R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What didnt you like about the Gel cell? Weight? Just curious.
killabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

That's one of racers concern - weight. Also, they do take a long time to charge, but you can use a regular charger for them at a low amp rating and can have them setup at the track ready to go. Otherwise a small jump pack for a full size car provides plenty of power all day long.
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD View Post
That's one of racers concern - weight. Also, they do take a long time to charge, but you can use a regular charger for them at a low amp rating and can have them setup at the track ready to go. Otherwise a small jump pack for a full size car provides plenty of power all day long.
Well... the regular batteries are heavy... but it isn't on your car. What difference does it make? They're about as reliable as gravity and cheap as dirt. So the box is heavy... a little exercise won't hurt us, right?
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #19
Tech Master

Ditto that Domit. Like I said, are you dragging the thing around all day?

Charging time isnt really an issue, plug it in the night before and your ready to go in the morning.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Red face

So what type of charger is needed for the gel cell/lead acid batts? Can the ICE charge it? Will a battery tender for a full size vehicle work? Or what about my daughters' Power Wheels charger, would that work?

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
So what type of charger is needed for the gel cell/lead acid batts? Can the ICE charge it? Will a battery tender for a full size vehicle work? Or what about my daughters' Power Wheels charger, would that work?
I have a Duratrax Piranha charger.... it is programmable. I use it for my Rx pack (hump pack, 1600 mah) RX batteries (2300 mah) glow ignitor, and starter box battery, and have a couple of open spots for my buds to use for their slightly different radio batts, etc.

It is only about $50. Does everything but LiPo.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #22
Tech Master

I just use a wall charger. Its made by hanger 9 I think. Its not fast by any means but you just plug it in at night and by the morning your ready to go. I have a Duratrax Ice charger for all other charging duties.

Just like this in fact.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...x?ProdID=HAN19
Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Well... the regular batteries are heavy... but it isn't on your car. What difference does it make? They're about as reliable as gravity and cheap as dirt. So the box is heavy... a little exercise won't hurt us, right?
Its not the fact that the box is heavy, some of the smaller starter boxes are ust too tight to fit in a lead acid pack... but a lipo fits no probs, lipo maintenance is just like lead acid charge them during the week and they are good to go on the weekend unlike nimhs.

Thats y i use them, plus you can get lipos dead cheap on ebay, cheaper than a gel cel.
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabud View Post
Ditto that Domit. Like I said, are you dragging the thing around all day?

Charging time isnt really an issue, plug it in the night before and your ready to go in the morning.
I use lipos in nearly everything, I can charge the week before or whenever i want and still race on the weekend... I dont have to spend the time the night before charging everything.

The main reason I use Lipo...
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #25
Tech Adept

I run the Common Sense RC 4 Cell 3850 8C in my Ofna 10244 starter box. It has been in use for over 4 months worth of testing, and has worked far better than I anticipated. It's super light, and 3 times more powerful than it was with 2 7.2V batteries.

I won't ever go back to NiMh or Gel Cell batteries in starter boxes. There hasn't been any disadvantages with LiPo's, only advantages.

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...
Nitrohouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabud View Post
What didnt you like about the Gel cell? Weight? Just curious.
The thing I hated the most is that it seemed to really struggle starting my engines. Just seemed like there wasnt enough juice, switched to lipo and that part is wayyyyy better.

I also didnt like that I couldnt charge it off my ice charger. My friends have the same charger and I copied their info and tried mine and I could never get a full charge out of it. Dont know why.

Lastly it was heavier but wasnt really a problem till I started running 2 classes, thats when I the extra weight of the starterboxes in my pit box started adding up.
blowpopracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That's why I use lipos. Several boxes with different classes and forms of RC. But the two 7.4 lipos are toasting the motors I think. I've burned up Losi motors, the Team Magic X5 motors, and two Ofna 550 motors. I never have a problem starting engines. The engines fire with in 4-5 seconds on the box. So it's not like they're even getting hot. They just stop working all of a sudden. Like I'll go to start my next heat, and push down of the vehicle.......nothing. check the switch, check the leads, check the batteries....nothing. So IDK.

I just wanted to find out what turn some of these motors are, like that article in the mag that used Novak 55-turn motors. Well if frikkin Fedex would deliver my dang parts I'd have a 14.8v 2100mah lipo to use. But they won't leave the package even after I've signed those door tags three days in a row. LOL. C'MON. Leave the frikkin package already. I live in the country, so it's not like tons of people walk or drive by my place anyways. LOL. Sorry..back to the topic.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Not sure how everyone is having issues with the gel cells. I've been using them for years and cranking over .12s, .21s, .26s and .28s with the original 10th scale true start ofna box with dual 550 motors.
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote