Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Why are all buggy wheels completely solid now? >

Why are all buggy wheels completely solid now?

Why are all buggy wheels completely solid now?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Why are all buggy wheels completely solid now?

I'm assuming they simply do a better job of keeping dirt/mud from entering the inside of the wheel? I really like the traditional (old school) 5 spoke directional wheels available for the 8ight, they look much better IMO. I also club race and want to be semi-competitive, do the conventional solid wheels offer much more of a performance advantage? Are they much more durable?

Thanks as always.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cannondale1974
I'm assuming they simply do a better job of keeping dirt/mud from entering the inside of the wheel? I really like the traditional (old school) 5 spoke directional wheels available for the 8ight, they look much better IMO. I also club race and want to be semi-competitive, do the conventional solid wheels offer much more of a performance advantage? Are they much more durable?

Thanks as always.
yes and yes.

They capture a lot of dirt and dust, and they are a lot more durable, I heard spoke wheels can twist, Ive never seen it happen but I believe it. IMO I think dish wheels look better AND everyoneknows they perform better.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I do sometimes miss the look of spoked wheels and they are lighter. BUT under anything other than dry or bluegroove; they get mud packed.

They're also generally weaker and for most racers; this isn't a good thing.

I've never seen the PL Wabash or the Advantage spoked wheels break or fail; but have seen a few warp and get runout; but I can say the same about the PL Velocity and Ofna dish units as well.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've never heard anything like this... I'm currently running the Kyosho 10 spokes and don't have a problem with them.

Spoke wheels are the preferred choice at my local track, on buggys and truggys. I've got a set of Jconcepts Rulux in the mail actually

Just for perspective, our track is getting seriously blown out, due for an over haul. I've never seen anyone break a wheel unless it was a sportwerks brand.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mblgjr
I do sometimes miss the look of spoked wheels and they are lighter. BUT under anything other than dry or bluegroove; they get mud packed.

They're also generally weaker and for most racers; this isn't a good thing.

I've never seen the PL Wabash or the Advantage spoked wheels break or fail; but have seen a few warp and get runout; but I can say the same about the PL Velocity and Ofna dish units as well.
Not if you spray them with wd-40 first
Old 05-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Furadi
Not if you spray them with wd-40 first
Doesn't help when the mud is deep enough for the car to sink more than the height of the sidewall
Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mblgjr
Doesn't help when the mud is deep enough for the car to sink more than the height of the sidewall
That doesn't sound like racing
Old 05-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default spokes

I have felt a little difference between the proline spoke wheels and soild dish. It does flexs a little on corners, but i think it saves your shocks more when you crash? the soild ones seems to be soild with brake and steering on corners, though it breaks the shocks more. maybe im wrong? i like the look on spoke wheels, even though the dished also has dirt stick inside when you hit soft outside turn.