R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default weird question that probably no one has ever asked

I have a airtronics servo that ive been having troubles with... its cable to be more specific (im sure you know what im talking about )

The problem is that Ive been doing some horrible splicing to the servo wires and now the goddamn wire is too short, it doesnt reach the receiver from where its supposed to be.

Now Ive got an old junk futaba servo that has a perfect condition cable coming from it, its about a foot long too!

I was wondering if I could cut the airtronics cable so its about 2 inches long, then splice a 5 or so inch piece of the futaba wire that has the end piece that plugs into the receiver to it? basically cutting off the tip of the airtonics cable, and extending it with a futaba wire.

The colors are different on the wires, but there is 3 wires. I know to match black to black (or brown in this case) then middle one to middle one (duh) then the last one.

kind of unrelated, what do the 3 wires represent? im guessing one is turn clockwise, the other is to turn CC, but whats the third wire for?
new to rc cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Why dont you just send it to airtronics so it can be fixed properly. It wont cost much at all.
blowpopracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowpopracer View Post
Why dont you just send it to airtronics so it can be fixed properly. It wont cost much at all.
Id have to spend 2$ on the envelope, 7$ to ship it, then prob 10$ for the repair.

so thats almost 20$ spent on it, id have to wait 10 days for them to get it, theyl probably keep it for about 2-3 days while fixing it, then another 10 days for it to get shipped back to me.

so spending 20$ and waiting almost a month... or do it for free and take 3 mins in my garage with 4 cents worth of electrical tape...

so yeah, I pretty much wanna drive my car today, its out first nice day of the year (seriously) and I have a brand new gallon of gas I cant wait to go burn.

Im going to assume the answer to my own question is a "yes".

Im going to go splice them now, I will come back and post what went wrong, wether its smoke, sparks, possible fire, burn myself, shock maybe, damage servo/receiver, I cant wait to learn the hard way!.. again!

Thanks
Old 05-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Tech Regular

you sound smart enuf (just fix it) could have be done qucker the posting about it
8lackflagracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Tech Regular

yeah, your spelling/grammar is horrible, I wouldnt be going around sarcastically calling people smart.

Im doing it now, I just wanted to know if it was an absolute "NO!"

I figured it would work, why woudnt it.

The futaba wires are a bit thinner than the airtronics one, but thats not gonna stop me from trying!
Old 05-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Tech Regular

yup, it pretty much worked perfect.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
Tech Regular

To answer your question it should work ok. Just make sure you know which end is you negative end so you can plug it in the right way, and not to sound like a a$$ but make sure you dont have the wires touching or soldered together to avoid another major problem.

If you need any more help let me know. Feel free to pm me if you like and I can give you my phone number and we can talk. I dont like to see new people get frustrated and get out of the hobby cause once they get over what I call the New B blues they will absolutely love it.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
To answer your question it should work ok. Just make sure you know which end is you negative end so you can plug it in the right way, and not to sound like a a$$ but make sure you dont have the wires touching or soldered together to avoid another major problem.

If you need any more help let me know. Feel free to pm me if you like and I can give you my phone number and we can talk. I dont like to see new people get frustrated and get out of the hobby cause once they get over what I call the New B blues they will absolutely love it.

Yeah I figured it would work fine, I just wanted some thought from you guys before I started... you can never be too safe.

I just matched the red to the red, black to the black, then the white to the blue one. took my time, made sure I did a damn near perfect job. black goes in the far right when putting it into the receiver

I didnt solder them, I just twisted them and put electrical tape around each one indidivually, then I taped them all together.

I would ask for your phone number, but Im in canada and it would probably cost like 12$ a minute Thanks anyways, I really appreciate your concern.

oh yeah, I figured out what ruined my cable in the first place.... the damn spur gear. I dont know why this is my 1st problem with it, ive always ran it the same way, right beside the spur gear.

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
Tech Regular

I would recommend soldering them, twisting them together isnt really a good idea with as much abuse as we put these things through.

Not to volunteer someone else but Maximo(on rc tech) is from Canada and he is very knowledgeable if you need someone to chat with. Hope you dont mind me mentioning you max.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cheesecake

shrink tube is your friend shrink tube the wires and they will stay good for a long while
cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
I would recommend soldering them, twisting them together isnt really a good idea with as much abuse as we put these things through.

Not to volunteer someone else but Maximo(on rc tech) is from Canada and he is very knowledgeable if you need someone to chat with. Hope you dont mind me mentioning you max.
I dont have a soldering gun, nor do I know quite how they work.. what do you mean they go through "abuse"... I never take my car apart so my wires pretty much never get touched... by anything.

I believe maximo has helped me before. I normally just post a new thread( or hijack someone elses ) and hope that everyone whos is able to, helps me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
shrink tube is your friend shrink tube the wires and they will stay good for a long while
damn good idea, and now that I think of it, my little brother bought about 200 miles of the damn stuff on ebay, came from hong kong for like 3$, he uses it for speaker wires, I totally forgot he has it!

too late now, im pretty sure my job will hold, if it doesnt It will be easy to fix.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
Tech Regular

oh yeah, a very helpful tip that I learnt today, not sure if you guys know it.

when splicing wires, ya know how you have to take a little bit of the plastic housing off to expose an inch or so of bare wire?

normally I used to cut into the plastic very gently and then it just slid off, but an easier way is to hold it under a lighter for literally 2 seconds, then the plastic will be melted/soft, and you can take your thumb nail and just take the plastic off real easy, saves A LOT of hassle as sometimes you cut a little too deep and end up cutting the whole wire, I almost did that to my black one.. I had about an inch of wire left coming off the servo, then I was screwed, so I couldnt afford to make another mistake cutting too deep!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You really should pick up a cheap soldering iron and practice on so spare wire...it's simple once you try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QznAAwL8rI
Shazbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to skeller Send a message via MSN to skeller Send a message via Yahoo to skeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot View Post
You really should pick up a cheap soldering iron and practice on so spare wire...it's simple once you try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QznAAwL8rI
Like you know anything.....you idiot.

DUMB BROWN SPOTTED DALMATION!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
skeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeller View Post
Like you know anything.....you idiot.

DUMB BROWN SPOTTED DALMATION!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
wtf?

and yea, I remember my dad had a soldering gun when we were real young, I tried it a few times, coudlnt figure it out (I was like 6 at the time) so I assumed it was real hard.

I know how to stick weld and stainless weld so im sure I can solder :P I just have to buy a solder gun.

Its also good if you have a nice system in your vehicle, and you solder all the wires together, and if someone rips the deck out of your car, which will be hard to do, they will never get it to work.