R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Tech Champion
 
air8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutch, KS
Posts: 5,748
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default A quick Novarossi Plus21 question

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4864

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/23889

Aside from price, what is the difference between these two engines? Is the non-"K" last years engine? I'm thinking the 21-5K is updated somewhere? Just wondering.

Thanx
__________________
--Driver...you are cleared into the track.....Smoke On.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 367
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

+1 Ive got one of the sale novas in my cart right now and want to know if it is worth it or if I should just get the 5k. Thanks a lot guys
clarksib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Tech Adept
 
TKCastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 118
Default

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=1639
__________________
Thats right!
TKCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
ezveedub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,411
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub
Default

The K engines have two relief ports under the exhaust port. The head button is also changed. It runs the same balanced crank though.
__________________
Kyosho, Mugen Seiki, Maxy's Fuel, KO Propo
O.S., Ninja JX, Novarossi, RMV
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,088
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

the vertical transfer ports have been switched to the other side of the horizontal transfers , on p5, p5x, p5xs, plus 21-5 the verticals are closest to the exhaust , on 21-5k they are closest to rear main intake with diverters in the block to match . new style thick top ring sleeves to hold pinch at peak performance pinch longer is also another difference .
plus 21-5 is a great engine and if you wanna buy a 7 port piston/sleeve or 421b (821b) p/s set and make it faster you can .
hope this helps ,
monty
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Tech Champion
 
air8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutch, KS
Posts: 5,748
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Oh this info helps alright. Thanks guys. I originally sought to purchase a 421B with the understanding it was a 4-port engine. Much to my surprise it's an 8-port. Well I didn't find the 421 for sale so I've decided on the 821B for my Truggy, and the buggy will get the Plus21 5-port. Probably the K with the intentions of moving to the 7-port sleeve later in the year, or next season.

Thanx a bunch guys.
__________________
--Driver...you are cleared into the track.....Smoke On.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,080
Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)
Default

Hi Guys,

I have a P5X turbo head and there seem to be a little play in the conrod when the piston is at TDC.

Is it better to only replace the conrod or get the piston/sleeve conrod combo of a different family? (eg. Plus 21-5K & 5KT, CEO Power Mods Novarossi RX21P5X Piston or Plus 21-7 Turbo)

Thanks!
razor_clawzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:34 AM   #8
Tech Champion
 
thecman26's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 7,688
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Oh this info helps alright. Thanks guys. I originally sought to purchase a 421B with the understanding it was a 4-port engine. Much to my surprise it's an 8-port. Well I didn't find the 421 for sale so I've decided on the 821B for my Truggy, and the buggy will get the Plus21 5-port. Probably the K with the intentions of moving to the 7-port sleeve later in the year, or next season.

Thanx a bunch guys.
Dude, you dont need all that power! Save your money and throw a modded 3 port (like an OS VG) in both of them.... Get better runtime and pretty good power to boot... I heard guys around here getting 10-11 minutes a tank with the right pipe.... That and its half the price... $145 for the VG vs $300+ But who am I to give advice, I just dropped almost $300 on a C6, so dont listen to me!
__________________
Chris Keen: Viola, Kansas
Kyosho RZ6, TLR 22 3.0, TLR 4.0 SR (soon),& 22T 3.0
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!", Col. Sanders
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:59 AM   #9
Tech Champion
 
air8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutch, KS
Posts: 5,748
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Problem is I've had bad luck with the VG's. One of them the crank walks back and forth about 4mm and hits the crankcase internally. The other one developed a front bearing leak that was horrible. Both less than a gallon. Then my awesome 3 port Novarossi 21BF broke the con rod bushing into pieces after about 5 gallons. And apparently this is to be expected from that 3 port. All that and I'm much improved from last year, so it's time for the next step up. I think the 3 port might be holding me back slightly. I'll find out though. The 21BF is getting refreshed for a backup, so the 5 port can be the big race engine. If the Plus21 is too much I can always let off the trigger. LOL.
__________________
--Driver...you are cleared into the track.....Smoke On.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:04 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
ezveedub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,411
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor_clawzz View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a P5X turbo head and there seem to be a little play in the conrod when the piston is at TDC.

Is it better to only replace the conrod or get the piston/sleeve conrod combo of a different family? (eg. Plus 21-5K & 5KT, CEO Power Mods Novarossi RX21P5X Piston or Plus 21-7 Turbo)

Thanks!
If you have play on the rod only with good compression/pinch, replace the rod. Check the crank though, to see if its out-of-round, as that can cause play also. Bearing would be a good replacement at rod replacement IMO.
__________________
Kyosho, Mugen Seiki, Maxy's Fuel, KO Propo
O.S., Ninja JX, Novarossi, RMV
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:09 AM   #11
Tech Champion
 
thecman26's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 7,688
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Problem is I've had bad luck with the VG's. One of them the crank walks back and forth about 4mm and hits the crankcase internally. The other one developed a front bearing leak that was horrible. Both less than a gallon. Then my awesome 3 port Novarossi 21BF broke the con rod bushing into pieces after about 5 gallons. And apparently this is to be expected from that 3 port. All that and I'm much improved from last year, so it's time for the next step up. I think the 3 port might be holding me back slightly. I'll find out though. The 21BF is getting refreshed for a backup, so the 5 port can be the big race engine. If the Plus21 is too much I can always let off the trigger. LOL.
I hear ya man! Well if money was no object, then I would recommend the C6.. $339 on amain for the turbo version, motor only... Mated to an RB 2045 pipe is absolutely SINFULL (powermad).. . Why do ya think I bought one..... But seriously you cant go wrong with a P5, cool has a few in his bag of tricks... Also any of the JP motors are excellent!
__________________
Chris Keen: Viola, Kansas
Kyosho RZ6, TLR 22 3.0, TLR 4.0 SR (soon),& 22T 3.0
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!", Col. Sanders
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
jamminnay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 2,012
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay
Default

i am a fan of the rb ws7iii.. tons of power and excelllent runtime
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:17 AM   #13
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ont. Can
Posts: 399
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

I have a stock P5XS for my buggy and a RB mods P5X for my truggy. Any suggestions on Pipes and glow plugs? I run 30% sidewinder and JP-1-2-3`s on my other stuff?
__________________
RYAN MCKAY
Owner / Operator of The BarnYard. 1/5 outdoor, 1/8 out/indoor, 1/10 indoor.
teamcracing.net
sweepracingusa.com
smc-racing.net
fuzz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 334
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor_clawzz View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a P5X turbo head and there seem to be a little play in the conrod when the piston is at TDC.

Is it better to only replace the conrod or get the piston/sleeve conrod combo of a different family? (eg. Plus 21-5K & 5KT, CEO Power Mods Novarossi RX21P5X Piston or Plus 21-7 Turbo)

Thanks!
Hmmm, the exact same thing happened to me with my LRP .28, except I have A LOT of slack... in mine.
new to rc cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
the vertical transfer ports have been switched to the other side of the horizontal transfers , on p5, p5x, p5xs, plus 21-5 the verticals are closest to the exhaust , on 21-5k they are closest to rear main intake with diverters in the block to match . new style thick top ring sleeves to hold pinch at peak performance pinch longer is also another difference .
plus 21-5 is a great engine and if you wanna buy a 7 port piston/sleeve or 421b (821b) p/s set and make it faster you can .
hope this helps ,
monty
hi Houston,

what is the main different between the plus21-5 and plus 21-5k? plus 21-5k is a newer engine compare to the plus21-5 , but strangely is that how come the plus21-5 is stil more costly.
mind sharing what is the major different between this two engine ?
on the other hand in buggy racing turbo or non-turbo are better?
hope u don't mind sharing your knowledge. thanks
novaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novarossi 35 plus21 rcdoktor2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 07-06-2008 08:52 PM
XB8EC with Novarossi Plus21-5KT HELP! Engine problem. sportssedanman Nitro Off-Road 5 02-21-2008 03:05 AM
EB MOD... NOVAROSSI PLUS21-5... Smoothone R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 08-09-2007 04:47 PM
a quick question benraldo the ho Electric On-Road 7 03-29-2004 10:46 AM
Quick question? lazarus Electric On-Road 3 03-17-2004 11:13 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:43 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net