R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #31
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch man View Post
Maximo, the explosive part is what I dont like. I couldent tune the motor to have the same snap right off idle as the JP3 & when it hit it was like a light switch at 1/3 to 1/2 way down the straight where all 4 tires would break loose.Felt like a early 80s dirt bike,not enough & then all of a sudden too much but after my brain needed it.JP3 gives it a tractor/four stroke feel right off idle & pulls what feels like a straight curve for power & is almost always enough for the straights around here average 120-150'. on the long straight at rev it could use another 15-20' of good pulling but the over rev the JP3 gives it is enough to stay with most motors till you are on the brakes at tracks with over 160' straights. I run tracks lately that are mostly tight turn go 3-5' then jump & repeat or sections of 5' 90deg turn then another 5' & another 90deg turn. Top end pipe felt like the split second it starts to pull hard is when you gotta hit the brakes & made me over shoot turns. I was able to overcome most of the feel by using 1.1 springs in a buggy but then clutch & bell life was too low, I like blued bells even less than blue balls. 086 might make more run time & lower lap times on long flowing tracks but aint got none of those within 2.5-3 hours drive.
I run .9 springs on my mills ! However I do not run stock shimming on the .21's..I remove a 0.1 mm shim and leave in the 2 x 0.2 mm for a total of 0.4 mm total shims....I also run strictly the Picco plugs, which IMO run the best in these engines..... Even with a 086 i find more botton end then any other .21 i currently own or run..... I also like the JP4 on the motor, 1005 is amazing as well...I know the JP3 works well too...just with the 200' straight on our track I like to use the 1005 or 086 mostly.....either way they are rockin motors if you know how to tune them !
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote