R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Questions?? Nitro Engine Maintenance guide or FAQ

I'm new to this whole Nitro thing and I'd like to maintain my vehicle as best I can. I purchased a Losi 8ight RTR a month ago and have just broke in my engine and tuned. Now I have never had to maintain a nitro always electric but I was very deligent in maintenance so I'd like to keep the same regiment keep in mind just back in at the age of 41. So can someone point me where I could read a guide or faq like how often to change gloplug when to tear down engine what regular maint. I don't want to keep asking questions but I'll read just point the direction.

Thanks Again,

Scott "Sidewaze"Segarac
sidewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Nitro maintenance is easy... (engine wise). Simply pinch the fuel line to cut the car off near the end of the tank, dump the excess from the tank or save it in a container to use to clean your vehicle with (works great), Restart your engine and let it idle until it burns out of fuel, should be within 30 seconds max after you dump the tank, unscrew the glow plug and add after run oil - then screw the glow plug back in. This process burns out the remaining nitro which is a rust inhibitor and accelerant. Clean your air filter when it looks quite dirty, there is not a way to make a set time, though some try to recommend every 2 hours of run time..... I can clog one in 15 minutes of a main during race season. Use your judgment.

Biggest rule of Nitro engines ........ if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is no reason to go into an engine unless it doesn't run. They are self reliant engines. They oil themselves as they run, your after run oil prevents rust when they are not running.

If the engine doesn't stay running after a proper tune, change the glow plug.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

good post, good idea.

i have been wondering about drive shafts etc. I use compressed air to clean my buggy and nitro cleaner and some degreaser for the hard stuff like the chassis pan. I would be blowing the joints free of grease due to using a fair amount of air pressure to do the buggy cleaning effectively.

how often do you add joint grease to the 2 center drive shafts and the 4 wheels shafts? (MBX5R)

How often do you change the diff oils? shock oils?

how do you guys clean your fuel filters? (simple thing to do but there may be a better way)

how about cleaning the pin holes that hold the suspension arms on, how often and what do you use?

cheers!
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote