Community
Wiki Posts
Search

weird question that probably no one has ever asked

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i forsee glitching problem's with a "twisted together" servo wire repair job...and Shrink wrap is a must imo......electical tape. thats dirty.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Regional Moderator

Short of sending it in to get it fixed, the best way to fix it is to open the case, unsolder the existing wire(s) from the circuit board, use the longer Futaba wire, and solder that in the original wire's place. Get a small electronics soldering iron (not a gun) around 15 watts and some desoldering wick. After reassembly, maybe use some silicone sealer to seal where the wires enter the case.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
i forsee glitching problem's with a "twisted together" servo wire repair job...and Shrink wrap is a must imo......electical tape. thats dirty.

all shrink wrap is is a type of rubber and wont last long under the abuse. i also see glitching problems from that servo. yes granted it may work great for a while but like everything else in this world it will wear out and go out again. my opinion you should just buy a new one. but as i could see earlier in your post yout too much of a tight ass to send it out to get it fixed so that lets me to know that you wont even consider buying a new one until you ABSOLUTLY have too. but thats probably what has been on everyone elses mind. why not buy a new one. thats my 2 cents about it.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
hmmm, well see how long she lasts

I think it will work for a long time.

Originally Posted by dieseldog20
all shrink wrap is is a type of rubber and wont last long under the abuse. i also see glitching problems from that servo. yes granted it may work great for a while but like everything else in this world it will wear out and go out again. my opinion you should just buy a new one. but as i could see earlier in your post yout too much of a tight ass to send it out to get it fixed so that lets me to know that you wont even consider buying a new one until you ABSOLUTLY have too. but thats probably what has been on everyone elses mind. why not buy a new one. thats my 2 cents about it.

I dont really wanna buy a new one, I just paid 110$ for this one, I havnt gotten my 110$ out of it yet, not even close. Its like a month old, had maybe a gallon ran through it.

Im not a tight ass, I spend ridiculous amounts of money on this car and I just wanna try to slow the spending down a little. I make 45$ an hour, money is not an issue for me, its just the fact that I have to buy a new 110$ servo every week... no thanks. plus I would have to wait approx a month, nah, not worth it.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Where do you live....and where do you order from for it to take that long to get to you?

Why did you cut the wire in the first place?
Old 05-18-2008, 03:39 AM
Tech Rookie

wondering why you cut the wires in the first place toooo.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My bad

Last edited by Vigilante212; 05-18-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Regional Moderator

Not even close on the wire color explanation.

Servo Wiring
All servos have three wires:
Black or Brown is for ground.
Red is for power (~4.8-6V).
Yellow, Orange, or White is the signal wire (3-5V).
Old 05-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by skeller
Where do you live....and where do you order from for it to take that long to get to you?

I live in canada, it ALWAYS takes 2 weeks for them to get it, then 2 weeks for them to send it back, ive ordered probably 400 item online and it always takes 2 weeks.

I didnt cut the wire.. the damn spur gear somehow grabbed it and sliced just one of the wires, the blue one.

Originally Posted by RC GILA
wondering why you cut the wires in the first place toooo.
spur gear grabbed it and cut it a little bit. so I cut it right in half and respliced the whole damn thing.

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Not even close on the wire color explanation.

Servo Wiring
All servos have three wires:
Black or Brown is for ground.
Red is for power (~4.8-6V).
Yellow, Orange, or White is the signal wire (3-5V).
yeah I figured that once I seen the red and black, I realized those were for the power somehow and the other one is to control the servo. thats interesting to know. thanks.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by skeller

thats what i would like to know??? is it some kind of special order servo or something. I bought a $90 servo off of amain almost a year ago and i havent had a bit of trouble with it and i will bet your $45 dollar and hour pay check that i run mine harder than yours. thats my question.... Why spend $110 and wait a month? were are you buying it from and why does it take that long to get to you?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 AM
Tech Regular

thats what i would like to know??? is it some kind of special order servo or something. I bought a $90 servo off of amain almost a year ago and i havent had a bit of trouble with it and i will bet your $45 dollar and hour pay check that i run mine harder than yours. thats my question.... Why spend $110 and wait a month? were are you buying it from and why does it take that long to get to you?
no, its a normal servo. I guarantee you run yours harder than mine, I use mine three times a week, for not even an hour total. and when I do drive, its always bashing, never a race.

Its not a month I have to wait when I order something, its approx 2 weeks, usually around 10 business days.

coming from the states into canada or vice versa takes FOREVER. about 10 or so days. To ship from canada to the UK, air is 7 days, boat is 12.

for me to send my servo in to get it fixed, it would take them about 12 days for them to get it, then they hold it for 2 days while working on it, then ship it and I get it about 12 days after that... like 26 days, hence the month wait.

when I order from carolinasrc, ebay, anything, its usually two weeks, and 99% of the time they choose the slowest/cheapest shipping option available.

when I hear you guys in the states ordering stuff on monday and getting it wed, thurs, or fri... man thats ridiculous, I honestly didnt even know shipping was that fast, its been 2 weeks for as long as I could remember.

how about when you see stuff on tv... they say "allow 6-8 weeks delivery"... wtf is with that?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Addict

i know what you mean on playing the waiting game. i'm stationed in england and i have to wait about 7 to 10 days for my stuff to get to me. sometimes 2 weeks. try ordering some stuff from amainhobbies. you can chose different shipping methods... not entirely sure if they ship to canada. but one other thing when you get a new one in the future try rerouting your wires a different way move your reciver box around to a better location so that your wires cross the least amount of moving parts. as you can tellmoving parts + wires = bad news. but i would consider getting a new servos in the near future. that one could start glitching before too long. so if you adimint about waiting for a long time to get stuff it would be somethign to look into.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Regular

i know what you mean on playing the waiting game. i'm stationed in england and i have to wait about 7 to 10 days for my stuff to get to me. sometimes 2 weeks. try ordering some stuff from amainhobbies. you can chose different shipping methods... not entirely sure if they ship to canada. but one other thing when you get a new one in the future try rerouting your wires a different way move your reciver box around to a better location so that your wires cross the least amount of moving parts. as you can tellmoving parts + wires = bad news. but i would consider getting a new servos in the near future. that one could start glitching before too long. so if you adimint about waiting for a long time to get stuff it would be somethign to look into.
yeah I know you can choose different shipping methods, I always choose the cheapest ont.

and I also rerouted the wires, theyre not near the spur gear anymore

thanks for the help, I def will get new servos in the future, this is kind of a temporary fix.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by new to rc cars

The colors are different on the wires, but there is 3 wires. I know to match black to black (or brown in this case) then middle one to middle one (duh) then the last one.

kind of unrelated, what do the 3 wires represent? im guessing one is turn clockwise, the other is to turn CC, but whats the third wire for?
black=negative
red=positive
white=ground

nice try though but the servo is a little more hi tech then you think the mother board will take care of what way it turns and so will the the rx the wire is just signal and power to the servo
Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Regional Moderator

The signal wire is used to communicate the angle. The angle is determined by the duration of a pulse that is applied to the signal wire. This is called Pulse Coded Modulation. The servo expects to see a pulse every 20 milliseconds (.02 seconds). The length of the pulse will determine how far the motor turns. A 1.5 millisecond pulse, for example, will make the motor turn to the 90 degree position (often called the neutral position). If the pulse is shorter than 1.5 ms, then the motor will turn the shaft to closer to 0 degress. If the pulse is longer than 1.5ms, the shaft turns closer to 180 degress.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.