Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
liverc...whats up??? >

liverc...whats up???

liverc...whats up???

Old 06-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr. losi
actually my comments are quite helpfull i know brandon rohde personally, i paid my 30 dollars and could not watch the race either, did i get screwed, no, they are learning how to set this up and make it work.....they are making great strides in the developement of this program and worlds will be off the hook.....

also, out of 3000ish users last night, aroud 1000 paid and 2000 did not.....also, the free guys were the ones complaining the loudest abou what they could see or not see.....

also, you have pm
Not talking about your moderating skills MR Losi.

Live RC is one of the coolest sites I have seen in a while. I also think they should have a limit, first come first serve. If your a paid member, then you should be able to access it any time, and that should bump out one of the free users. I have no problem getting bumped as a free user, and when I do, I don't complain. I complain very little And I applaude Brandon Rhode for what he's done

Also, didn't roar contract out Live rc to do coverage? making it free for everyone? Bonus lap members are just that, member with bonus features, they can see all cameras, and have top priority and don't have to suffer the wait in the QUE. Someone tell me this information is wrong, so I don't have to go on being missinformed.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my gues is the issue probably had to do with some one trying to hack the system. it is a great site and very fun. i have been a bonus lap member for some time. the only problem is around time for the upper mains. when it gets to where its crashing the system they need to boot some "freeloaders". but the system has improved dramaticaly and hats off to Brandon for such a cool site. but when people pay for something even if it is a "bonus" i feel they should not have to worry about the true "freeloaders" whining and blogging up the system.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

or just have a paid and free server.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm just glad they don't stream races like that every weekend!! I would never get any work done! Plus my back hurts from sitting at the computer for so long! But it was a blast!! That was the first time I have ever been in a live chat. I enjoyed chatting with everyone. Even thought it was funny a couple of people were trying to stir the pot. And for the most part, even the pot stirring, everyone kept it clean and I think most seemed to really the weekend!

Just wished I would have known about the liveRC deal a little earlier. I missed half the first day on RC bucks. Still had a good time. I think the first time I looked the the scores on Friday Day 1, user "Mike R" and I were in like 120th and 121st place! But we both made a climb through the field and ended up in the Top 15!! To win you will have to sit through EVERY race and make good choices in the final 10 races!! I will NOT be taking place in that during the Worlds. I don't think I could or would sit here for 7-8 Days morning to night!

Last edited by PorTX; 06-12-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I was booted and I paid the $30.00. I watched all the racing up until 20 to 30 minutes in to the A-Main then I was bumped off. I couldn't get back on the site at all. I apid the money just to be sure I could watch the A-Main with the top drivers and I missed it. They need to come up with a better solution to prevent paying users from being bumped off or disconnected from the site/server. I will keep my membership but if this happens to me again I will never come back to the Live RC site again.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
Not talking about your moderating skills MR Losi.

Live RC is one of the coolest sites I have seen in a while. I also think they should have a limit, first come first serve. If your a paid member, then you should be able to access it any time, and that should bump out one of the free users. I have no problem getting bumped as a free user, and when I do, I don't complain. I complain very little And I applaude Brandon Rhode for what he's done

Also, didn't roar contract out Live rc to do coverage? making it free for everyone? Bonus lap members are just that, member with bonus features, they can see all cameras, and have top priority and don't have to suffer the wait in the QUE. Someone tell me this information is wrong, so I don't have to go on being missinformed.
i think the was for only certain races......but am not sure....
Old 06-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I don't get why people are acting like LiveRC is a new thing. I've been in the hobby for about 3 years now and I can't remember LiveRC not being on. Before it was one choppy camera and some scoring. Now its multiple cameras, interviews, awesome announcing, and much more. Brandon said repeatedly that it was not server problems, that it was other things and he can easily hold up to 6000 people. Like him and Scotty said last night the Worlds coverage is going to be awesome, and will most likely come problem free.

I'd like to say thanks to both Brandon and Kyosho America for bringing awesome coverage for us people at home.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

as being a developer who has built a system very similar to this in the past, there are many things that go into how well you see these kinds of streams. Most notably, your ISP. If your ISP drops packets or at times *some* will block streams like this for several minutes and then let it go.

I had this idea several years ago but did not have the money to do it at the time. However, there are several things they could do better to make it a much better experience (having said that, I am more than willing to donate my time to help, as I do this sort of thing daily).

I think its a great step in the right direction, just needs some more tweaking.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D Hunt 3
I don't get why people are acting like LiveRC is a new thing. I've been in the hobby for about 3 years now and I can't remember LiveRC not being on.
It was new to me. Of course, as I have stated, I not been around the hobby in years so things have changed and progressed in every way! New or not, I think it will help the hobby grow in leaps and bounds!!!

