Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo receiver pack/regulator question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by desertbird
Guys, if all you need to drop your voltage is by 1 volt install a diode on the hot side of the wire. Radio Shack has a 1N4001 diode for only about a buck and drops the voltage 1 volt (I think it's 1 volt, it'll say on the package). If you need more find a diode rated for higher volt drop. The stripe points towards the receiver if you're doing this.
Yes. Good call. But the lipo RX packs are around 8.4v when fully charged. They will slowly drop to around 7.5v and then when they are done, they just dump very fast. So I think the average voltage is actually slightly higher than the 7.4v labeled on the batteries.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't think, and I could be wrong, that you'd want to run a Rx pack to the point of 3.2 volts per cell. Any less and you risk damage to the Lipo pack. So, get a 2 volt diode and stop running your pack to the edge of failure. Servos & Rx will run on 4.4 volts, not as quickly, but by no means are you close to losing radio contact. But maybe I'm wrong, just some stuff I remember from my EP Heli days...