Community
Wiki Posts
Search

300 for a .21 What are you buying

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get a RB or a Picco. I've run a few Picco's and they are great. I currently run a RB WS7 L2G. Holds a tune really well (helps me loads as i'm still learning the tuning side), smooth powerband, good top speed and fairly decent fuel consumption (i can get 8mins with out worrying on fairly big WOT tracks).

Chaz
Old 05-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Revo-lution
Not with a .21 in it like the rest of the cars in the video it isn't, no.
I have a lrp .28 in it. that vid I posted wasnt even maxing the car out

The video of the two cars racing just dont seem like they go that fast, mine seems like it goes faster, maybe its the engine, maybe its the position of the filmer, maybe its just me, i dont know...
Old 05-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by new to rc cars
Not trying to be cocky here... but is my car faster than those ones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSi2ljegZO8
Yes...however your engine is a .28, when the ones they used were .21s. Also, your gearing says 18t, which I take as to mean you have an 18t clutch bell. I'm assuming that the Underground video used race gearing, meaning generally 12, 13, 14t clutch bells.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by whoajoe
Yes...however your engine is a .28, when the ones they used were .21s. Also, your gearing says 18t, which I take as to mean you have an 18t clutch bell. I'm assuming that the Underground video used race gearing, meaning generally 12, 13, 14t clutch bells.
Yes its an 18t clutch, that improves top speed right?

and you have a good point with the clutches. but is my car in that vid going faster than those guys?

I just wanna know if my car is faster than the "average racer". Im assuming most of you guys have .21 engines and 12-14t clutches... I have a .28 engine and 18t clutch.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

My 2 top choices for $300 or less would be:

GRP Ninja .21 (old style)

Novarossi Plus 21-5 (at carolinasrc right now for $279)
Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Revo-lution
In the end, I think this video says it all... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbBhRAS839E

The moral of the story is in the last 20 seconds.
So im guessing the moral of the story is, that I can win the A-main if I have one of those fancy filter covers on my car???

Lol but no the real moral of it is very true.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Yes its an 18t clutch, that improves top speed right?

and you have a good point with the clutches. but is my car in that vid going faster than those guys?

I just wanna know if my car is faster than the "average racer". Im assuming most of you guys have .21 engines and 12-14t clutches... I have a .28 engine and 18t clutch.

Yes cory your car will stomp ours in a straight line congratulations, now stop post whoring. lol
Old 05-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Not trying to be cocky here... but is my car faster than those ones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSi2ljegZO8
you have your truggy geared for top end......... lets see you use that gearing on a real track, or even better lets see how it acelerates from a standing start......... moral of story is dont confuse a 18th bell with a fast motor...

Last edited by Maximo; 05-06-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kave
It also depends on what you are looking for a powerband on your motors. From my experience if you are/were an electric guy you will really enjoy the vspec and likes because of the extreamly linear power band. However on a motor like the RB C6 this cannot be said, I cannot say it is a bad motor however it has a TON of power which leads it to be very violent and often times un drivable for your average racer.

The picco and some of the others mentioned fall in between these two extremes.

Just my .02
Actually the C6 has an incredibly smoothe powerband! It does have gobs of power when you need it, but it is very tame and controlable.
From what I have seen it's the V-Spec thats very peaky powerband and can be harder to drive. As far as a Picco being the "fastest" .21? I cant comment since I never have had a picco, but from what I heard about picco motors from our local "pro" level drivers. I dont think so....
Old 05-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wes95_z28
Yes carl your car will stomp ours in a straight line congratulations, now stop post whoring. lol
Ok, I didnt mean to "post whore" I just wanted to ask you guys some questions

Originally Posted by Maximo
you have your truggy geared for top end......... lets see you use that gearing on a real track, or even better lets see how it acelerates from a standing start......... moral of story is dont confuse a 18th bell with a fast motor...
Ok, I didnt know that..... it accelerates fine from a standing start, spins out like crazy, why, it is supposed to be A LOT slower than your guys'?

So do I have a 18t clutch bell, or a fast motor? or both?

ps: its in a buggy, not truggy.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

You have a buggy with a .28 motor in it and it is geared to the moon. Your looking at 48 maybe 50 miles an hour tops. And no yours will not accelerate anywhere near as hard as ours. Get into a difficult rythm section when you need instant rip outta the motor and you will be severly lacking.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wes95_z28
You have a buggy with a .28 motor in it and it is geared to the moon. Your looking at 48 maybe 50 miles an hour tops. And no yours will not accelerate anywhere near as hard as ours. Get into a difficult rythm section when you need instant rip outta the motor and you will be severly lacking.
hmmm, ill have to see the difference when I get my 12t clutch working, that oughta be enough of a transition? going from 18t to 12t

I do see what youre saying, now that I think of it, it does take my car quite a while to reach top speed, where your guys cars are at top speed instantly.

I would like to try a rythm section... or any track for that matter gravel roads do get boring after a while.....
Old 05-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jesse
Im partial when it comes to these Dyno graphs, thats pretty cool and im sure it can be entertaining to most, but honestly, just like with real auto racing, the real test is at the track and at a race...a dyno will only take you so far.

I think Dynos can be a good tool to help aid in modding engines from what i hear, but i need more than just a dyno graph to help me make a choice on a new engine...especially if i am going to buy such engine to race with!
Dynos will tell you everything you need to know except fuel milage...... just like in real racing.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ok, I didnt mean to "post whore" I just wanted to ask you guys some questions

Ok, I didnt know that..... it accelerates fine from a standing start, spins out like crazy, why, it is supposed to be A LOT slower than your guys'?

So do I have a 18t clutch bell, or a fast motor? or both?

ps: its in a buggy, not truggy.
Well a LRP Spec 3 is a sport motor made in Taiwan.... it has decent power but lacks top end RPM , it is designed as a MT motor, but they made a so called Truggy version, but at heart its still a 13 mm crank sport motor..........Most good .21 engines will outperform it !
Old 05-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

hmmm, ill have to see the difference when I get my 12t clutch working, that oughta be enough of a transition? going from 18t to 12t

I do see what youre saying, now that I think of it, it does take my car quite a while to reach top speed, where your guys cars are at top speed instantly.

I would like to try a rythm section... or any track for that matter gravel roads do get boring after a while.....
Ok, let's address several of your comments/questions:

1) Faster and quicker are not the same. 1/8 scale buggies RARELY see a track where they will top out... but they see a lot of tight tracks that need instant acceleration to clear jumps or make a quick burst down a short straigtht between corners. Even if you are 10 mph faster on the top end, you'll NEVER use that on anything but the very largest tracks, and then only on one long straight. Even if there is a huge straight, a car that accelerates quicker but doesn't top out as high will probably finish the straight ahead of one that accelerates slowely but has a faster top speed. It is about the AVERAGE speed down the straight.

2) Without knowing what the other gears are in your car, it is impossible to say what your final gear ratio is. Simply saying "I have an 18t bell" is like saying "I have a 5 speed" in a real car. The final drive ratio is the important part, and that relates to the clutch bell, spur gear, pinion gears, and ring gears.

3) Going from a 18t to 12t is about as drastic of a change as you can get without other changes. A change of 1 tooth on a clutch bell is a noticeable change! 12 is 2/3 of 18... so... in the simplest terms possible, you will have 1/3 more torque to the wheels than you did, so it will accelerate faster by 1/3, BUT, you will also lose 1/3 of your top speed. Say your buggy topped out at 48 mph before. (Not likely, but possible...) And say you were hitting the top RPM the engine was capable of. Going to a 12t bell will mean your top speed is now 32 mph! Even if it could hit 51 mph (I'm keeping the numbers round so the math is simple) your top speed would be 34 mph.

4) In addition to the issue with bearing sizes, you're going to have to move the motor mount a bit to get the gear mesh right... and that big of a change may be outside the range of adjustment available to you. It may REQUIRE a bigger spur gear just to get within the range of adjustment... which increases the torque even more... but also reduces the top speed even more.

5) The issue of the motor has already been addressed... but bigger isn't always better. A good quality .21 will make more power than your motor, especially on the top end... and you aren't class legal for racing with a .28 even if it doesn't make as much power. Besides, I've seen someone put an .18 in a buggy and lay the smack down on a bunch of .21s. It is all about having what suits your car, the track conditions, and your driving style.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.