Wiki Posts
Search

Losi/GRP Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Questions?? Losi/GRP Tires

Has anybody run the new Losi/GRP tires that just came out?
Just wandering if they would be a good purchase, to have in the arsenal, or not....

Just curious,
Thanks!

Old 05-15-2008, 02:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I "think" Frank used a set last weekend at the Pro series. But I never asked about them. And I can't remember for sure if he had them or he was getting them soon.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Exclamation

You know... Yeah Frank did have some, I think they were cubics...
Hmmmm...

I wonder if they worked pretty good for him? But of course its frank... He could roll on slicks and pit himself and still win by 2 laps... lol...
Old 05-15-2008, 03:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by thecman26
You know... Yeah Frank did have some, I think they were cubics...
Hmmmm...

I wonder if they worked pretty good for him? But of course its frank... He could roll on slicks and pit himself and still win by 2 laps... lol...
Yep, he did that once last year. He drove from half way up the drivers stand in Wic. When he needed fuel he walked down as he drove into the pit, fueled up, headed out the pit while walking up the drivers stand. Won the race. I love that story everytime he tells it. Probably why he has the partial sponsorship too, "he's the fastest Mofo you've never heard of"-- by Steve C. 2007
Old 05-15-2008, 04:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Lightbulb

Hell yeah, and WITH a pit guy... He is hell on wheels...
Old 05-15-2008, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

IMO they are the best you can get
Old 05-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Initiate

the grp tires are very good. the rubber is about same quality and perfomance as pro-line, and the insert is way better.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone know what if any differences there are between the tires that come directly from GRP compared to the ones that are sold through Losi? Did Losi insist on different rubber compounds, or are they made to Losi specs or are they just using the same tires on their rims that GRP normally sells? I like the Losi wheels, but the prices are a little high for a set of wheels and tires compared to buying the GRP brand (not the GRP tires with Losi's name on it).

$32 a set for the mounted losi's and $13 for the mouted GRP (1/8 scale buggy). That is a big difference. Not sure what the GRP wheels are like, but I will find out soon, because I ordered a couple mounted sets the other day. Guess I will find out.

Found the price difference interesting. Is it to good to be true??

Thanks,
Ed
Old 05-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Champion

The only thing I know is the compounds aren't the same between GRP and Losi. Like a GRP blue isn't the same as the Losi blue. That's bout all I know of.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Rookie

I noticed that GRP only listed medium and soft compounds in the description when I ordered the tires. But I noticed that they appear to be using the same insert. I guess I will find out how they work. Still $26 for 4 mounted tires compared to $32 for a pair (2) of mounted tires from Losi.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I checked my usual online haunts and can't find these for the price you listed. Where did you find them for that price?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Tower Hobbies,

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNAY9&P=SM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNXT2&P=SM

Thier prices are all over the place on some of the different tires. Are they just trying to move inventory?
Old 05-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have ran a few sets on the buggy and truggy and so far I think the new ones are just about as good as the old. Other than compound differences, I think the new tires are sized to the Losi rims vs. the old ones. Not a big issue for buggy. The old premount (buggy) wheels should be fine. I haven't broken one yet, but could be done. The GRP's don't seem to be as soft as many of the other tires out there, but seem to last longer for me which is a plus. A set of truggy tires range in from 50 to 100 bones, depending on where you get them and if they are premount or not. Tire wear for me is the issue vs. one run fast lap tires. Not sure why the prices seem to be so wide spread on the new premounts, but I think they should come down some once they have been out foe a while. The old ones did, at least in my area.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edh223
I noticed that GRP only listed medium and soft compounds in the description when I ordered the tires. But I noticed that they appear to be using the same insert. I guess I will find out how they work. Still $26 for 4 mounted tires compared to $32 for a pair (2) of mounted tires from Losi.

The prices are due to the fact that Great Planes aka Towerhobbies will no longer distribute GRP tires as the tires are going under the Losi brand name. So they are trying to closeout there stock of tires. I have bought a few sets through my local HobbyTown as Great Planes are honoring these prices as well. Don't let you lhs price gouge you and if you order them make sure to let them know to order them from GP to get these great prices. The part # will probably be different as well.

Support your local hobby shop before getting them on tower if possible.