R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #91
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KThatcher View Post
Yes they have raised the prices from last year with another one to come again next year...
Not sure thats in stone... they went a few years without an increase. I get a postcard and an email in November if there is going to be a price increase... far as I know, its July.
Ed Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #92
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgear View Post

Solution, think of the transponder as a performance enhancement devise. Mount it at the very front so next time you are in one of those one in a thousand races where 2 of you cross the line at the same time yours counts first.

Ed M.

Not necessarily. I had an instance where the system registered a tie. The win went to the car with the TP in the rear. Remember the TP's "crossed the line" at the same time... not the car.

An exaggerated example... which car would you say won??
Attached Thumbnails
AMBrc Monopoly...-who-won.jpg  
Ed Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:47 AM   #93
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I got to thinking about that MRT bulk order, and you're really not saving much. If you choose the custom option i.e. shorter lead or different color LED they come out to $73 a piece for 10. Thats only $3 less than if you buy one. Still a deal, but c'mon 3 dollars savings if you buy 10.
And to that example above, I think you just made his point for him! If the car in front would have had the PT in front he would have won.
jla8874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:57 AM   #94
Tech Rookie

For the record AMB serves a much bigger market then rc racing...go to there site. Actually NASCAR , speed skating , bobsled etc use the AMB sytem(s)
HighPowerHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #95
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jamminnay Send a message via MSN to jamminnay

amb serves all kinds of motorsports with there fine products.. they truly have a mononpoly right now and i just dont see it changing anytime soon
jamminnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #96
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPowerHobby View Post
For the record AMB serves a much bigger market then rc racing...go to there site. Actually NASCAR , speed skating , bobsled etc use the AMB sytem(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminnay View Post
amb serves all kinds of motorsports with there fine products.. they truly have a mononpoly right now and i just dont see it changing anytime soon

And until the RC market grows enough that their total sales justify a price decrease, which I don't see happening anytime soon since there are comparatively so few of us, or someone else gets into the market and makes a drastic price difference relative to AMB I just don't see it happening...
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #97
Tech Master

The RC market is probably 10% or less of AMB's business, so if they decided to discontinue the RC products they wouldn't be out much! In fact the AMBrc3 decoder actually works for other racing venues as well as RC. The difference is in the firmware.
Bob Malphurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #98
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to IanWright

hmm. Basic economics. Scarcity value, as mentioned before there is no other on the market that is compatable without cloning.

Plus they don't very often go wrong so say a racer has two cars, spends $200 on two transponders he is now likely to not need to purchase an AMb product again - AMb are not going to have a lot of repeat customers and not make repeat sales. Engines wear out, cars get replaced or upgraded, servos wear out and get upgraded and recievers get upgraded and so on... transponders do one job and are a standard and last. That will keep the price rising up until a point.

The worst product to produce from a business perspective is something that doesn't wear out, rarely needs replacing and doesn't need upgrading. So for it to keep making money from people coming into the sport it needs to have high profit margin on each unit...

Also some ne mentioned they are a European company, my understanding was they are Australian but either way, yes, the price rise is due to the current weakness of the dollar. I make my money in Dollars and when i am in the UK i suffer for it right now...
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:53 AM   #99
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWright View Post
hmm. Basic economics. Scarcity value, as mentioned before there is no other on the market that is compatable without cloning.

Plus they don't very often go wrong so say a racer has two cars, spends $200 on two transponders he is now likely to not need to purchase an AMb product again - AMb are not going to have a lot of repeat customers and not make repeat sales. Engines wear out, cars get replaced or upgraded, servos wear out and get upgraded and recievers get upgraded and so on... transponders do one job and are a standard and last. That will keep the price rising up until a point.

The worst product to produce from a business perspective is something that doesn't wear out, rarely needs replacing and doesn't need upgrading. So for it to keep making money from people coming into the sport it needs to have high profit margin on each unit...

Also some ne mentioned they are a European company, my understanding was they are Australian but either way, yes, the price rise is due to the current weakness of the dollar. I make my money in Dollars and when i am in the UK i suffer for it right now...

One of my Transponders is going on 7 years sure got my moneys worth out of it so $105 over 7 years = $15 a year

Pretty cheap considering the amount of $$$$ we spend on racing
Slippery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #100
Tech Addict

The story i heard about AMb... the guy that came up with it was looking for a project to do for a university degree in electronics, his friend or brother raced RC cars and suggested he came up with something so more accurate and easier than a guy calling numbers as the cars went by and another hitting a button on a computer or making a mark with a pencil to count laps.

Not sure how accurate that is, would be a great story if it is...
Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #101
Tech Addict

Ok, they are Dutch... from the website:

AMB i.t. (Identification and Timing) was founded in The Netherlands, Europe on January 1, 1982. The company was named after its founder Alfonsus (Fons) Maria Bervoets.

In 1981, Mr. Bervoets developed a portable timing computer for model racing cars. Fons' brother, Pieter Bervoets, at the time owned a company named Serpent Racing Cars B.V. who still manufactures model racing cars. Pieter was looking for a secure and accurate timing system to make the racing events with the model cars more professional and attractive to newcomers.

Fons Bervoets and Frans Hin, friends from college, began working on a prototype of a transponder timing and scoring system for model car racing. Fons and Frans provided Pieter with a prototype which was implemented in a European Championship for model cars in Heemstede, The Netherlands.

After the huge success of the portable timing computer, AMB as a company was founded in 1982. AMB focused on producing a system that would extend the possiblities of the first portable timing computer. In 1983, Fons and Frans developed their first automatic timing and scoring system: the AMB 8300.

The first pre-production timing and scoring system for cars, the AMB 9000, was created in 1987. In 1989, the AMB 9000 system was used in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. AMB gradually began work on timing systems for other motorized and non-motorized sports such as Auto and Motorcycle Racing, Karting, Horse Racing and Bicycle Racing.

In 1996, Fons and Frans decided to step back from managing the company to focus on their common passion again: working with the R&D team to develop the world's most advanced timing and scoring systems. A new management team was introduced with Harry Q. van Dooren as President and CEO of AMB Products. A year later AMB Products changed its name to AMB i.t. (AMB Identification and Timing).

In 1997, AMB introduced the TranX160 and the TranX260 Personal Transponder, a giant step forward in the field of automatic timing and scoring. A Personal Transponder has a unique identification and timing number. When a car or motorcycle passes the finish line, the system identifies the transponder number, combines this with the exact passing time and sends this data to the computer.

In 1998, AMB started Track Timing, a wholly-owned subsidiary of AMB, which is devoted to making software solutions exclusively with AMB hardware. Track Timing's software is being used by IRL, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, ChampCar, AMA, NASCAR and many more.

To further improve the service and support to AMB customers worldwide, AMB started opening offices around the world. In 1998, an office in the U.S. was opened, which moved to a larger building in 2000. To support the Asian market in a more effective and efficient way, AMB opened an Asian office in Hong Kong and an office in Tokyo, Japan in 2001. In October 2002, AMB opened an office in Australia.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #102
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

An FYI for you guys... From time to time MRT has some refurbished to new condition PT's that they sell for a sweet price. I just picked up the exact one I was looking for(short lead, tab-less, blue LED) for fiddy five bucks! At the time they had one more left with a standard length lead. So you basically get a brand new PT for $55. Email Terry if you want one because they dont last long.
jla8874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #103
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmItH_aLeX View Post
ohh yep complain complain complain, tell you what! why dont you get the government involved and sue them because they are price gouging on your personals, come on now,

im 17 got a min. wage job and i bought one, didn't like it, but they save headaches and if your house transponder is broken, falls out, cant find it, or you put the wrong one in, your get yelled at/ laps docked, with a personal no problem.

maybe don't drink a starbucks every day and save that money? figure ways around it rather than just complaining.
It's attitudes like this that need to change. We deserve to be spending alot less than 100 bux for a damn PT.

You shouldn't have to just deal with it, sure, maybe it's one less darn thing you have to remember, but for those other people than one more darn thing is just completely out of their reach because they have other stuff they have to pay for in addition outside of RC. YES, it is just a hobby, thats WHY it SHOULD be less than 100 bux for a damn PT...
rustlerboi1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I don't agree with the high price either, but it sure beats the old days when you put number stickers on the cars and called out the number when they crossed the line and somebody punched the numbers in it the computer!!

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

Now let me guess, Are the AMB personals made in china too?
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote