R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default help about hyper 8 and hitec servo

Just bought hitec servo for my steering. But apparently the stock servo horn cannot fit the hitec gear head. Anybody know if there is substitute for the stock horn? Where to buy?

Thanks!
drakuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)
Send a message via MSN to zJatoRad

what hitec model did you buy? it should come with several horns, just replace the stock one with one that came with the servo.

if for some reason it didn't came with horns, go here:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/1_61_101

just make sure it fits Hitec.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

It is Hitec HS-5645MG.

The hitec's servo horn only has small holes to attach the steering rod, it can't fit hyper 8 size while the stock horn can't fit the hitec gear head.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakuli View Post
It is Hitec HS-5645MG.

The hitec's servo horn only has small holes to attach the steering rod, it can't fit hyper 8 size while the stock horn can't fit the hitec gear head.
drill it with 3mm drill bit
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
drill it with 3mm drill bit
+1, although I am not positive about the 3mm part. Drill it to fit the bolt... that's what I did on my old one. Exactly the same servo.

Also, just FYI... the Hitec 5645MG is not a very good steering servo, but it works great on throttle. (too weak AND too slow!)

What do you have on your throttle now? It might be worthwhile to see if it is a little stronger and faster to use it on the steering.

(I say this from personal experience... see signature... I have a 5645MG on my throttle now... it WAS my steering servo and just was NOT up to the task. I put a Futaba 9351 on steering and moved that servo to throttle, and it made an amazing difference in the way the car drives. That servo is perfectly adaquate for throttle and brake though.)

Hope that helps!
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

12kg is too weak???

i think it should be enough for me. anyway, i tried to drill a bigger hole into the plastic servo horn (the metal one is too hard and i don't have proper tool) and now it can fit the bolt. so thanks for the suggestion

however i face another problem. my servo just can't be centered and can't push the rod (to turn left).
i suspect it is affected by the screwdriver magnet. is there a way i can fix it or need to return the servo for replacement? or any chance it's not the servo fault?

thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakuli View Post
12kg is too weak???

i think it should be enough for me. anyway, i tried to drill a bigger hole into the plastic servo horn (the metal one is too hard and i don't have proper tool) and now it can fit the bolt. so thanks for the suggestion

however i face another problem. my servo just can't be centered and can't push the rod (to turn left).
i suspect it is affected by the screwdriver magnet. is there a way i can fix it or need to return the servo for replacement? or any chance it's not the servo fault?

thanks for the help guys!
It may be a setup issue. You need to remove the arm... then turn on your radio and put the arm on with the wheels centered... then turn it off and put the screw in. Get someone to help you set your endpoints too so you don't kill the servo.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Oh well.

I brought it to the shop just now and they said the gear was broken and accused me abused it. So no replacement but only repair and it takes one week. What the $%#@ ???

There is no way I will buy hitec again, ever.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Two things to remember. Not every lhs are nice and not every part is perfict. How many recalls can you think of? Befor you say never, check out what everyone is doing.
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Working Man View Post
Two things to remember. Not every lhs are nice and not every part is perfict. How many recalls can you think of? Befor you say never, check out what everyone is doing.
+1

That sounds like a crappy LHS. Both of my LHS's wouldn't have accused me of abusing the servo. Did you buy it from them? I wouldn't spend another dime in that place.

Talk with Hitec. Tell them you're having issues with your LHS. Again, I wouldn't write off Hitec because of this incident. Write off your LHS instead!!!

Dangit, when did all my favorite cars, trucks, airplanes, and engines become "vintage"???
Eccentric is offline   Reply With Quote