R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-26-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default OS Vspec running temp

hey all

I have around 15+ tanks on my vspec and have started to race tune it. On the weekend at the race i was running a good trail of smoke at the end of the straight with heaps of power and i leaned out the bottom end to get good punch off the line. It looks fine going off how much smoke is coming out but i was temping the engine at 128c which is a bit hotter than i would like. I was taking the temps from between the head and the block.

Are Duratrax temp gauges very acurate?

What temps do you guys run on your vspecs at full race conditions?

the temp on the day would have been around 25c.

I have to say it doesn't sound lean and there is smoke coming out still right at the end of the straight.

Glow plugs looks brown coloured and the wire looks slight gray but pretty much new. still using the same glow plug from run it as its running fine. P3 Ultra hot.

any other info important?

thanks for your replys!
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
Tech Addict

for deg C i was told 100 plus ambient so if the temp was 28 deg c you were ok if it was cooler then you were running hot

sorry just saw it was 25c ambient so you were close possibly a bit hot i would prefer to be around the 120 mark to be safe with your temp, i always point the temp gauge down the head toward the plug some will point just to the side but in that area seems most popular.
a win on the lottery :D

Last edited by slow coach; 05-26-2008 at 07:38 AM.
slow coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

When I had my V-Spec, I temped it at about 220-260. Alot of it depends on where you are located as far as your climate is concerned.

If you have good smoke and are making good power, leave it alone. Tuning to temps should only be used as a guideline.

V-specs are known for making great power and runtime, so if you can get 8-10 min of runtime and still have smoke, you're good to go my friend!
Cory B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Tech Addict

for your bottom end run the car up to temp bring it in give a good clear out then pinch fuel line near carb you should get a good 5 secs before stalling, if it doesnt richen the mixture a bit if it goes over 6+ secs lean a bit, this is a very good way to get close on bottom end but remember to only tune an engine when up to temp if you tune an engine before it gets to its proper running temp it will lean out a bit more and that could put you to lean but it sounds like you are close tbh
Old 05-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Tech Adept

thanks for the reply guys

I am only getting about 7.5 to 8 mins run time on the vspec which shows it is using fuel.

One other problem i have to check out now which i have just noticed is when i use the throttle ast WOT it is binding the brakes on which would add load and heat!

i will ask that question in the MBX5R thread...

cheers
Old 05-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
Tech Adept

another thing thats on my mind is can you have the idle gap set to small? is there such a thing?

I am worried that i have leaned the bottom end out starting from an incorrect idle gap to begin with. therefore i would be leaning the LSN and lowering the idle to suit and ending up with a low/small idle and lean LSN.

on take off i still have a good amount of smoke coming out and it doesn't hesitate just takes off very nicely and quick but is that because of a small idle gap?

should i reset the idle to 1mm and start again?

idle gap to 1mm.
richen the HSN and put the LSN to flush
get it warm and do some high speed runs to set the HSN
then adjust the LSN to get a good take off and then set the idle lower to suit the leaner LSN..
will i just end up with a small idle gap like i have now?

or will raising the idle gap allow a good take off with a richer LSN then what i have now?

cheers!

Last edited by pracy; 05-26-2008 at 10:35 PM. Reason: damn spelling!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:33 AM   #7
Tech Addict

It doesnt sound like you are way off tbh, have you tried pinching fuel line how long did it last ?, i always set my idle as low as it will go i also run the smaller restrictor (red i think) and never go to full wot on servo i leave about 4mm of barrel in opening, we did some runs with different radio end point settings and after 50% opening we didnt notice much difference in performance anymore, this gets 10mins running hard, when setting my bottom end i will run a few hard laps to get temp then position myself at end of a good straight i bring the car to a stop at my feet and let it sit for 5 seconds then mash the throttle open hard if it bogs i will lean off a fraction then go around start again 5 secs sitting then mash throttle, im looking for the car to take off fairly cleanly with smoke still, once it does this im happy and leave it like that then i will change the idle if necessary i dont want it to high as its just burning more fuel.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:59 AM   #8
Tech Adept

thanks for the reply again,

no i havn't tried the pinch yet as it was too cold this arfternoon to bother trying to tune it as it would be way different then normal days...

i use the same process for setting the low end needle and the buggy is running great its just the temp that i am concerned with.

will the LSN effect temp much at all?

I am going to try;
-pinch test to test LSN setting
-make sure i have no brake drag at WOT
-then if the temps are still a bit high i will richen the HSN a little bit but i am thinking once i do this if i have to, i will a fair amount of smoke at WOT as i already have a nice trail right at the end of my WOT runs...

I am also using the red restricter.
I heat cycled the engine, pre-heated the engine to 120c.. would this effect my running temps?

cheers!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory B View Post
When I had my V-Spec, I temped it at about 220-260. Alot of it depends on where you are located as far as your climate is concerned.

If you have good smoke and are making good power, leave it alone. Tuning to temps should only be used as a guideline.

V-specs are known for making great power and runtime, so if you can get 8-10 min of runtime and still have smoke, you're good to go my friend!
Yeah, that temp sounds right. I got over 8 minutes of run time on sunday in the main, pitted once in a 15 minute main, and still had 1/3rd of a tank at the end, I'd estimate it at about 9-10 minutes of run time.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:06 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

The idle gap on V-Specs is actually supposed to be 0.5-0.7mm measured with the restrictor out of the carb. Also, if you're lean on the LSN, you'll have a faster idle (to a point).

You're getting smoke and the temps are not too high (over 280 degrees F)

Run it!