R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 77
Default New GRP .21 / Modded VSPec / OS Speed for RC8 - Total Indecision

OK - My brain is starting to hurt, I'm looking for experience here...

I have a CEO Mod V Spec right now, runs great but I think has borderline too much power.

I am considering either one of the new GRP .21's (The one that Losi is importing) or an OS Speed - My thinking is that mabye they have smoother power????

Another question - Does the new GRP bolt right in or are there modifications or aftermarket mounts required?

Thank you!
Reznor88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Tech Adept
 
C.Poh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Placentia
Posts: 154
Default

Both are good motors i believe with the grp .21 for like 400$ you get the motor and a pipe or you can spend about the same for a os speed with no pipe, i personaly havent ran the new grp's but i know their smooth they run at very cool temps and after tunning a couple for some local friends at the track it seems it likes to be run a little lean on bottom and little rich on top with the 6 plug not sure where your located but out here in the southern california region that is what has seen to run best,
the os speed is hands down one of the best motors out their i have owned a os speed and it was perfect idled like a champ never flamed,great gas mileage, never needed to run it over like 215 degrees had all the power every where you needed it very smooth just an all around great motor and would recomend it to anyone who hasent owned a os speed...the only thing is the speed is fast so if you think the modded ceo vspek was fast the speed is going to be right their with it and would probably go with either the grp or just a regular v spek or even a stock Novarossi .21/5 .....
C.Poh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Tech Champion
 
nobike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,029
Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Poh View Post
Both are good motors i believe with the grp .21 for like 400$ you get the motor and a pipe or you can spend about the same for a os speed with no pipe, i personaly havent ran the new grp's but i know their smooth they run at very cool temps and after tunning a couple for some local friends at the track it seems it likes to be run a little lean on bottom and little rich on top with the 6 plug not sure where your located but out here in the southern california region that is what has seen to run best,
the os speed is hands down one of the best motors out their i have owned a os speed and it was perfect idled like a champ never flamed,great gas mileage, never needed to run it over like 215 degrees had all the power every where you needed it very smooth just an all around great motor and would recomend it to anyone who hasent owned a os speed...the only thing is the speed is fast so if you think the modded ceo vspek was fast the speed is going to be right their with it and would probably go with either the grp or just a regular v spek or even a stock Novarossi .21/5 .....
am i one of your local friends at REV or am i to slow now...............

your dad says i was doing good against R.Cav and R. Lutz, in pratice last week with my rc8 did he tell you.........???

its AceroOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH..............
nobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Tech Adept
 
C.Poh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Placentia
Posts: 154
Default

lol ofcourse mr mike you have been cool and nothing but help since day one so yup yup nothing but respect for ya homie and pops had said something about you guys running right their with the big boys that was like last tuesday right ??
C.Poh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Tech Addict
 
mxnut273's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: socal
Posts: 693
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznor88 View Post
OK - My brain is starting to hurt, I'm looking for experience here...

I have a CEO Mod V Spec right now, runs great but I think has borderline too much power.

I am considering either one of the new GRP .21's (The one that Losi is importing) or an OS Speed - My thinking is that mabye they have smoother power????

Another question - Does the new GRP bolt right in or are there modifications or aftermarket mounts required?

Thank you!

so what your saying is that your modded vspec is faster then a grp or speed?
and that you need to downgrade to a grp or speed?
mxnut273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Tech Addict
 
Steve Walters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 662
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnut273 View Post
so what your saying is that your modded vspec is faster then a grp or speed?
and that you need to downgrade to a grp or speed?
+1
__________________
"CVR" Central Valley Raceway (Madera, CA)
Team "WTF" Racing member
TEAM BCE (Product/Field Tester)

X-Ray 808 (Active Diff)
BCE 8X8 Pro Chassis
OS Speed (XCustoms Head Mod)
Hitec 5995TG (S&T)
M11 & Spectrum.
Steve Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
shady3031's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 594
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

You can change the power along with where the power is in the band with carb restrictors and different pipes. I have run an OS Speed on a very tight and technical track and done well by using carb restrictors and changing pipes.

If it were me i would keep the ceo v-spec and take the time to play around with it and get it set up right for your track. YTou could always dial down your end point, thiss willl help on fuel economy also--who know you may be able to get 15 minuts out of a tank. Run a 30 minute main and only stop oonce--WOW that got to help in the standings some where.
__________________
The Warehouse RC-Birmingham, AL
AE RC8.2-E Tekin powered
Alabama Manufacturers Shootout-Don't Miss It
shady3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Miller1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 401
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

I am also in the hunt for a new motor. but after talking to Rick at RB Mods i think i'm going with a RB mod's 5 port Gotech..He took the time to answer all my questions over the phone and the price is GREAT!
Miller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
jamminnay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 2,012
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay
Default

from what i have seen the grp is in the same class with the speed in turns of power speed and fuel mileage
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,604
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller1 View Post
I am also in the hunt for a new motor. but after talking to Rick at RB Mods i think i'm going with a RB mod's 5 port Gotech..He took the time to answer all my questions over the phone and the price is GREAT!
If thats for a truggy great. If its for a buggy either get the 3 port or the 7 port, the 5 port is gunna be WAY to much to control on a buggy.
__________________
Kevin Van Ert | RC^2 | CRC Racing | Team Scream Racing | Dumpers Speed Shop | Genesis RC | Race Rewards | Lake Superior RC Car Club | www.lsrcc.com
Kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
DirtyDezPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern Califorina
Posts: 812
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DirtyDezPirate
Default


Last edited by DirtyDezPirate; 06-02-2008 at 09:02 PM.
DirtyDezPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: illinois
Posts: 322
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Motor

Why would a 5 port be to much for a buggy? They are all bottom end and a little topend. In my experience they make great buggy motors especially on smaller tighter tracks, not so much on big open tracks. Just my 2 cents.
Jmnay_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
opinions please! which is better the o.s speed vspec or the eb modded vspec? downunder23 Offroad Nitro Engine Forum 23 11-29-2015 02:37 PM
JP4 on a OS Speed and OS vspec hyper7vspec Nitro Off-Road 4 05-22-2008 05:02 AM
Modded VSpec on MSR 1005 dyno Maximo Nitro Off-Road 25 01-15-2008 11:54 PM
***OS Vspec .21 VZB***RB MODDED!!! RYAN BARNES R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 03-05-2007 05:11 AM
OS SPEED 21 VZB VSPEC F/S bit047 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 12 01-26-2007 06:56 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:07 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net