R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Buggy engine: OS MAX-21 RG-X or STS D21B?

Hi All,

Which one is better? OS MAX-21 RG-X or STS D21B?
Both are entry level engine with pretty low price. However I want to compare the two in term of:

1. durability -> how long it last before need repair / replacement / losing compression?
2. reliability -> easy to start / tune
3. performance -> power, speed, etc.

Let's say both are being used in same manner, which one you prefer?

Thanks!
drakuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

OS hands down!! The STS line has not had great success with being a reliable, long lasting engine. I have a local distributor for them and I have seen the motors completely lose pinch after 1 gallon and have seen carbs fall apart during races and it has been on more than one ocasion with multiple drivers. I wouldn't run one if someone paid me to. Thats my opinion but I'm sure you'll hear different things about them so take everyone's opinion into consideration with your decision.
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:06 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Didnt os stop making the rg? Anyways to answer your question, I have a sts 30 with 3 gallons on it and it still runs good. If you can get the old rg I heard they were a great motor, I heard much better than the new vg. I have only seen one run but lots of guys I race with say the rg was a great motor.
blowpopracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

oups, blowpop, u r right. it is discontinued. in that case maybe I'll check OS 21VZ-B(P), not the v-spec.

Anyone using it?
drakuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

VZ is a great engine. i bought a RG i couple of days ago. it's discountinued but it's a great engine!!
infernoUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mugen9112

Sorry to rain on the parade here, but the RG is honestly a terrible engine. Break in was difficult because it hates to idle and doesn't come with a good carburetor. Once I broke the engine in, it lacked major power, yes I know that it is only a $109 motor but I still expected more. I also put the odonnell head on it and it still was the least powerful .21 motor I have ever seen. For the most part it did run consistently; however fuel consumption leaved much to be desired... The engine lasted about 2-3 gallons for me. You will have a hard time finding one considering they are discontinued but that's for the best. I heard those Go-Tech motors aren't terrible. For the price they seem good and I know the manufacturer/distributor takes care of you if the engine fails or breaks or whatever. But you are definitely better off going with a higher end OS motor or any engine over $200 IMO. Fork out the extra money and go with something good. You will always be able to tell a cheap engine from a btter more expensive one so why gambe? Lastly Happy New Years all!
Mugen9112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would recommend the OS
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Cool starter assembly

Ok so i have read the responses to the OS Max 21 RG. I have had one in a box for years, anyway i have been told it had a lot of torque. i am going to put it in my Savage but i do not want the pull start so i want a starter assembly for it. i tried ordering the OS e starter for the 21 and 30 VG es and it is to small. so anyone know which one i need.
Bigpapa4328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

RG's are great little engines. Factory HSN setting is crazy rich, you'll pass a tank of fuel through the thing in 2 minutes if: a. you keep it running and b. you don't lean it a little. They make good bottom end torque and like to run 25-275f in case you're still stuck on your heat gun. Don't try to lean the HSN for great top-end, it's just not there (I gear mine up a tooth). Get it running good down the straight then adjust the LSN for good response. It should run as reliably as a weed whacker for several gallons from here with a few glow plug changes.

Engine likes an 086 pipe best.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote