Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
PROs-Dragging brakes >

PROs-Dragging brakes

PROs-Dragging brakes

Old 05-16-2008, 02:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default PROs-Dragging brakes

I was wondering whether the PROs use a bit of brakes when on idle.
Whether they have their brakes barely dragging when cruising in the turns.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vti-chris

Definatly NOT.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vti-chris
NO... you need the wheels to spin freely when you are not manually applying the brakes... the only thing I can think of on brakes worse than dragging is no having any.

If your brakes drag, when you let off throttle over a jump the car will pull the nose down. (You will learn to use throttle and brake in the air to adjust how the car is "flying..." a bit of throttle in the air brings the nose up, and a bit of brake brings the nose down.) It also will mess with you on corners... let off the throttle and it automatically brakes... bad things happen.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've seen alot of fast guys running some drag brakes.... Not necessarly "pros" but at least paritally sponsored guys who may not beat Drake and Cav, but can be in the top 15-20% at big races.

I know I personally run faster with some drag brake, it makes my itchy brake finger more consistant when I use it less.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Yes some pros do use some drag brake, whereas others actually allow the car some roll at idle. The reason for drag brake is so that your car will slow without moving your trigger to the full brake position and also as Domit mentioned it will bring your nose down slightly just by letting off the trigger.

I would say a high percentage of the pros that use drag brake come from the electric scene. Many people from the "brushed" motor days are programmed to use some drag brake.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

it comes down to driving preference, i say try it and see if you like it, what works for some doesn't always work for everyone. People tend to jump on the band wagon for what the 'pros' are doing which is somewhat silly. Just drive with what setup you feel most comfortable with, and the setup of the car can only get you so far with your driving skills. I always try to get a good baseline for a track then practice practice practice.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Rookie

I personally don't know a single racer that uses or recommends running drag brakes, whether they are Pro's or not...Not one...

I won't ever recommend it because you'll be stressing the servo constantly, and I'm pretty sure it won't last as long as it could...Not to mention how hard it would be to drive...Plus the driveline will be wearing alot faster, and so on...I'm sure I could come up with more reasons why you shouldn't run drag brakes, but I think I made my point...

For the electric scene, I can see it, but not in the Nitro scene...

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...