R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Losi 8 buggy front clutch bearings????

Hi All,

My losi is destroying the front bearings every 20 mins or so, I have replaced them so often I lost count.

I run standard 4 shoe losi clutch and shim / adjust the clutchbell for endfloat.

Has anyone got any ideas??

Cente diff moving? or anything else common.

Many thanks .
btracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Your mesh wrong?
Thrust angle of engine off?
MadRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

+1 make sure your engine is perfectly strait and lined up perfectly so you have good mesh and no binding. The only thing that would blow one so fast would be impropper shimming or a big load placed on the bell once everything is set.
clarksib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (91%+)
Thumbs up clutch bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksib View Post
+1 make sure your engine is perfectly strait and lined up perfectly so you have good mesh and no binding. The only thing that would blow one so fast would be impropper shimming or a big load placed on the bell once everything is set.
I agree with clarksib here. Check your engine mounts, tighten them, use threadlock, and make sure you have the correct shimming. Excessive load is destroying your bearings. A tweak/flex is causing the prob...
Old 05-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DirtyDezPirate
Default clutch bell

Uhmm.. what kind of motor mounts are you running I have a friend that had those problem and I checked it out, the motor wasnt striaght and he didnt have the whole bolts tight enough. Also that the RTR chassis flexs more.. but He has same chassis as I am running (carbon fiber by matrix concepts), he didnt have the engine align straight also 2 peice motor mount is weak, theres little play on it when the chassis flexs around on large jump landing.

So you might want to use more shim on the inner bearing, Thats what i did and I never had problem.. still running same clutch bell bearing, 1 gallons through.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just out of curiosity, are you running on a track with lots of large jumps? What are your driving skills like? A few off-point landings could be sufficient to cause enough flex to blow a bearing.

Sometimes it's a mechanical problem, sometimes it's the nature of a particular circuit to be harder on the equipment and sometimes it's the driver. A clearer picture is needed for a better diagnosis.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info so far,

Car has a pro chassis and plastic braces, appreciate the info.

How much endfloat do you run on the clutchbell? and also how do you suggest spacing clutchbell, spur gear

Ive read to leave a little bit of play on clutchbell/spur for flex etc but how much is ideal.

I am running with Kingheadz 2 piece engine mount. Tracks vary from small jumps to large but generally nothing huge here in England.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Though not very likely your engine's crank shaft could be slightly bent. That would reduce your c/b bearing life by a bunch.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

it would be unusual to have this problem with the k heands mount... definetly check your crank
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

avid reccomends .4mm for end play...they have a nice tutorial on bearings in general.

http://www.avidrc.com/shop/?action=support
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

many thanks for the help.

I will set the endfloat at or as near to 0.4 mm

what method is best for the bell/spur mesh, do you use a plain piece of paper to set this or any other. I keep reading that the losi can be set with a little more play in the mesh due to flex on chassis?

If so whats best method for the meshing?

Thankyou.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by btracing View Post
many thanks for the help.

I will set the endfloat at or as near to 0.4 mm

what method is best for the bell/spur mesh, do you use a plain piece of paper to set this or any other. I keep reading that the losi can be set with a little more play in the mesh due to flex on chassis?

If so whats best method for the meshing?

Thankyou.
Not "can be." MUST be. The King Headz motor mount that has the "finger" to the gas tank mount helps reduce flex in that area, but you still have to run them a little looser than most buggies.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Thanks All,

Brad and others what do you use then to set the mesh more loose,

A single piece of paper between the clutchbell/spur is normal so what do you do to give the more loose as needed.

Thankyou
Old 05-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btracing View Post
Thanks All,

Brad and others what do you use then to set the mesh more loose,

A single piece of paper between the clutchbell/spur is normal so what do you do to give the more loose as needed.

Thankyou
Double the paper thickness.
ridgewaybodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Anyone notice the excess play (lateral) on the front 5X10 bearing? When I spin my clutch bell it doesn't even spin the outer race. I tried another losi 14 and another brand bearing and it was the same. I don't know if this would have any effect on the life of the front bearing, but it doesn't seem right.
spcpicard is offline   Reply With Quote