Old 05-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by smracer31
the one on my race car cost me 400 bux so go figure
why?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

He's refering to a full scale car, not an RC car.

The reason that $100 is too much for a PT is that every other expensive item in an RC car is essential for it to run and contributes to it's performance. The popularity of PT's has allowed tracks "off the hook" from the responsibility of providing house transponders so now we're pretty much stuck with it. Still sucks...
Old 05-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nik
if you think the amb personals are expensive, you should check out the handout ones! a track pays $1000+ for a set of those rechargeable ones, so ive been told.

It's actually quite a bit more than $1000.... One house transponder costs $135, the charging rack is close to $500.... Figure 20 transponders, you're close to $3000 in the hole....

Isn't there a company in the UK or something that makes clones? Does anyone remember the name or URL?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeah, the local track owner said it cost him about 2 grand to replace the old ones that were losing their battery. Expensive little things!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why buck the one (almost) industry wide standard we have? Once you buy one you'll never have to replace it or need another unless you want another one for another RC (they can be duplicated for a lower price), I see no reason not to pull 3 screws and swap them in and out of my RC's rather than trying to hunt down a track loaner that works and isnt still strapped into someone else's rig, they're worth every penny IMO.

Its like complaining about buying fuel for a $400 engine or a $80 set of tires for a $2000 rig, doesnt make a whole lot of sense.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

While I agree that $100+ for a PT is a bit high, I still didnt mind buying one simply because I only need one, and I'll never have to buy another one again and it's compatable with just about every track in the country.

$100+ for a one time purchase on a product that will out last my car and engine? I'm OK with that.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Hmmm, some interesting points of view.

While I agree it would be cool to have less expensive alternatives, this IS a hobby and not a necessity. I figure its just the price to play...

On the other-hand most of the tracks I frequent have an amb system with "house transponders". So, while inconvenient to have to use one, it is available.

I know some of the big races requires one. If you can afford to attend one of those especially if its out of state, I imagine the price of an amb isn't a big deal...
Old 05-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Merciless
Not that I think amb pricing is right, but let me get this straight.....

To go racing you were/are happy to pay

$400+ plus for a Buggy
$300ish for a motor
$200ish for a Handset
$150min for servo's

Plus alot of other essentials I havent listed, But the extra $100 so you know what laps your turning, where you finished the races etc's is just too much ??

I think what your trying to say is you'd rather spend your money on more bling for your ride which you think makes it look cool ??

I'd love the essentials to be for free, that way I could spend fortunes on the stuff I want too.
I think what you are all forgetting about here is that these things were only $50 a few years ago. In less than 5 years they have doubled in price for absolutely no reason other than the fact that amb have the corner on this market and people will pay for them no matter what because of the conveinence they offer. I thinks its bs too, but also the greatest thing since sliced bread, I never have to worry about getting the house transponder at all. The price jump doesnt correlate with anything else in past years, a good motor runs 300, which was maybe 250 5 years ago, an 1/8 scale kit has jumped maybe $100 in that same time frame. Its total bs and some company should step up to make something better or at least cheaper so that way tracks can spend that saved money on other things to keep themselves alive, tools, more dirt, tables, etc.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ohh yep complain complain complain, tell you what! why dont you get the government involved and sue them because they are price gouging on your personals, come on now,

im 17 got a min. wage job and i bought one, didn't like it, but they save headaches and if your house transponder is broken, falls out, cant find it, or you put the wrong one in, your get yelled at/ laps docked, with a personal no problem.

maybe don't drink a starbucks every day and save that money? figure ways around it rather than just complaining.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Adept

couldnt our local tracks develope our own?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vsfriedmugan
couldnt our local tracks develope our own?
I need to invent an alternative, it should not be too terribly hard.
I am in the technology field and knowing what I know, AMB is making a killing off of their product. I would be suprised if their cost per PT was more than $20.
I am thinking about utilizing a completely different technology that is tried and true and in use today in many places.
If it works out tracks could include the cost of a throwaway transponder in their entry fee for about $4 more.
AMB's monopoly is ludicrous, and $100 for a PT is absurd
Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I don't know what people are talking about that you'll never have to buy another one. They break. I have personally seen them light up and not transmit many times over or not power up at all. When that happens, either send it back for repairs if its under warranty or buy another $100+ PT.

As for an alternative, these are the units and they work on AMBrc systems fine: http://www.team-mrt.com/
Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Tech Addict

"but the never got better "

Oh but they have. If you go back 20+ years and had to use the first generation of transponers you might have a bitch. BTW, they were well over $100 each way back then, and you could not buy one for personal use.

I think I own 5 right now. One of the best RC investments I have made. The current versions don't break, unless you hit it with a hammer or cut the wire. No trips early to the line to stand around to check out a track transponder. No rush to get it out of the vehicle and back to impound so that the announcer is not bugging you for dragging your feet.

But the number 1 reason to have a personal transponder: That cool little light that tells you that your switch is on. I know folks that spend a lot more for far less effective bling than this.

As a bonus they have worked at every track I have raced at for many years. Expensive yes, but all things considered worth more than the cost.

Ed M.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

I actually know of a way that there could be a cheaper transponder system but I just dont know how to go along doing it so i'm gona throw it out for anyone to use.

all across the US thiers toll roads and they all have some sort of EZ-pass type deal that's esentially a RFID tag mounted near the top of your windshield as you pass under the tower the thier system is told that you passed the tower at such time and deducts the money from your account or whatever.

Now imagine the same thing but the tag is mounted in the top of your body you pass over the loop and it reads that your buggy has passed just like a regular system and the RFID tags would be CHEAP i mean thier in alot of the electronics you buy at walmart so you could have one for each and every body you have or slap em somewhere on your chassis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.