R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Stronger replacement body for the 8ight? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/221713-stronger-replacement-body-8ight.html)

Cannondale1974 05-12-2008 09:20 PM

Stronger replacement body for the 8ight?

Did a search and found no answers for this one. I broke the small nose piece off my 8ight body racing the past couple weeks. Is there a better after market body with thicker lexan or do most people reinforce this area with some fiberglass cloth or carbon fiber?

Thanks!

air8 05-12-2008 09:27 PM

Trim the nose piece off. No more worries.

thecman26 05-12-2008 09:40 PM

Yeah that works!
But eventually all bodies end up in the trash can cause lexan cracks eventually....
No body lasts forever...
But there IS the $100 carbon fiber body... Hmmmm....

infanterene 05-12-2008 09:49 PM

Try the Jconcepts bodies. They make them in 2 thicknesses, .040 and .060. I have seen them actually cut a body post off instead of breaking.

oldguyzrule 05-12-2008 10:21 PM

flex

Seem's to me it is the chassis flex that causes the nose peice to come off. Happened to me once then I made both the front and rear body mount holes about 3/8 of an inch long, and now have about 4 gallons on the same body.

boostfiend 05-13-2008 02:05 AM

How about THIS?

:)

DOMIT 05-13-2008 07:22 AM

Well... the carbon body LOOKS sweet! Carbon is less flexible and therefore more brittle though... and no windows means it isn't class legal in many races.

Majestic does make a .6 lexan body. I'm picking one up this week. The .6 body is a trade off... it is of course heavier (not by that much!) and given that it is stiffer, it is tougher... but also the extra stiffness CAN lead to extra tendacies to crack if you leave a "stress riser" (any kind of sharp corner in any cutout.)

One of the folks made a good suggestion though... elongate the holes for the body posts front-to-rear a bit. In particular, make the hole longer toward the back of the front post, and toward the front of the back post. This allows the chassis to flex without putting stress on the body. (And they DO flex!!!!)

Integra 05-13-2008 07:32 AM

i reinforce my body holes with drywall tape and silicone....works like a charm....even fixes slices from too much pressure when cutting the mask. :)

boostfiend 05-13-2008 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by DOMIT (Post 4440373)
Well... the carbon body LOOKS sweet! Carbon is less flexible and therefore more brittle though... and no windows means it isn't class legal in many races.

Not to mention it is a fine electrical conductor. Not a real problem for us nitro guys, but it *could* cause radio issues...

It may be funny seeing the marshalls get zapped when they flip ya back over though... hehe.

Wouldn't mind a CF wing though....

Cannondale1974 05-13-2008 06:16 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like the holes were too snug around the body posts, I'll elongate them a bit and see how that works.

That carbon fiber body looks incredible! I have my doubts about durability though given how stiff it may be. (like someone else mentioned)

boostfiend 05-13-2008 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cannondale1974 (Post 4442103)
Thanks for the advice guys, looks like the holes were too snug around the body posts, I'll elongate them a bit and see how that works.

That carbon fiber body looks incredible! I have my doubts about durability though given how stiff it may be. (like someone else mentioned)

I remember an old tech tip from RCCA back when where a guy used a soldering iron to 'burn' the holes thru the body, which builds up some melted plastic around the hole, thus making it a bit thicker around the hole.

Heat changes most plastics and makes them more brittle. BUT it may be worth trying.

Personally, I see a body as a simple way to keep the dirt out and show off any sponsors. It's a major wear item and will need to be replaced the more you run the car.

DirtyDezPirate 05-13-2008 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by boostfiend (Post 4441280)
Not to mention it is a fine electrical conductor. Not a real problem for us nitro guys, but it *could* cause radio issues...

It may be funny seeing the marshalls get zapped when they flip ya back over though... hehe.

Wouldn't mind a CF wing though....

if wing was carbon fiber, it would break eventually.

DirtyDezPirate 05-13-2008 09:23 PM

i drill mine a little bigger due to chassis flexing around, and use half inch clear lexan washers on top. i didnt have problem with it. Also try some shoe goo. Some of my buddies used hockey grip tape. on the inside body.

boostfiend 05-13-2008 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyDezPirate (Post 4442780)
if wing was carbon fiber, it would break eventually.

So you're saying I wreck a lot? hehe :)

DOMIT 05-14-2008 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by boostfiend (Post 4442800)
So you're saying I wreck a lot? hehe :)

No... they're saying it only takes one good smack. Carbon is brittle compared to the plastic normally used. :(