to get to watch some of these guys race! I have seen some of the fast guys... Billy Fischer and Matt Chambers at the fall classic in Hutch... Those guys are FAST!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:12 AM   #209
Tech Elite

the nats are not for everyone but if you do enjoy watching the best or seeing what new stuff everyone is working on then go.you always learn new things that will make you better or just see cool ideas that some try but its always alot of fun at the nats. this level of comp. isnt for everyone but try to understand most of our tech comes to us through testing(racing) which does filter down to even the weekend basher. our hobby is doing better than ever (1/8 racing) enjoy it while we can!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #210
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Factory sponsorship =
Hard work, Dedication, Accomplishment. You have to pursue it whole heartedly.

I sure do like watching the fast guys at our track. I always say I'm a C main driver, that way I can marshal the B and sit back and enjoy watching the A.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote