Wiki Posts
Search

TTR EB4 S3 or Hyper 8.5

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default TTR EB4 S3 or Hyper 8.5

which one? which is better, more reliable, their both around the same price, cant decide, any ideas?
Old 05-04-2008, 02:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

You cant go wrong with the hyper 8.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

my .2 cents
Old 05-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

As a former owener of a S3 and spent a crap load on every option part including a longer flat chassis and was a much better performer.
Sold it and got a Hyper 8.5 and it craps on the S3 in every aspect.

8.5 HANDS DOWN
Old 05-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I have never seen the EB4 in person or racing so I can't comment on it, but I do have a Hyper 8.5 and it's awesome! you really can't go wrong with it.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

I still drive Hyper8.

I'm satisfy.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Looks like its the Hyper 8.5 so far, any other opinoins?
Old 05-05-2008, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by TTR:EB4
Looks like its the Hyper 8.5 so far, any other opinoins?
WHy are you stuck with these two options? Just curious bro....Anyway, my vote will go with the Hyper 8.5. The TT is just outdated, looks cheap, and parts are hard to get.

Anyway, truggy class is getting the best of me
Old 05-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i'm looking at getting the 8.5 too. it seems like a solid race car for the money. i have the jammin x1x truggy and its a sik truck. however i dont have the extra $500 + to spend on a new buggy. people i've spoke to on different threads seem to like the 8.5.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the 8.5 is a good, stable car. There are a couple things to do to make it a tad lighter, but its still a very capable car.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:49 AM
Tech Initiate

I've been racing a S3 for almost 2 years and can honestly say it is one of the most dependable cars on the market. There are some of the red optional parts on my car including the KINGS HEAD center brace on the stock chassis.

The only two things I have replaced are a wing mount (taken out by a novice racer) and a main chassis (hit 3 times while upside down due to poor turn marshalling).
Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 8.5

There is no comparison 8.5 all the way...
Old 05-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Thunder tiger EB4 S3

Hi,

I'm with the TT but I guess I'm biased . I have run 1 almost every weekend on Sundays for about 2 hrs+ for the past year & have not met with any major issues. The fuel tank is the only occasional problematic area. I did replace some parts recently due to wear & tear. Some plastic balls, lower f/r arms as they look pretty beatup.

Out of the box, there are some upgrade parts that will help with performance while other upgrades are more because of bling factor. the oem brake need to be replaced with the heatsink brake, the rear brace to the red aluminium is also a good idea. Other Al upgrades are more for ego (but I went for them anyway ). One of the more unique design features of the S3 is the recessed front shocks that sit between the structure of the upper arms. This ensures that the front shocks are well protect from accidents self inflicted (me) or otherwise.

I had a race recently that showcased the durability of the buggy. My buggy was stantionary half way on the straight waiting for the start of my heat while another came at it WOT full speed. The end result was a bent rear shock shaft for me while the other had multiple breakages (so I heard). My fault for standing by at the location though. Went ahead & ran the qualifier anyway & qualified 3rd for the heat but qualified overall 1st for the B main (in a field of about 16).

By the way, I think TT parts are pretty decent quality. I run this buggy because there is support at my LHS & they are durable. I'm a poor driver that tends to abuse my rc vehicles .

My other 2 S3s are for competition use. I run them during races.

Regards,
Joe Ling

PS : The problem with the TT is that it has been put aside in favour of the RC8. So, there's little media coverage for it.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i wold not get a TTR, i ran one for a whole year, i have all the blone diffs to prove it. i did not have a problem at first but after about two to three weeks i was blowing two to three diffs a weekend i was not duilding the diffs wrong they just snapped teeth of of one of the spider gears.
With that being said i will through another option out there, what about a OCM kaos Dt-19 evo, this is about the same price as the TTR and the 8.5 hovever it has the CNC aluminum hop ups that many people end up buying anyways, it is top notch on the design, quality of parts, customer survace, and drive ability, you would not be disappointed with this buggy.you can find them on a-main, carolinas r/c, basicly any major r/c site.
hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Originally Posted by CHogle
i wold not get a TTR, i ran one for a whole year, i have all the blone diffs to prove it. i did not have a problem at first but after about two to three weeks i was blowing two to three diffs a weekend i was not duilding the diffs wrong they just snapped teeth of of one of the spider gears.
With that being said i will through another option out there, what about a OCM kaos Dt-19 evo, this is about the same price as the TTR and the 8.5 hovever it has the CNC aluminum hop ups that many people end up buying anyways, it is top notch on the design, quality of parts, customer survace, and drive ability, you would not be disappointed with this buggy.you can find them on a-main, carolinas r/c, basicly any major r/c site.
hope this helps.
You will also get the best customer support in the industry. Gauranteed!
Old 05-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I had a TTR S3 and its a good buggy, BUT it is not a patch on a 8.5 out of the box. My S3 was the first batch and i got a up date kit for free. ( New tank with splash guard, new center diff brace, new ball links so you can use all type of rims) For free!! I had problems in rear traction till i bought the new LWB flat chassis. By this stage I lost stage on how much i spent.
You have to have the option front and rear shock towers as the standard ones are like cheese. Should have the optional towers in the box. The hyper towers are as good as the TTR optional.

The diffs are good and are the same internals as ofna, Kyosho and the RC8 . I did blow one up but i didn't shim it right, my fault. In genral the H8 is better package and more forgiving. The 8.5 is even better but I stick with standard clutch shoes not the alloy ones in thr kit.

I went backwards for a long time with the S3 compared to my Hyper 7 pro.
The H8 and 8.5 are a better buggy.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.