R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Im in the same boat Air8..I Just gotmyself a 14.8 2100mah for my losi box....i hope the motor's can take it.....what Other motor's did u try ? skinny uses those Novaks on lipo with good results...im thinkin Integy's would be about the same....Ill let u know if i have any isssues....you do the same.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sure will. And the starter box lipo won't punish the motors. I think 40 amps is plenty for turning over engines. No matter how tight someone thinks their engine is. But only cause everyone see's it in a different way. Anyways, So you should be in good shape. I did like what Skinny did in XRC. That's what got me thinking about the size of motors used in starter boxes now-a-days. And I too have been wanting to fab up a way to use my brushless systems in a starter box but there's really no point. Other than I don't think you could kill the motors--EVER. LOL J/K. If one day I find I have nothing to do, and have spare time, I'll fab up them GTB speedo and 13.5 Novaks and see how it does.

I started with the stock Losi motors with two Nimh 4200mah matched packs(from electric racing in the winter.) Then stepped up to two 6,000 Lipos so i could use them in electric racing and all my starter boxes. So the Losi motors went out and I replaced with Team Magic motors I had from the Turbo II starter box. After they went out, I put in two 27 turn Monster motors. But before the Monsters quit I had a new starter box battery and two new Losi stock motors. So I guess I'm starting over again but with much less amperage. I don't forsee any more issues, aside from wheels and belts wearing out.

I broke-in the new stock Losi motors and cleaned and lubed them before ever starting a vehicle. And I'm happy to say I've had no issues other than the belt slipping off a few times. Hopefully I've fixed that by turning the plastic pulleys around so the guide is on the outside of belt.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:56 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all the feedback!
I found 2 e-max motors for about 15$ each and the lipo solution sounds good....so, I think I will head in that direction.

Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Default Losi Starter Box Revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookiman View Post
In need of suggestions...
I burned up my 8ight starter box motors on a new engine today... Does anyone have suggestions on replacements??
Much appreciated...
Well after some time of having my Losi Starter Box sitting there, useless, I decided to get it fixed up. Here, I'll share with you what I did.

Firstly rip out the old 550 motors and bin them.
Purchase 2 x Losi 775 motors (approx US$22ea), as fitted to the new style starter box. Also purchase 2 x Original Pulley Set(approx US$7)
Drill out the pulleys to 5mm in order to fit on enw 775 motor shafts.
Mount the motors in the old Box, the motor mount holes need to be slightly repositioned due to the 'fatter' 775 motors.
I used an old Losi 8ight Steering Post, with 3 steering gear bearings slid onto it, and mounted in in the correct position to tension the drive belt. The belt will be slack, as you've moved the two motors together to fit them in the box.
The result is a starter box that will turn anything over, and can be run on a 12v gelcell or use a 3 or 4 cell Lipo, no problems. I wired the motors in parallel, just so both get 12v, but it's up to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Losi 8ight starter box motors?-startbox001.jpg   Losi 8ight starter box motors?-startbox002.jpg   Losi 8ight starter box motors?-startbox003.jpg