R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-07-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Truggy Tires

OK, so I'm new to the way Truggy tires are measured and what some terminologies are.

LPR, is this Low Profile Ride or something? Do guys run anything else?

Offset, what's Standard vs. Half. Advantages to one over the other?

Size, what's 2.2, 2.7, 3.7?

What do I need to know so that when I order a set of tires and rims I will always have matching items and will not affect my truck in some way? I understand compounds, its the rest of it that's a little fuzzy. Thanks for your feedback.
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbird View Post
OK, so I'm new to the way Truggy tires are measured and what some terminologies are.

LPR, is this Low Profile Ride or something? Do guys run anything else?

Offset, what's Standard vs. Half. Advantages to one over the other?

Size, what's 2.2, 2.7, 3.7?

What do I need to know so that when I order a set of tires and rims I will always have matching items and will not affect my truck in some way? I understand compounds, its the rest of it that's a little fuzzy. Thanks for your feedback.
LPR is low profile this it the unofficial fast setup. makes the truggys handle more like a buggy turning wise (more responsive) most the time this is the best way.

Offset is the distance from the hex to the rim face.
ZERO = 8T, STR, MBX5-T
1/2 = CRT

2.2 2.7 3.7is the rim size 2.2 is 1/10 truck size

Hope this helps
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Default re

8T uses 1/2" offset wheels. The offset can make a big difference in stability and handling as it controls the overall width of the wheel base (side to side) for the car.
cherokee180c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Hey thanks guys. So if I use LPR's do I get 2.7 rims? And I want Standard offset on my 8T then?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Tech Addict

One other thing on the offset, which one will widen the stance the most?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
Tech Champion

I'm not sure what vehicle uses 2.7" tires but you don't want them. You need the 3.7" which is equivalent to the LPR sized tires. The Losi 8T used a 1/2" offset like cherokee said.

The other options for MT/Truggy tires are Maxx size and MTR size. The Maxx tires are sort of a standard for monster truck racing. Monster trucks and early truggies used these size of wheels and tires. Then the MTR from Proline came out which use ribs on the inside of the tire carcass to reduce ballooning. Racers don't want the center of their tire to grow like you see in the bashing vids, like when a kid keeps doing doughnuts and the inside front tire grows to twice the original size. LOL.

Anyways the MTR are pretty much Maxx size but slightly narrower to increase steering response. Then the LPR wheels/tires were developed when the 8T came out. Since Losi used a larger rim, with a shorter sidewall tire, the overall diameter is prettymuch the same as Maxx and MTR, but the tires are much shorter. Example: A full size off-road truck has a tall tire sidewall---lots of rubber from the rim to the top of the wheel. But an import tuner car with short sidewall tires---very short distance from the rim to the top of the tire. They are much more responsive to steering inputs, which helps the car handle quicker.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbird View Post
One other thing on the offset, which one will widen the stance the most?
MALIK IS CORRECT. I'M BACKWARDS. Plus I don't know if it will be within legal limits for racing. Check out Proline racing.com They have some good drawings of tires cut in half that explain off-set and no offset, as well as backspacing.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce

Last edited by air8; 05-07-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

No 1/2 offset will make your trug have a wider stance. I only run 1/2 offset My trug has tons of steering so I am okay with it yours should too unless you have A $20 steering servo. I recommend for you to get 1/2 offset rims. I use mtr tires also because my track is bumpy lpr is good but not for a blown out track or for one with large jumps or not for any type of bashing. The small sidewall makes the truck ride stiffer if you know what I mean.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Edited. I was thinking of backspacing.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce

Last edited by air8; 05-08-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Thanks guys that helps!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Truggy wheel off set, 1/2 offset for Jammin CRT, Losi 8T, Kyosho STR or STRR and TTR have zero off set or Standard offset is the same. Not sure what Xray has for there truggy.
aznitronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznitronut View Post
Truggy wheel off set, 1/2 offset for Jammin CRT, Losi 8T, Kyosho STR or STRR and TTR have zero off set or Standard offset is the same. Not sure what Xray has for there truggy.

Xray's 1/4 offset...not a true 1/2 and not a true zero....kinda gay imo...but thats Xray for u.....Mugen 5T is also Zero off.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote