Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do these prefilters work ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Default Do these prefilters work ?

Just wanted to get some honest input from people that are currently using these outerwears performance prefilter covers .http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/16579 The track that I currently race at is muddy at times and have found that there is water and mud on my current prefilter after the first few heats. I have extra prefilters that I change out, However it would be nice not to have to think about it. Thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have one in my truggy. I'm not a big fan, keeps the clumps out, but the filter is still really dirty by the end of the day.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tell ya what I've been doing since I started nitro, go to Farm & Fleet and get yourself a $3 roll of Vetrap. It's ankle bandaging for horses, think about it: What do bandages do? Keep dirt out, while allowing air to circulate through it. Sounds like an air filter to me.

I cut the rolls to the length of my air filter & loosely apply 3 or 4 layers as an outside element, then once a layer gets dirty I unwrap it and cut it off.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:40 AM
Tech Addict

Arrow Filter Covers

In my opinion these cheaper ones actually work better...
The Outerwears are a fine plastic screen material and fit much looser than the "Filter Covers" (Generic Name). These other filter covers are made of a nylon stretch stuff with a shiny side on the outside. They are quite different from Outerwears, and yes you can Scotch Gard them to make them very resistant to water and mud. They wont get caught in your linkage like the Outerwear's, because they are adjustable and fit skin tight to the filter. You can only find them on Ebay and in a few hobby shops. The nice thing is they are half the price @ $6.99 of Outerwear's and make the filter last 4 timers longer!!! They really do work well, I've been running them for years...!

Anyways, here is the link to the Ebay store were I found them:
http://stores.ebay.com/UndergroundRCParts
Old 05-14-2008, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys for those that have use the Underground filter does the engine get hotter due to less air?? I call Outwear to order something else and talk to them about there pre-Airfilter product and was saying that the underground one fit better on the filter than the outwear one the lady she was very nice stated that they were testing one thats like the Underground one but the engine did not get that much air compare to the one they have out now.. For those that have use the underground one do you see high temp on the engine at times???

THank
Felix
Old 05-14-2008, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HulkNT1
Guys for those that have use the Underground filter does the engine get hotter due to less air?? I call Outwear to order something else and talk to them about there pre-Airfilter product and was saying that the underground one fit better on the filter than the outwear one the lady she was very nice stated that they were testing one thats like the Underground one but the engine did not get that much air compare to the one they have out now.. For those that have use the underground one do you see high temp on the engine at times???

THank
Felix
That's pure marketing bologna, or if you prefer a stronger term bull****
Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Less air entering the carb would mean a richer setting, so I think the engine would actually run cooler.