R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   LRP SPEC 3 VS SH.28 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/222725-lrp-spec-3-vs-sh-28-a.html)

HWYSHREDDER78 05-19-2008 07:00 PM

LRP SPEC 3 VS SH.28

I'm thinking of replacing the SH .28 in my CEN TR with a SH built LRP Spec 3 and was wondering would this be a very noticeable upgrade in power and performance of should I get something else?I just bash as that's all that I have time for right now so speed,power,reliability and user friendliness what I'm after.I don't want to spend $300+ for a fine Italian motor as the cost to rebuild one of those gems is just to much for my tastes.So the LRP Spec 3 looks to be one of the very best bangs for the buck and some opinions on this motor or some similar in price would be great.I have set my price cap at $200 and the Jammin .28 is another one that I'm considering but for right now the Spec 3 is the one I'm most interested in.

malik 05-19-2008 07:32 PM

It is a great choice and it will be a very noticable difference all around.

PowerHouse 05-19-2008 08:30 PM

The LRP is a decent running motor but in my opinion I think the Picco P3-28 or the Jammin JPX 28 would be a better suited upgrade for the money. I have had 5 P3-28's in the past 3 years and they all have run well into the 8+ gallon range with little problems. The only real querk with those motors is the window of tune seems to be a little trickier to find but when you find that sweet spot, they are great. I have modded every one I had and that finiky tuning issue disappears with a nice race port but in order to do that you would have to spend around $250 for the motor with my port work. I haven't had alot of experience with the LRP motors but they are SH based and I have had alot of experience with the other SH based big blocks and they run very well after race porting them as well. Longevity is the only question, most of those motors were in need of a rebuild by the 4-5 gallon mark but there were a few that went over 7 before needing anything so it really comes down to how well you treat it. Hope this was some help.

air8 05-20-2008 12:41 AM

It looks like ebay is about the best place to purchase the SH engines. Is there a store or dealer around selling the SH engines? I just haven't been able to locate a place.

Oh, and how do you tell how many ports the SH engines have? Their website doesn't give much info on ports.

HWYSHREDDER78 05-20-2008 04:33 PM

Thanks for the info fellas.Hobbypeople has alot of parts but where to buy a complete engine is a good question, maybe directly from CEN is an option.Does anyone have experience comparing the Spec 3 to the Teal headed Losi Mach 427?I had one in a Muggy last year and it moved that beast like a champ so I'm thinking that that may be a little hotter engine than the SH .28 that I'm currently using.