R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What's THAT smell!?

It's NITRO! It's stuck in my hair, my nose and my clothes. AND I already took a shower! Love it though - reminds me of watching Top Fuel.

Went to the races today, just watching. Haven't been to a race since Sept 05 and haven't actually raced since 02.

Regardless; I'm diving back into it head first. Can't wait to actually hit the track again.

Just a note to say "I'm back!" and ... thanks to all of you that have given me information thus far. I've been reading posts here for some time trying to figure out exactly which buggy to get. I am STILL undecided. (going for 1/8 nitro buggy)

Undecided on Radio too. I see most guys are running SS these days. I also watched the ROAR Truck Nationals recently and noticed a few pros switching to FM for the race due to some 'problems' with the SS's. SO.... dunno. I'm kinda leaning toward the JR Z-1 just for the fact that it's a synth FM system. Anyone have info/exp with these?

Hope to be spending a lump O cash here soon to get me back on the drivers stand. It's good to be back!
boostfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am using a z-1 and love it. switched from an m-11 2.4ghz dsss to this.
hitec 5955tg/steering
ko propo 2367/throttle
m-11
buckeye34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye34 View Post
I am using a z-1 and love it. switched from an m-11 2.4ghz dsss to this.

I really did like my M8 - I gotta say. If there was a gripe about it, it'd have to be that it felt like I was going to break it when I picked it up, or used it, or looked at it wrong.

That said - I never did break it. hehe. But...man, 400 bones for an M11 doesn't seem like the way to go. The Z-1 seems to have all the features the M8 had, so I thought I'd maybe try it.

Do you have ANY gripes about your Z-1? - no matter how small. If you have the time, run down some of the features you really dig too!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Welcome back!! We missed you on the drivers stand. Can't really tell you about the Z-1, but I have 2.4 on my m8 and love it. Some people say it has a slightly slower response, but I can't feel it. Of course, servo's have a lot to do with how fast the response feels.

Anyways, good luck with your purchases.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevette View Post
Welcome back!! We missed you on the drivers stand. Can't really tell you about the Z-1, but I have 2.4 on my m8 and love it. Some people say it has a slightly slower response, but I can't feel it. Of course, servo's have a lot to do with how fast the response feels.

Anyways, good luck with your purchases.
Thanks Pete!

Back in the day, 1989 or so... I spent every little Pizza Hut paycheck on hopup parts for my RC10. It wasn't until years later that I actually focused my paychecks on servos and radios. When I finally used an Airtronics Digital (94758) for steering in my XXX, I realized one of the many 'secrets' to RC racing. Good radio/servo gear is priceless! It's certainly worth a lot more than nearly every hopup you could buy.

I think I'll make my order this Friday. Four days to figure out what I'll spend my 'stimulus package' money on.

Kinda leaning toward the 8ight for the buggy. They DO look good. The RC8 looks great too, though. This may end with a coin toss.

Can I start an RC8 with the Losi start box? Couldn't resist buying the start box on Ebay.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Tech Master

Boostfiend, I am going to make it easy for you on selecting a chassis. Can't tell you for sure on the starter box, but most boxes can be adjusted to fit different chassis. Really shouldn't be a problem but just confirm with someone that has a Losi box. Heck, I use a mugen box to start my RC8.

Back to the chassis, I could tell you to get an RC8 because I have one and love it. However, that is a biased opinion. I will tell you that both cars are awesome and you are in a win win situation regardless of which one you choose.

Here is where it gets easy, just go to the local track and talk to some of the local fast guys there. Go with whatever car is most popular at the track. This way you can get set up help and maybe buy a broken part from someone there should you break something while racing. It always helps to run a popular car that people are familiar with and have spare parts for. Tech support is plentiful when you have the right chassis.

Good luck and remember, we are holding a spot for you on the driver's stand!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Boostfiend, I am going to make it easy for you on selecting a chassis. Can't tell you for sure on the starter box, but most boxes can be adjusted to fit different chassis. Really shouldn't be a problem but just confirm with someone that has a Losi box. Heck, I use a mugen box to start my RC8.
I believe the difference is the 'wheel' itself. Perhaps slightly more centered and thinner. No idea. It was a screamin deal, so I grabbed it.

Quote:
Back to the chassis, I could tell you to get an RC8 because I have one and love it. However, that is a biased opinion. I will tell you that both cars are awesome and you are in a win win situation regardless of which one you choose.
That's the boat I'm in, exactly. Your opinion is just fine with me actually, that's all you're going to get on the forum(s) anyway is opinions. There's a few facts I've noticed.

