R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Savage XSS - After the first couple runs.

I had a thread a little while ago that had a bunch of questions in it asking about my Savage...a couple people came and answered quickly, but now I have a couple more!

1. I usually start up my truck on a plant pot with the wheels off the ground just in case the throttle opens up so that it won't drive away. Is this harming the motor/clutch in any way? The reason I say this is because I usually have to adjust my trim and open the throttle slightly to get it to start and that's why I have it off the ground in the first place.

2. I have a cheap Futaba AM radio that is a few years old and it does get some interference it seems. I want to look at getting a new radio in the future but in the mean time I want to use this one. The steering servo works great, throttle works great, but when I want to get a nice gradual acceleration and I push down on the throttle slowly the servo twitches a bit and I can't get the exact amount of throttle response I want, (as an example its hard to get to about 3/4 throttle, but I think this is because of the fact that it is an AM radio prone to more glitching.) Is it still okay to run it with this radio, again its nothing serious but I would like to get a new radio in the not so distant future...If anyone needs an example tell me I can post a video on youtube.

3. Sometimes after I do a full throttle run down the street and come to a stop the engine seems to be idling a little high, but after a couple seconds it goes back to normal...Is this serious? Or is it normal?

Sorry for all the nub questions but I am very new to the nitro scene and I like it so far. (Just it's really expensive)
th3ha1og0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Post this question here buddy.

SAVAGE - SS, .25, .21 Official Thread!
Old 05-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Tech Addict

I had a thread a little while ago that had a bunch of questions in it asking about my Savage...a couple people came and answered quickly, but now I have a couple more!

1. I usually start up my truck on a plant pot with the wheels off the ground just in case the throttle opens up so that it won't drive away. Is this harming the motor/clutch in any way? The reason I say this is because I usually have to adjust my trim and open the throttle slightly to get it to start and that's why I have it off the ground in the first place.Thats fine it wont hurt anything

2. I have a cheap Futaba AM radio that is a few years old and it does get some interference it seems. I want to look at getting a new radio in the future but in the mean time I want to use this one. The steering servo works great, throttle works great, but when I want to get a nice gradual acceleration and I push down on the throttle slowly the servo twitches a bit and I can't get the exact amount of throttle response I want, (as an example its hard to get to about 3/4 throttle, but I think this is because of the fact that it is an AM radio prone to more glitching.) Is it still okay to run it with this radio, again its nothing serious but I would like to get a new radio in the not so distant future...If anyone needs an example tell me I can post a video on youtube.Be careful for glitching so you dont have a runaway truck. You can add a throttle return springe to the carb it might smooth out the pull a bit.

3. Sometimes after I do a full throttle run down the street and come to a stop the engine seems to be idling a little high, but after a couple seconds it goes back to normal...Is this serious? Or is it normal? It should be fine it just means your low end is a bit rich.

Sorry for all the nub questions but I am very new to the nitro scene and I like it so far. (Just it's really expensive)
Old 05-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Tech Elite

edit
Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Thanks vigilante, that removes all of my doubts

Also, I do have a throttle return spring, and for the most part the radio is smooth, it only does minor glitching sometimes when I pull the throttle, but thankfully it doesn't glitch at all at idle...if it did then I'd have a problem
th3ha1og0d is offline   Reply With Quote