Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Clutch decisions >

Clutch decisions

Clutch decisions

Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)
Default Clutch decisions

Will be running a 1/8th scale oval car and trying to choose a LONG LASTING clutch setup.

Pros/cons of the following... or if the 70$ fiorini is the ultimate choice then so be it, just looking for a little feedback

Max Life dynamite shoes? If so what springs...?

MIP Style clutch?

Fioroni 3 shoe or 5 shoe clutch?

Thanks
Alan
Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer34v
Will be running a 1/8th scale oval car and trying to choose a LONG LASTING clutch setup.

Pros/cons of the following... or if the 70$ fiorini is the ultimate choice then so be it, just looking for a little feedback

Max Life dynamite shoes? If so what springs...?

MIP Style clutch?

Fioroni 3 shoe or 5 shoe clutch?

Thanks
Alan
If you want longevity and ease of maintenance you want the fioroni slide clutch with 2 shoes (not the twin slider with 4 shoes). It works awesome and shoes last forever and requires no maintenance other than changing your clutch bell bearings once and a while. Here is a link....

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4654
Old 05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i have been running the mip 3 shoe clutch and ive never seen anything that compares i have a gallon and a half on it and it still has alot left. it also doesnt eat clutch bells my clutch bells look brand new ill be running these forever.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

thanks for the feedback. I hadnt really looked at the two shoe fironi, seems simple enough. and after reading the reviews on amain i'm buying one...! i dont understand how less spring is a softer engagement?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racer34v
thanks for the feedback. I hadnt really looked at the two shoe fironi, seems simple enough. and after reading the reviews on amain i'm buying one...! i dont understand how less spring is a softer engagement?
If you run 3 springs it holds the shoes harder for later enguagement which is why it hits harder. I run all 3 regular springs for off road racing and I really like it. Once I ran all 3 hard springs and the clutch hit so hard it was really hard to drive so I went back to the regular springs. I have 2 gallons on my shoes and they look good. Some people say they get 5gallons or more out of a set of shoes. I know you will like it. Word to the wise though dont buy the 4 shoe or twin slider as they are known to have some binding issues on the shoes.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

its not a binding issues on the 2007 its the fact u CANT run hard springs....the second u try and put the shoes together they BOW...and dont sit flush....if u run the regular springs its Super soft engagement and the motor wont have ANY botttom end....ull think its the motor but its NOT its the CRAPPY clutch shoes....IMO fioroni Really Dropped the ball on that 1.....the 2 shoe is where its at....2nd to that is the M2C set-up or the Losi if u can rig it up...Dyna shoes on the Losi is the bomb...M2C's also work Really well....

oo and cheesecake...u cant run bells for THAT long...over time the actual outside race of the bearing will start to wear on the bell itself...potentially causing the tolerence to go...therefor allowing the bearing itself to Spin on Inside the bell causing excess heat and could cause issues....replace the bell at least once a season imo.....also the actual teeth on a bell will eventually fail aswell...Nothing lasts Forever
Old 05-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

I run dynamite alum. 7075 mugen 13t bell mugen 1.0 sp. and never look back.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just thought I'd let you know. Impulse r/c sells clutch shoes. They are designed for the RC8, however I know that a lot of guys are putting the AE flywheel and clutch nut on other cars and running the Impulse Shoes with AE springs. The Hards wear really good and perform really good as well. At $11.99 for a set of shoes.

www.impulse-rc.com
Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

m2c clutches are great they last a very very long time without maintenance
www.m2cracing.com
Old 05-08-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

have you thought about the Werks adjustable racing clutch? It has 3 different compounds of shoes, 3 different spring rates, and infinately adjustable... IMO it is the ultimate clutch for any RACING application!

My 2 cents....
Old 05-08-2008, 06:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lowey79
have you thought about the Werks adjustable racing clutch? It has 3 different compounds of shoes, 3 different spring rates, and infinately adjustable... IMO it is the ultimate clutch for any RACING application!

My 2 cents....
My friend had 2 of them but got rid of them cause he could never keep the nut from tightening down and locking the clutch in the enguaged position. He used loctite blue but didnt want to use the red as then you have to heat it up to remove it. Have you had this problem? If not what have you done to keep it from happening?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by blowpopracer
My friend had 2 of them but got rid of them cause he could never keep the nut from tightening down and locking the clutch in the enguaged position. He used loctite blue but didnt want to use the red as then you have to heat it up to remove it. Have you had this problem? If not what have you done to keep it from happening?
The new adjusting nuts that come with the clutch assembly have an o ring built into them similar to a "Ni-lock" nut... This combined with Blue Locktite ensures that the setting wont move..... I have not had a setting change in 6 months of use.... I stand by my claim... "the ultimate clutch for any RACING application!"
Old 05-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the werks is Far from THE best set-up...what about all that grip ur missing with alloy shoes.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Lowey, is blue loctite is compatible with rubber? I know it'll eat plastic. Just curious.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The Fioroni Turbo Sliding clutch in black (OT-FR52) is a solid performing clutch. I used one in my buggy for years. I like the Twin Turbo black (OT-FR56) better, but that's my opinion. I have been using the Twin Turbo in my IGT car and after 2 full weekends of racing (4 day race weekends), and a bunch of street driving, the shoes are in great shape. The springs (yes they are the stiff ones) feel like they are tired, but the clutch still works great. No binding issues either.

Fioroni does make an adjustable clutch (OT-FR66), and if you don't mind the fine tuning aspect of it, it works great. For oval racing it might be overkill, but coming from on road racing and using Centax clutches, it's the closest thing to an on road clutch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.