R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default On Road Motor in a Buggy??

Trying to get into a 1/8th buggy as cheap as possible. I have a couple of 1/8th on road motors that are still very new and I was wondering if anyone has tried using an on road motor in a 1/8th buggy. With the RPM's that it turns will I be able to get the torque that I need for it to run competetively?

Last season when the Nats were in town here, I saw someone running what I think was an 18 in there buggy and it ran very good.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My brother ran a "kangaroo" motor on his buggy a while back. It was a rocket on top but not very good taking off so in other words it was just happy on the high side and suffered on torque.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

your going to want to change out the front bearing and possibly cooling head on an engine, Also pick up a werks clutch your going to need to have quite a high stall to get decent bottom end.

FYI the new NINJA .21s are OS VZRII engines with Vspec cranks and big cooling heads so you can get on-road motors to work well In buggies too.
Also running onroad cranks in some engines like p5s and Vspecs makes for a good smooth engine
HaulinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Yes you can. I use VZ-R engines with VZ-B cooling head ( to eliminate unwelcome questions ). It's fine so far...... get higher top speed too.

However, some very powerful on-road engines ( ultra high rpm ) could be too much for off road driving. Some people said on road engines have less torque, but too much high revs, thus it is difficult to drive because of too much revving ( wheel spin ), and you also get inadequate jumping power when needed. Worse, it might revving too quickly and make the nose going up.

The best is to try and test it by your self. Who knows people become impress watching your car running at top speed ?

Buy yourself a bigger cooling head too.

Bye.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

On road motors work in offroad. The main thing is the front bearing needs to be rubber sealed and the cooling head should be larger. Also, take into account a smaller carb restrictor (9mm is a bit large in offroad) and hotter glowplugs.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

there was a guy at the nats that ran an .18 in his buggy.. i cannot rememer who it was but i did see it.. still had plenty of power and good fuel mileage.
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I tried a Roddy RB 21 in my buggy, it didn't work very well . By the time you spend the money on a new head an bearing , not to mention frustration, you could by a go tech for right around 200 bucks an the run very well or do like I did sell your on-road motor an buy one off eBay used. I brought Two so far with good luck, be sure to check there feed back an ask ?s.
Serpent, 748tq
bluer322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Scott ask Ken about it, I could be wrong but I think Skip told me that Ken had ran an onroad motor in a buggy and said it was just fine.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

im currently running a JP Kangaroo in my CRT for breakin. Its a total dog on the bottom end but has strong top end like a on road engine should. Using them in off road is not advised unless you want to run a centax and stall it up high and hard. Engines powerband is the exact opposite of whats needed in off road.
German Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote