R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.s. power View Post
I think what you are all forgetting about here is that these things were only $50 a few years ago. In less than 5 years they have doubled in price for absolutely no reason other than the fact that amb have the corner on this market and people will pay for them no matter what because of the conveinence they offer.
This is exactly right. I paid $55 6 years ago for my first one. The one I had to buy a year ago because I was sick of switching between different cars is identical to my original one and I had to pay $105 for it. I don't mind paying for PT's because like others have said, it's the best thing introduced in the last 10 years IMO. But when AMB or whoever the distributor is that's setting the pricing doubles the price just because they know they can, that's wrong. I'm a sales rep and we have a word for that. RAPE.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

ITs the fact that for them to make it it costs less than 10 dollars, easy. They used to be very cheap, 60-70 dollars afaik. They have realised they can make up bullshit excuses to raise the price and nobody can stop them or can compete with them.

Its as simple as that, nutil there is 2-3 manufacturers it will stay like that.

It sucks too
LogiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:02 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well all you guys are looking at it from a racer's point , think about the track owner that shells out 7k for a new system and now has to say" you need a personal to race " the new racer turns around and goes home .
I am a track owner with out a hobby shop for support ,granted this gives me more time for a better track, but less $ to spend for track transponders.
The price for the newe system is crazy too. So think of it as a track owner too.
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

No matter how you look at it, its overpriced period. As for someone with a receiver that just sits there, sorry, they device actually is doing more work than a transponder.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:53 AM   #35
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

www.team-mrt.com They can make cloned transponders if you already have one of your own or they can make some similar to house style transponders that have their own "number". Both are smaller than amb personals, hold up as good and come in different colors for those anal retentive guys! Ive had them for several years without a single problem. They also have a capicitor board built in to them so they keep power for about 30 seconds after you turn the car off so they never miss a lap if you have a weak battery or voltage issue.

They are around 65.00 with shipping from the UK.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
www.team-mrt.com They can make cloned transponders if you already have one of your own or they can make some similar to house style transponders that have their own "number". Both are smaller than amb personals, hold up as good and come in different colors for those anal retentive guys! Ive had them for several years without a single problem. They also have a capicitor board built in to them so they keep power for about 30 seconds after you turn the car off so they never miss a lap if you have a weak battery or voltage issue.

They are around 65.00 with shipping from the UK.

EA
It was $65. They went up slightly. Now looking $70-$75 shipped
Old 05-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #37
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
It was $65. They went up slightly. Now looking $70-$75 shipped
I just sent a paypal to them for one more and it was 65.00. The first one may be a few dollars more and then if you have more made its cheaper. Ive had 2-3 of them made originally.

Either way still a better buy. Damn price of the dollar is whats causing all the price increases for the most part. Weak compared to the Euro!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:16 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The "problem" is not that they are $100+ for a $5-10 part.... it's that they used to be I think $45 when they first came out, which tells you where the real price point should be.

Other r/c equipment has either become cheaper over time, or a much better product for your money.

Best thing to do is just bend over and take it.... but that doesn't make it right.

Here's an idea: Start an intense campaign to compile a database of all AMB PTs out there (very difficult, yes...) like an online petition, and getting #'s from track's computers, etc etc

A couple things could be done: look for a method to AMB's numbering system to reveal likely "open", unused numbers. Using that and the database of known used numbers... start making knock-off clones like the MRT ones, even without having a verified AMB PT.

The odds of having both AMB and MRT at the same track with the same # is very very very unlikely. If that ever happened... it's not the end of the world.

Even if MRT or another company just started making them with random numbers without regard to AMB's stuff.... the conflicts would be rare. I think we could live with that if we had PTs for like $30-40 again.

Tracks could then get rid of the stupid house transponders for good, making club racing a simpler and less costly process.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:54 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
I just sent a paypal to them for one more and it was 65.00. The first one may be a few dollars more and then if you have more made its cheaper. Ive had 2-3 of them made originally.

Either way still a better buy. Damn price of the dollar is whats causing all the price increases for the most part. Weak compared to the Euro!

EA
Same thing here. I was trying to order 2 of them but notice they're coming up higher than last week or so. Not sure, but it seems they come up more now.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:03 AM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Another reason/excuse for the cost hikes is the falling value of the US dollar for us Yanks. AMB is a Dutch company that likely operates on the much stronger Euro.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #41
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You guys all have very good points, the one thing that no one has touched on yet is the resale value of these units. You can pull all the tabs off, and even shorten the lead, and still get 70+ back for one on flea bay that still works. If its broken obviously you're out of luck but if you decide to get out of the hobby it is the ONLY part of the car that holds its value.

Just my .02
clarksib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #42
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think the AMB transponder is a great product, but $100 bucks for this little thing is about double what it should cost. I'm a new racer and I about had a cow when I saw the price! Fortunately, I found a used one on the Bay for $75, but that was still too much IMO.
redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

OK guys, reality break time. Fuel doesn't cost $3.60/gal+ to provide to you but when there is no competition then you can set whatever price point you want. AMBrc is the same thing. We can't save at the pumps because there is no option other than buying a bike and hoping it don't rain or using public transportation and hoping there is a stop near by. We can't buy cars that use anything else the same way as track owners can't buy options to time you with. The start is at the software level. If you can have a system that a track can have to read typical AMBrc numbers, house transponders AND another system that might do something like add another digit to your number then you have no options. Find a company to design a compatible system for timing to the current standards and maybe a 'plugin' added to it to accept other forms of PT hardware and you'll see prices get competitive. Until you can USE a new transponder in a track system, the system itself would have to recognize the 'new' personal timing device and then run it's software (timing) system accordingly.

The old adage may hold true to all you coders out there, and the software developers that make our current 'systems' at the tracks, if you build it they will come. Collaborate with a company willing to make a PT with an extra digit, for example, and code your software to accept it and you'll make your company a million dollars in any country's money next year. There is nobody controlling the monopoly in RC like the 'AMBrc issue' at this time. New companies make money on finding a niche and filling it. Here's your niche and a kick in the pants to get it into usage. Good luck to you and all of us RC racers.
HPI Savage. LRP zr30, FLM-XLCG, Hitec 7950th, BLS451, & piles of money
Horsepower is how fast you hit the object...Torque is how far it moves.
Wolverini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #44
Tech Apprentice

I hear you on the prices...they are getting crazy? you would think that other companies would make compatible pt that would solve the price hiking up.. i would mind spending 100 bucks or less.. i think that is a fair price.
BUT on the flip side i think pt should be mandatory! i cannot stand being on the drivers stand and the race will not start because the yahoos who should be turnmarshaling didn't return their loaner transponder...
So, i vote for more choices that are all compatible for all the track readers out there!
jrwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #45
Tech Addict

not 100% on this but i think the reason the price changed was because the majority of europeans were buying PT's from the states instead of local so AMB basically changed the price of their units so it didnt matter where you got them they cost the same US,UK,Europe all the same price, as i say not 100% but im fairly sure that may be the case
a win on the lottery :D
slow coach is offline   Reply With Quote