Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a used T Maxx?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Buying a used T Maxx?

Someone is selling a used T Maxx in my area. I'm interested in buying it, anything to look out for? I used to race 10th and 12th scale on road and 10th scale off road electric 10 years ago. I have since sold all of my crap, but I like the simplicity of a Nitro powered buggy/truck to rip around with and have some fun again. Any help/suggestions are welcome.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vw addict
Someone is selling a used T Maxx in my area. I'm interested in buying it, anything to look out for? I used to race 10th and 12th scale on road and 10th scale off road electric 10 years ago. I have since sold all of my crap, but I like the simplicity of a Nitro powered buggy/truck to rip around with and have some fun again. Any help/suggestions are welcome.
1rst off, how much$$$ Check for oil build up around the carb. If there is then there's leaks. Ask to open up the engine and take a look. What type of servo's? Is the truck clean or lookin like A$$? If well taken care of maybe.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

These don't have much of a resale value. It's best to factor in replacing the engine (around $100 with the traxxas engine replacement program-ERP) when considering purchase cost. Many (if not most) T-Maxx (and other RTR) buyers bought them as their first nitro (if not their first 'personaly owned' two stroke engine of any kind). Consequently, maintenance and break in are spotty at best...

Remember that you can get a new TMaxx, MGT 4.6, or Aftershock for not much over $300.00. Also, is this a Pro.15 powered TMaxx, a Tmaxx 2.5, or a Tmaxx 3.3? A Pro .15 will also be the 'narrow' version. It can be upgraded to a 'widemax' (and to a 2.5 or 3.3 engine) but you're talking more $$$.

Basicaly, if you can't get it for CHEAP (talkin' $100.00 or less, and then only if it's a 2.5 or better), then I'd pass it up for one of the new trucks I listed above. There's also still a few N.O.S. Revo 2.5's floating around that can be had for around $400.00. A Revo 3.3's about $480.00 if you shop around. An MGT 8.0's not much over $500.00...

Last edited by Eccentric; 06-01-2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: can't type...
Old 06-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

That's what I kinda thought, probably not worth it. He is asking $200 for a 2.5 model. I have been searching around figuring it's worth it to buy a new one if I am really serious about this. I was always very particular about my equipment in the past, not sure if I'd dig on buying someone else's beat on stuff. The good thing is seeing the add on craigslist has sparked some interest to get back into the hobby after an over 10 year break. What about those ~$100 Ebay nitro rigs? Are they total junk? I assume buying replacement parts in near impossible. I was looking at the Losi RTR, I always had good luck with my Losi off road gear.Any suggestions for a decent RTR to get me into the nitro scene are appreciated, from what I have been reading over the past few hours it looks like the T Maxx's are good bang for the buck.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

That's what I kinda thought, probably not worth it. He is asking $200 for a 2.5 model. I have been searching around figuring it's worth it to buy a new one if I am really serious about this. I was always very particular about my equipment in the past, not sure if I'd dig on buying someone else's beat on stuff. The good thing is seeing the add on craigslist has sparked some interest to get back into the hobby after an over 10 year break. What about those ~$100 Ebay nitro rigs? Are they total junk? I assume buying replacement parts in near impossible. I was looking at the Losi RTR, I always had good luck with my Losi off road gear.Any suggestions for a decent RTR to get me into the nitro scene are appreciated, from what I have been reading over the past few hours it looks like the T Maxx's are good bang for the buck.
My losi 8T was an RTR now a racer Awesome rig but more $$$. Here are some good names to buy.......
Muegen
Losi
Kyosho
Jammin
Associated

Just a few and if you wanna race their a must. Racing is where it's at and too much fun. Get back into this hobby and have fun
Old 06-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Now that's a can of worms...

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT ask that question in the Monster Truck forum! There are WAY too many teens, pre-teens, and guys that never matured beyond 13 over there that are incapable of going through an entire day without being in a 'My engine/truck/brand/etc ROCKS and yours SUCKS!!!' pissing match. Enough of them come to the Nitro Off-Road forum, and will probably chime in...

As far as what I'd recomend...well that depends on what you want to do with it. If all you want to do is drive around the neighborhood, backyard, and parks then a TMaxx 2.5, Tmaxx 3.3, MGT4.6, or Aftershock would be your best bet. They all can be found for less than $400.00. The Aftershock gives you the best radio of the bunch. A Revo (or Revo 3.3) can be had for less than $500.00. The MGT8.0 can be had for around $530.00 and has a great radio.

If you want to race sometime in the future then I'd again suggest a Revo 3.3, or an LST2 (the Aftershock is a 'basic' LST and can be upgraded). I warn you however; you'll end up spending tons of money (a bit at a time) upgrading/changing whatever you buy!!! I've dumped a ton of $$$ into my Revo...

Oh, and don't bother with the $100.00 fleaby clones. Not worth the $$$. You do get what you pay for.

Last edited by Eccentric; 06-01-2008 at 01:02 PM. Reason: still can't type...
Old 06-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

What about the Associated RC10GT RTR? For $299 seems like a good deal. I may have an old Futaba left sitting around from my 12th scale mod oval days, I'll have to dig around. Looks like I'll be digging out all the old tools anyway.

*EDIT: Uh oh, just stumbled upon the Losi XXX-NT
Old 06-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Tech Regular

What about the Associated RC10GT RTR? For $299 seems like a good deal. I may have an old Futaba left sitting around from my 12th scale mod oval days, I'll have to dig around. Looks like I'll be digging out all the old tools anyway.

*EDIT: Uh oh, just stumbled upon the Losi XXX-NT

Both the GT2 and XXX-NT RTR trucks are great deals. The Losi comes with a better radio. The GT2 is closer to the race version. Either one could be raced in 10th Gas Truck with few mods (if you have a track that runs that class that is). They're great for fun running but aren't quite as tough as the monster trucks.

I'm partial to the Losi as I have an XXX-NT Adam Drake 2 that I race! You know you'll be gettin' more than one car. I've already got the Revo, the AD2, the kid's Stampede, an XXX-4, and some others in parts since I've gotten back into this....
Old 06-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Eccentric
Now that's a can of worms...

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT ask that question in the Monster Truck forum! There are WAY too many teens, pre-teens, and guys that never matured beyond 13 over there that are incapable of going through an entire day without being in a 'My engine/truck/brand/etc rocks and yours sucks!!!' pissing match. Enough of them come to this forum and will probably chime in...

As far as what I'd recomend...well that depends on what you want to do with it. If all you want to do is drive around the neighborhood, backyard, and parks then A TMaxx 2.5, Tmaxx 3.3, MGT4.6, or Aftershock would be your best bet. They all can be found for less than $400.00. The Aftershock gives you the best radio of the bunch. A Revo (or Revo 3.3) can be had for less than $500.00. The MGT 8.0 can be had for around $530.00 and has a great radio.

If you want to race sometime in the future then I'd again suggest a Revo 3.3, or an LST2 (the Aftershock is a 'basic' LST and can be upgraded). I warn you however; you'll end up spending tons of money (a bit at a time) upgrading/chainging whatever you buy!!! I've dumped a ton of $$$ into my Revo...

Oh, and don't bother with the $100.00 fleaby clones. Not worth the $$$. You do get what you pay for.

Hope that wasn't aimed at me. I just noticed he raced in the past. I was not trying to bash the maxx at all And yes if you wanna race MT get the Revo or LST2. Both awesome trucks
Old 06-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jgtruggy
Hope that wasn't aimed at me. I just noticed he raced in the past. I was not trying to bash the maxx at all And yes if you wanna race MT get the Revo or LST2. Both awesome trucks
Certainly not. I didn't even read your post until after I submitted the one you're refering to. I had the reply box up with my half-finnished post in it for a while as I was dealing with the youngin's.

For a few yucks go check out the "which truck is faster?", "will the LST2 OWN a Revo, cause I think it will?", and "what's the FASTEST motor?" type threads in the MT forum. They get old quickly...
Old 06-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Eccentric
Certainly not. I didn't even read your post until after I submitted the one you're refering to. I had the reply box up with my half-finnished post in it for a while as I was dealing with the youngin's.

For a few yucks go check out the "which truck is faster?", "will the LST2 OWN a Revo, cause I think it will?", and "what's the FASTEST motor?" type threads in the MT forum. They get old quickly...
Yeah, I've read plenty of those I must say I've tied myself up in a couple myself Funny how there is a new thread like that everyday
Old 06-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Just got back from the local track and there was a dude there selling his OFNA Hyper 7 and Losi Aftershock. He was selling them because he has to many others(truth, there were 3 other buggies on the table in front of him). Would either of those be decent, what should I offer? The both looked in fine shape, and he had some extra stuff to throw in with either.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Just got back from the local track and there was a dude there selling his OFNA Hyper 7 and Losi Aftershock. He was selling them because he has to many others(truth, there were 3 other buggies on the table in front of him). Would either of those be decent, what should I offer? The both looked in fine shape, and he had some extra stuff to throw in with either.
Sounds like a racer so I'm sure their clean. What do you want? Hyper is strictly a racer. Good buggy. Aftershock is a basher and to race will cost $$$$. Get both and then you can do both Truth is I have the 8t, gt2, and two savage 4.6 at this time. Race and bash.. I love this hobby
Old 06-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thay both are very old models but the aftershock is very capable. I am helping a friend of mine build his to race as we type. I am soo glad the word Traxxas hasnt came out of your mouth in a while. The only worth wile Traxxas is the Revo. I have lots of expierence with MGT's they are super durable and with a few mods race worthy, Associated factory guys raced them and so did I. I would still have mine if everybody around here didnt go to truggies. I would love to get 1 of the 8.0 models, thats a motor for real. Figure out what style of car you want and get it you'll be happy again.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by malik
I am soo glad the word Traxxas hasnt came out of your mouth in a while.
I guess I learned something from my previous experiences. I have only owned Losi off roaders, and my on roads have been Calandra, Corally, Associated, and Trinity. I don't like crap. I was eyeballing the Losi RTR Buggy at the shop today, but I can't really justify $639 right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.