I also agree that we should all say THANKS to any and all the sponsors for making it all happen.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hello everyone,

First off let me give a huge thanks to everyone who has been supportive of LiveRC over the last 3 years. We have been putting in countless hours to make the system work as smooth as possible, and for the most part it has had very few major kinks before Sunday. Even with what happened on Sunday, we were only down on the scoring feed and chat for about 20-30 minutes. The live audio and video feed continued throughout the entire event because that was coming from a different set of servers, but if you tried to refresh the scoring window then it would close the a/v window. For everyone that did encounter the issues, my sincerest appologies go out for that. It was certainly not intentional, and I will do everything I can to make sure this is corrected for the next race. Even before this race, I spent a lot of time doing load tests on our server farm to make sure we could handle the demand, and in all intensive purposes we should have had no issues. Our servers should be able to handle over 6000 users, however we ran into some unexpected issues for this race.

I spent all afternoon looking through log files to see what happened, so for those of you who are curious what the issue was, I will try to explain... Throughout the event, our server was holding strong at under 30% server load. Even when we hit 3000+, we were still doing really good the pages were still loading instantly. In all honesty, we should not have had any issues. Then all of a sudden, the server load skyrocketed in a matter of seconds. At first it looked like a denial-of-service attack because of the instant spike, but thankfully that was not the case as we have a pretty good security system in place. What happened was that every Sunday around 8pm CST, our web server (apache) processes the log files for the week. With the amount of traffic that we had this week, these log files were multiple gigabytes, and processing these took an unusually high amount of power, which is what caused the server to essentially lock up. To put this in prospective, we had served up over 300 million files over the course of the nationals, and each file served up creates a log entry. The server didn't fully freeze, but the backlog of requests it was getting got to be huge. I rebooted the server once and that solved the issue for a few minutes, but then the log processing kicked in again. After about 20 minutes, the logs finished and the issue fixed itself and we were back in business in time for the second half of the main event. I am by no means a server administrator, so this was all new to me. I do have a company contracted out to manage any major server issues and security settings, so I have already had this issue fixed so it should not happen again. I wish this would have been fixed or known about before the race happened, but hind sight is 20/20. I am a web developer, not a server admin, so this was something beyond my area of knowledge. Again, I am really sorry for this hickup and I will do everything possible to prevent issues like this from happening in the future.

Anyways, I know a lot of the above paragraph might not make much sense to a lot of people and didn't NEED to be made public, but I don't want people making assumptions on what happened. We have a server farm that I think will rival anyone's in the r/c industry, with 2 web servers, a database server, and 3 audio/video servers all with load balancers in front of them. Please don't think that we are trying to cheap out on server power, because the last thing I want to happen is have people rejected or kicked off of LiveRC because the servers couldn't handle it. A lot of people have suggested kicking off the guests from the site, however that would not have solved this issue at all. The issue was not too many people on the site at once, it was the log processing that kicked in and overloaded everything.

For the worlds, be rest assured that we will have backup systems in place incase something like this would happen again. Nothing will be spared for worlds, so I am confident that we will have smooth sailing for that event. Every event brings in new hurdles to overcome, and with each hurdle comes improved services and new features. Overall, I think LiveRC has come a long way in the last 3 years, and that is due to the support of the members and sponsors of the site. To everyone that has supported the site, my biggest thanks goes out to you and I promise I will do everything I can to continually make it better.

Finally, I want to say a huge thanks to Kyosho America for all of their support. I think everyone knows that Kyosho America has been a major sponsor and supporter of the site, but I don't think most people know to what extent they have helped out. Without them, there is no possible way that LiveRC would be where it is right now or be covering as many races as we do. They have given me the opportunity to work for them full time,and also travel to all of these races, so without that, we would still be covering only 5 or 6 races a year. Also, they have invested a lot into LiveRC in countless ways, so please make sure you guys thank Kyosho America for everything that they have done. Oh, and buy the MP-9 when it comes out
Old 06-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

server logs strike again!

been there, done that many times.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

Brandon, keep up the GOOD work. Did we utter a few 4 letter words at the start of the main, yep, few 5, 6, and 8 letter ones too. By the end of the main it was all good and the only sounds were the ones rooting for the drivers of choice.

Looking forward to the next live event.

Ed M.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Thanks for the hard work Brandon,
other then the hickups sunday evening the coverage was flawless.

I can't wait to try out the new goodies from the rc bucks game.

thanks
Dayton
Old 06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks Brandon for providing such a great site and offering live RC coverage like no other! You have put yourself on the line to develop this system and provide to the masses and it's understandable that you run into issues. I work in the IT industry and I have seen these kind of things several times and it's not something that you can plan for, just react to. Unfortunately I was not able to watch the a-main due to a jet lag due to me having to travel to Europe for a family emergency, but I was able to watch most of the qualifying and several of the lower mains! Again, great works and thanks! The only regret I have is that I didn't come up with the idea.... LOL
Old 06-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i am happy that sites like liverc exist.. i can remember waiting till monday to find out who won the big races.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.