R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Finally picked up a used buggy, what next?

Picked up a used OFNA Hyper 7 today. What should I do to this thing as far as maintenance or checking over stuff? It looks to be pretty new, and the previous owner said it was really new he was just sick of the hobby. He also threw in an Ultra LX Pro with a .21 OS engine that just needs the bump box that he gave me as well to be fixed.
vw addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Just drive them and when you're finished, clean them.... if you break some thing? Replace it.... other than that, just check every part of your car periodically for wear and replace worn parts as you find them

Other than that, just enjoy this great hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lowey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Suspended

Take it completely apart, check everything out that it's operating properly and nothing's broken or ready to blow, learn how it all works, clean, re-oil, and re-lub everything, and reassemble.

That should get you started
oldschoolracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Oh yeah.. forgot the re-lube part.....
lowey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolracer View Post
Take it completely apart, check everything out that it's operating properly and nothing's broken or ready to blow, learn how it all works, clean, re-oil, and re-lub everything, and reassemble.

That should get you started
thats only if your a hardcore racer. the OP didnt say wether he bashed or was a serious racer.

Me personally, Im a basher, with alot of time on my hands, and im still not going to take apart and repolish and clean every tiny little piece after I drive it, my cars dirty as hell but that doesnt make it perform any less, and if it ever did, its by like 2% which is insignificant

I personally think to take it compltely apart and inspect and clean and re lube the whole car after every day is kinda ridiculous. I would inspect a few screws, charge my battery and glow igniter, make sure the clutch spins nicely and doesnt need a tiny adjustment, tire check, roll it on the ground and make sure its still nice, keep it nice and simple. done, ready for the next day. Ive never cleaned my cars and I dont know if I ever will, if I do it will be taking the radio box out, taking the engine out, spraying it down with a hose or pressure washer or something.
new to rc cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Remove the shock ends and dremel off 3-4 threads off the shock shaft then reinstall the shock ends, making sure they cover the threads. This will make the shafts last longer.

I have a ton of arms, hubs, shockshafts, shock towers, etc. for the car if you are interested. I'll sell it for cheap.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I agreetake a good look at evrything. Change the diff fluids and shock fluids, and when you put new shock fluid in make shure the are smooth. And if they arent rebuild them. If it has a fuel filter clean the insert or replace it depending on what kind it is, and very important clean the air filter.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)
Send a message via MSN to zJatoRad

Quote:
Originally Posted by new to rc cars View Post
thats only if your a hardcore racer. the OP didnt say wether he bashed or was a serious racer

Me personally, Im a basher, with alot of time on my hands, and im still not going to take apart and repolish and clean every tiny little piece after I drive it, my cars dirty as hell but that doesnt make it perform any less, and if it ever did, its by like 2% which is insignificant .
if your car it's very dirty, you can't tell if something is about to break/fall or whatever

Quote:
I personally think to take it compltely apart and inspect and clean and re lube the whole car after every day is kinda ridiculous. I would inspect a few screws, charge my battery and glow igniter, make sure the clutch spins nicely and doesnt need a tiny adjustment, tire check, roll it on the ground and make sure its still nice, keep it nice and simple. done, ready for the next day. Ive never cleaned my cars and I dont know if I ever will, if I do it will be taking the radio box out, taking the engine out, spraying it down with a hose or pressure washer or something
IMO then you are just about 30% into this hobby! because IMO and i say IMO because I think the other 70% is about wrenching! because that's where you spend more time, wrenching than actually driving it.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I just ripped it around my parking lot for 2 tanks. The engine cooler part never really got hot, but the pipe got pretty hot. I know it's not tuned right, seems to be running rich. It blows blue smoke even when on full throttle. It is 80+ degrees here right now. I hope to take it out to the local track this week. I'm going to go home to get all my tools, and I'll start tearing it apart and rebuilding it this week.
vw addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

Your engine will last much longer rich than running lean. If it is running rich it gets more lubrication. a tempgun is also very useful and nice to have. If you don't have a tempgun you can spit on the cooling head and if it evaporates right away it is too lean. If you have a tempgun your engine should run at about 200-220*.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by new to rc cars View Post
I personally think to take it compltely apart and inspect and clean and re lube the whole car after every day is kinda ridiculous. ...Ive never cleaned my cars and I dont know if I ever will, if I do it will be taking the radio box out, taking the engine out, spraying it down with a hose or pressure washer or something.

and THAT my friend is exactly why bashers have way more problems than racers, and why these message boards are way more clogged with ridiculous questions primarily from bashers asking, "I ran my car/truck, something's wrong, but I don't have a clue what it is - can anyone help me?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:29 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Angry Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolracer View Post
and THAT my friend is exactly why bashers have way more problems than racers, and why these message boards are way more clogged with ridiculous questions primarily from bashers asking, "I ran my car/truck, something's wrong, but I don't have a clue what it is - can anyone help me?
That, my friend, is Not any way to be. Get off the high horse and start helping the little guy learn. I bet if you check, your s#&t does stink.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

We were all new to this at one point. Have a little understanding for this guy.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #14
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdracer View Post
We were all new to this at one point. Have a little understanding for this guy.
We did, until Post #5 came along.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:47 AM   #15
Suspended

Thumbs down read entire thread before getting all bound up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Working Man View Post
That, my friend, is Not any way to be. Get off the high horse and start helping the little guy learn. I bet if you check, your s#&t does stink.
1) If you had actually READ this entire thread you would have identified that I got off my high horse in my first reply, and got back on in my second and was blunt in my reply to the "basher" supposition that made my initial reply moot and pointless.
2) "Even God can't help those who won't help themselves."
3) Of course it does, I wouldn't be silly enough to propose otherwise. And thus why racers aren't willing to help bashers, as we know why ours does and do something about it while they wait till the wallpaper starts peeling.