There are more people complaining about parts prematurely wearing out on the Losi than the Associated. but....

There are twice as many posts on the Losi forum than on the Associated buggy forum. but....

The Losi has been out longer....

hehe. The Losi was also designed, if only partially (perhaps all of it) by Jukka Steenari - a guy I have a lot of respect for. He's just a good guy from what I gather and I think he made one hell of a car. They should have called it the "Losi Jukka"

The Associated takes me back to the 80's. The romance of getting my first car and building it. The other side of that is I'd have to take the RC8 apart to build it. hehe. I kinda want a kit!

Which leans me back to Losi.

So I looked at parts. Both are about the same. I do nearly all my business from home (work too much) so, either is fine in that regard.

It's a tough call. I've gone back and forth several times. One point writing the RC8 off completely. Then I saw one, and saw them perform. After that, they were back on my list.

Quote:
Here is where it gets easy, just go to the local track and talk to some of the local fast guys there. Go with whatever car is most popular at the track. This way you can get set up help and maybe buy a broken part from someone there should you break something while racing. It always helps to run a popular car that people are familiar with and have spare parts for. Tech support is plentiful when you have the right chassis.
Surely you jest! Dead even Pete. Dead even. There are actually more guys running Kyosho and Jammin than Losi and Associated. ...but as far as who runs what, it's even. In fact, last weekend I watched the 2nd round of 1/8 buggy and every car broke except for two - of course, one Losi, one Associated. It was like Ford vs Chevy all over.

Quote:
Good luck and remember, we are holding a spot for you on the driver's stand!
I'll be there soon. I'm thinking June 1st will be my comeback race. I'll hire a theme band to follow me and strippers, but nothing crazy. Perhaps come in by parachute directly onto the stand with my radio in hand. Nothing too spendy... I'm on a budget here.

I'll post up some pics when my order gets here. It's not everyday you get to order a car, radio, servos, engine, pipe, batteries....and so on. Then have it Overnighted to your door. I'll still need fuel and such, but I have a hobby shop near by.

Countdown begins. It's going to be a long week.

Thanks for all the input Pete. Tell me your thoughts on the RC8 - all of em if you desire. It'll no doubt be read.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Tech Master

If you have strippers for your big day, let me know. I wouldn't want to miss out on those activities. Parachute idea is pretty interesting too, but I will pass on that one. Anyways, man that advice works 99% of the time. Too bad most people run Kyosho and Jammin. I think your right, the Losi / Associated thing really is like Ford / Chevy.

I will tell you about the RC8 and honestly as I can, but like yourself I have very found memories of my gold tube RC10. So much so that I still have it. Therefore, my disclaimer is that I am an Associated guy, but I am also a fan of my money. With that said, I will be brutually honest. After being really excited about the car, I almost threw it into a canal two weeks after I had it. I couldn't put the car on the track without a hinge pin popping out. In case your wondering, yes I had one of the cars prior to the service pack being available. I tried a couple of different home remedies to reinforce the car so it wouldn't throw the hinge pins, but it would just keep doing it. I even bought the aftermarket M2C plates and guess what, still popped out.

That is when my RC8 almost became a UFO. Anyways, I made some more home made type remedies to keep the hinge pin from popping out which ultimately boiled down to using two rather large sheet metal screws. The screws worked just long enough for me to fall in love with the car again. The handling is really superb. I went from the middle of sportsman straight to the top in a matter of a few weeks. By the way, we have 3 full heats of sportsman so it was quite a jump. I just loved the agility of the car and it flies great. Well, eventually the screws failed just around the time that the service packs came out. I installed the service pack and like magic all the problems went away. Not one issue after that. I continue to beat the heck out of the car, keep in mind I am a sportsman driver, and the car is holding up nicely.

Some people talk about problems with the fuel tank but I haven't had any issues. Some people like to modify the shocks but the shocks work great. I am now really happy with the car and have no intentions of getting rid of it soon even though there are quite a few nice options out there like the Xray, Odonnel - if they ever release it, Hyper 9, rumored Mugen 6 etc. I think my next car will be a revision to the RC8 whenever that happens.

Not sure if that helps or not, but that is my story and I am sticking to it. Have you driven either one of the cars? If you were in my neck of the woods I would let you take mine for spin or tumble to see if it would help you make up your mind.

Let me know what you decide to do.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
If you have strippers for your big day, let me know. I wouldn't want to miss out on those activities. Parachute idea is pretty interesting too, but I will pass on that one. Anyways, man that advice works 99% of the time. Too bad most people run Kyosho and Jammin. I think your right, the Losi / Associated thing really is like Ford / Chevy.

I will tell you about the RC8 and honestly as I can, but like yourself I have very found memories of my gold tube RC10. So much so that I still have it. Therefore, my disclaimer is that I am an Associated guy, but I am also a fan of my money. With that said, I will be brutually honest. After being really excited about the car, I almost threw it into a canal two weeks after I had it. I couldn't put the car on the track without a hinge pin popping out. In case your wondering, yes I had one of the cars prior to the service pack being available. I tried a couple of different home remedies to reinforce the car so it wouldn't throw the hinge pins, but it would just keep doing it. I even bought the aftermarket M2C plates and guess what, still popped out.

That is when my RC8 almost became a UFO. Anyways, I made some more home made type remedies to keep the hinge pin from popping out which ultimately boiled down to using two rather large sheet metal screws. The screws worked just long enough for me to fall in love with the car again. The handling is really superb. I went from the middle of sportsman straight to the top in a matter of a few weeks. By the way, we have 3 full heats of sportsman so it was quite a jump. I just loved the agility of the car and it flies great. Well, eventually the screws failed just around the time that the service packs came out. I installed the service pack and like magic all the problems went away. Not one issue after that. I continue to beat the heck out of the car, keep in mind I am a sportsman driver, and the car is holding up nicely.

Some people talk about problems with the fuel tank but I haven't had any issues. Some people like to modify the shocks but the shocks work great. I am now really happy with the car and have no intentions of getting rid of it soon even though there are quite a few nice options out there like the Xray, Odonnel - if they ever release it, Hyper 9, rumored Mugen 6 etc. I think my next car will be a revision to the RC8 whenever that happens.

Not sure if that helps or not, but that is my story and I am sticking to it. Have you driven either one of the cars? If you were in my neck of the woods I would let you take mine for spin or tumble to see if it would help you make up your mind.

Thanks for all the info. I'm certainly not going to be buying new buggies all the time. I'm only racing at a club track local to me. I'm also not one to fall into the hop-up game. Not when I can design and produce my own parts. I played that aftermarket game in the 80's and early 90's and realized it's a flawed concept. I figured out the real 'secret' in 01 when I got back into racing. Visiting 'RC CENTRAL' (SoCal raceway, and surrounding areas) helped quite a bit too.

As far as how each buggy holds up, the more I look into their 'problems', the more I realize how many of them are the drivers 'problems' and not the cars 'problems'.

I think your comment about it being 'win win' before was quite accurate. The AE is a bit cheaper, but by the time you add tires, you're real close to the price of the Losi.

I have yet to drive a nitro buggy at ALL! The last car I drove was my Losi XXX with a P-94 10x2 mod motor. Night and day, I have no doubt. It'll be interesting to try it out. Because it's so new to me, I may end up going Losi, just to get an actual KIT. I'm really not a "Push the start button and go" kinda guy. On the other side of that, it's not too much work to totally take apart the Associated buggy and put it back together. Back at square one!

You know, the only thing I see on the horizon (no Losi pun) is the new offerings from AKA. Gil, Joel and Mark have some brains, for sure. I wouldn't be too shocked to see one of their buggies showing up at IFMAR with Mark at the wheel. I MAY be tempted to jump ship, once I pick a damned ship to board.

Maybe I'll just start my own company like Losi did back in the 80's. If I only had the money. hehe.

I was even half tempted to buy both buggies and sell the one I didn't want. ...but by the time I made up my mind, the 8ight II would be out, as would the RC8FT2.

So, after all this talk and reading... I may end up flipping a coin. Certainly not a penny, because of it's electrical uses. A nickel is too thick, and the dime is just too small. A quarter might be good, but it's center of gravity isn't perfect. I don't know where to find a .50 cent piece these days...

Now I have a whole new problem.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to chewiefttc4 Send a message via Yahoo to chewiefttc4

Quote:

why is it that im the only one that had luck with a preservice packet car.??
the only thing ive broken was a arm and that was when i smacked a 2x4 holding up the pitarea net.

no issues with the hingepin plates. or top plates.. i did break a knuckle but im sure the 2x4 didnt help.

i had the losi. handled great. but wore out quick.
i got my ae. friggin dialed out of the box. its slightly starting to slop out but not horrible then again im racing it with a electric setup. 2x the power
chewiefttc4 is offline   Reply With Quote