R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LMFAO.

wow, I took my radio box apart and it was the cord that was cut. im going to go splice it back together and im assuming I can get away with that?
new to rc cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

atleast you know whats going on now!

its ok to splice very short term. best option would be to solder the wires and use heat shrink to cover the solder joins. you can also run heat shrink the entire length of the cable to protect it.

a local auto electrician will join them back up for $5.

as the servo pulls a fair bit of current i would be more inclined to solder then properly though i know you want to drive this arvo so splice them for now but do not leave it like that! its not worth riskign your dear servo over $5 or less.

i would look to see what has cut the wires, if its the radio box use a knife to open the exit hole larger or if its the spur gear etc use some cable ties to keep the wire away.

glad i could help.
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Wish I would have waited to hear that.

I just did them, It was kind of hard, I didnt do the best job I could have.

The part where I spliced started to smoke so I turned it off.

I turned it back on and it didnt smoke, so I turned the servo a few times, it turned, then the splice started to smoke, the receiver started to smoke, the battery connector started to smoke/melt and now thats wrecked. servo im pretty sure is wrecked, or I have to resplice it properly, I dont have a solder gun.

im done, fuck this, car for sale, this is ridiculous.

It was fun while it lasted, Ill definately get back to it in the future, time to buy some dirtbikes and quads.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

When you spliced the wires together did you not keep them seperated?? It sounds like your two wires touched and it fried the servo. One more thing if your servo tears up you can send it back to the manufacture and they will fix or replace it. Hate that you had a bad time but not knowing what your doing with electronics can ruin good parts and your day.
Big Billy's RC World
Baity's RC
rcdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdaddy View Post
When you spliced the wires together did you not keep them seperated?? It sounds like your two wires touched and it fried the servo. One more thing if your servo tears up you can send it back to the manufacture and they will fix or replace it. Hate that you had a bad time but not knowing what your doing with electronics can ruin good parts and your day.
Yes, I tried to keep them seperated but it was hard. I also should have taken the 3 wires apart, its hard when theyre all melted together (from the factory... cuz I also melted them.. by accident)

I knew some wired were touching, just 1 or 2 loose ones, the tape wasnt the greatest, garbage electrical tape.

either way I seen smoke coming from the splice part, my receiver, and the battery, which is now melted into the switch where they connect... just great.

I know what im doing with electronics, kinda, but I was in a rush and didnt think it would be a big deal... guess I just learnt the hard way.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:45 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by new to rc cars View Post
Wish I would have waited to hear that.

I just did them, It was kind of hard, I didnt do the best job I could have.

The part where I spliced started to smoke so I turned it off.

I turned it back on and it didnt smoke, so I turned the servo a few times, it turned, then the splice started to smoke, the receiver started to smoke, the battery connector started to smoke/melt and now thats wrecked. servo im pretty sure is wrecked, or I have to resplice it properly, I dont have a solder gun.

im done, fuck this, car for sale, this is ridiculous.

It was fun while it lasted, Ill definately get back to it in the future, time to buy some dirtbikes and quads.
Im sorry to hear your having such a hard time, sometimes when your new you do more harm then good when it comes to stuff like this.

On a side note if you think rc is expensive and frustrating you are in for a rude awakening with dirtbikes and quads! Been there done that and wont be returning any time soon.
blowpopracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowpopracer View Post
Im sorry to hear your having such a hard time, sometimes when your new you do more harm then good when it comes to stuff like this.

On a side note if you think rc is expensive and frustrating you are in for a rude awakening with dirtbikes and quads! Been there done that and wont be returning any time soon.
I know theyre expensive, but at this rate im going its not by much. I have to spend 100$ a day on my rc car pretty much, then wait 2 weeks for them to arrive, sometimes to find I have the wrong piece. my engine needs replacing, my electronics need replacing, too much shenanigans at this point.

I think im gonna sell most my stuff and get back into rc cars when I have more time on my hands, have a proper work area for it, not some tiny ass junk table that pisses me off.

I just dont understand how a half assed splice in the servo would have fried my receiver, battery pack, switch, everything, maybe the other servo too. and these are all fairly new electronics.

I dont have anywhere to race, dont have anyone to drive it with, dont have a LHS, dont have anyone to give me hands on advice, I just got this site/you guys which are awesome and taught me a lot.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by new to rc cars View Post
I know theyre expensive, but at this rate im going its not by much. I have to spend 100$ a day on my rc car pretty much, then wait 2 weeks for them to arrive, sometimes to find I have the wrong piece. my engine needs replacing, my electronics need replacing, too much shenanigans at this point.

I think im gonna sell most my stuff and get back into rc cars when I have more time on my hands, have a proper work area for it, not some tiny ass junk table that pisses me off.

I just dont understand how a half assed splice in the servo would have fried my receiver, battery pack, switch, everything, maybe the other servo too. and these are all fairly new electronics.

I dont have anywhere to race, dont have anyone to drive it with, dont have a LHS, dont have anyone to give me hands on advice, I just got this site/you guys which are awesome and taught me a lot.
It depends upon how you did your splice as to how it would burn up your electronics. In the end on stuff like replacing a lead I have found it best just to send it in for repair since they do it for very little cost. On a side note if you need any other help and wanna talk to someone direct pm me and I can give you my phone number.

Take care and dont give up yet!
blowpopracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowpopracer View Post
It depends upon how you did your splice as to how it would burn up your electronics. In the end on stuff like replacing a lead I have found it best just to send it in for repair since they do it for very little cost. On a side note if you need any other help and wanna talk to someone direct pm me and I can give you my phone number.

Take care and dont give up yet!
hey blowpop, thanks a lot for all the support and help man, I really appreciate it.

I just did the splice myself, I dont see why you guys wouldnt.... its the easiest thing in the world. Its not worth sending it in for just a small splice. I was impatient and didnt really care/realize how important it was.

If you go to the thread I made a few mins ago (weird question that probably no one has ever asked) you will find my progress.

I was lucky, happened to have a futabe servo sitting in the garbage can (lucky garbage day is on tuesday) so I took it out and cut the cable off it.

I just took my car for a drive and everything is working fine and man am I ever happy I didnt fry everything