R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Anti Lock Brakes ABS for off road?

When running off road, (1/8 buggy for me) Do any of you use the ABS features that higher end radios have?

It basically pulses the brake movement of the servo to not lock the wheels much like ABS systems in 1:1 scale cars

pros/cons/experiences?
phixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how about just set your brakes so they dont lock up even when floored.

cant remember exactly what its called, I know its easy to do though, so no matter what you did, the wheels would NOT lock up and slide, even on max brake.

I think the way to do that is how you adjust the front/back brake force, IE: some people run 60% front and 40% back.
new to rc cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phixd View Post
When running off road, (1/8 buggy for me) Do any of you use the ABS features that higher end radios have?

It basically pulses the brake movement of the servo to not lock the wheels much like ABS systems in 1:1 scale cars

pros/cons/experiences?
You will kill your servo when using ABS it is a cool feature but not piratical.. Try it and you will see if you like it leave it if you do not take it off.
HulkNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Tech Addict

I think instead of messing with ABS, try adjusting your brakes properly and you will probably be better off.

It took me some time to properly learn the usage of brakes LOL

but yea, buy a good set of brake discs, set your brake bias depending on the track conditions and your driving style. i learned if my kit was pushing in the turns, adjust your brake (linkages) to have more rear and less front. if your rear end tends to get out in front of you, adjust your brake (adjust your linkages) to generate more front brake. everybody always tries and use what they tend to find on the net, ie: 30% front and 70% rear...but if you try and understand what it actually does, it will be easier for you to apply and or better yet help out a friend at the track.

pretty soon you will find a setup that fits your driving style, after that point brakes are a thing of the past. at least thats how it worked out for me and a couple of others that i know lol im still trying to learn what does what and how it correlates with one another, and im always down to try and pass on what i learned along the way.

hope this helps.
Tonys Screws- Keeps you from getting screwed
Byrons Fuel- Makes the RC world go round

Last edited by Jesse; 05-16-2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: add on
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Tech Regular

no on the ABS for off road tried with brake fade and track changes wast off time
8lackflagracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

ABS=dead servo not necessary man , use your trigger finger and proper linkage adjustment and you will be mucho happy !!
happy motoring ,
monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

dont even bother that(abs) you will ruin ur servo ............
mbx5rcr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Tech Regular

If you dont want the wheels to lock, just set it so that your brake is only like 80%... enough to stop the car fast, but not enough to skid.
new to rc cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #9
Tech Master

I check my brakes before every run buy running the straight at top speed and hitting full brakes. I then adjust my EPA or ATV's so the wheels won't lock up at all. If youre track is watered, you will find that you will adjust the EPA more as the track dries out. As far as fr/rr bias, that is a personal feel. I accually don't know what my bias is set at, I know that the "feel" is ware it's the best for my driving style. I also have learned that in "racing" conditions if I have my wheels able to lock up, thinking I can give it the right amout of brakes with my finger so it won't lock up is impossible for me. In the heat of battle, being able to lock the wheels accually cost me on lap times.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I think instead of messing with ABS, try adjusting your brakes properly and you will probably be better off.

It took me some time to properly learn the usage of brakes LOL

but yea, buy a good set of brake discs, set your brake bias depending on the track conditions and your driving style. i learned if my kit was pushing in the turns, adjust your brake (linkages) to have more rear and less front. if your rear end tends to get out in front of you, adjust your brake (adjust your linkages) to generate more front brake. everybody always tries and use what they tend to find on the net, ie: 30% front and 70% rear...but if you try and understand what it actually does, it will be easier for you to apply and or better yet help out a friend at the track.

pretty soon you will find a setup that fits your driving style, after that point brakes are a thing of the past. at least thats how it worked out for me and a couple of others that i know lol im still trying to learn what does what and how it correlates with one another, and im always down to try and pass on what i learned along the way.

hope this helps.
+1 I prefer a front bias setup on my 4wd vehicles, as I usually to roll to the apex, then throttle it out like a TC. It does depend on corner and traction, but usually braking to the apex, letting the car slide and rotate to aim for the next turn is slower than rolling through the corners.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have used ABS only on the electric off road as it pulsed the electronic speedie on my losi 2wd. You really dont need ABS on any 4WD unless you really are bad at throttle control.
Yep I herd it kills servos very fast too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmCddStNyM

QLD State Titles winner in 6S EB CAT
MadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote