R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 05-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Questions?? nitro illegal?

if i wanted to drive a nitro on my block, would it be legal? my neighbors will call the cops anyway they think they could get me in trouble
BSS07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TripleX-JT

I guess I would say Yes...... I would say it would be the same as if you had a party and your neighbors complained about the noise.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS07 View Post
if i wanted to drive a nitro on my block, would it be legal? my neighbors will call the cops anyway they think they could get me in trouble
I just drove my car down a gravel road/highway near my house, a cop came near me looking for my little brother on his dirtbike, while he was there, he decided to pull up to me and tell me I shouldnt be driving on that patricular road, he said if a car comes itll have to swerve to miss my car... i told him im a good driver, i take it to the side of the road when a vehicle comes, only about 2 vehicles per hour drive on that road, and the drivers can see me and my car from about a half km away from where im driving.

as for driving it up and down the street, its allowed, the neighbours may get mad if you drive it a lot, some may even phone in a noise complaint, even if they do, its not a big deal, absolute worst that happens is a cop comes and tells you to quit driving it there, or a neighbour yells at you. not a big deal. if they make a big deal out of it, wait a month or so, then put sugar in their gas tank and deny everything!

ps: I live in canada.
new to rc cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

i live in NY
BSS07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

whats the worse thing thats goin to happen a cop goin to tell u its to loud, then just go somewhere alse where people wont complain
rjs_13203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs_13203 View Post
whats the worse thing thats goin to happen a cop goin to tell u its to loud, then just go somewhere alse where people wont complain
Well if hes in downtown NY then its probably a bit different. Im kind on the outskirts of a town with the population of 3000. his grad class was/is probably that big...

but yeah, you wont get in any trouble, its not illegal.
new to rc cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

as long as your driving it at reasonable hours like from 9am-6pm whos cares no one should be sleeping yet take the pipe off if you want it wont matter
Old 05-04-2008, 07:13 AM   #8
Tech Regular

I say its no different to mowing your lawn, if you run during reasonable hours there should be no problem really. If someone dose whine about it tell them to have a go or get their own hobby.
bobbitrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to JustinD

Cops actually stop and watch me drive don't say one thing some ask where they can get one and others ask where a track is cause they have one you would be surprised.

Mugen MBX6 -EB MOD OS V-Spec / EB MODS FUEL
JustinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well, if you are 14 and living at home and have the attitude of "F the world, it's here for me" then do what you want and you'll find out the consequences.

If you annoy all the neighbors, it might make life a bit difficult for your parents.

The noise may be similar to mowing the lawn, but lawn mowing is necessary. Driving a toy car is not. There's lots of people who simply don't get the idea of a hobby. They watch TV, and hearing a nitro motor in the background is going to irritate them. Some people get really psycho when mad. I've seen it first hand. Neighbors have threatend to sue neighbors over nitro RC car noise. Lots of cops came over in two separate incidents. The cops thought the cars were cool, but the raging neighbor was nuts. Pretty well ruined the RC hobby for that family.

I'd go find a place to run the car that's not in your neighborhood at least...... Maybe like a track.

Last edited by Manning; 05-04-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: more stuff......
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

I would look up the noise ordinance for you city. That will tell you when you can make loud noises. Also, like someone else posted, its not any worse than most garden equipment unless you dont have a pipe and/or a loud pipe.
RacerST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

They can hear an RC car in Long Island?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to racer659 Send a message via Yahoo to racer659

my neighbors are complete asses when it comes to noise. thye really hated my four wheeler. they called the cops on a weekly basic. but the cops said they cant do nothing as long as it was between 7 am and 10 pm.
With the nitro car, he said if i caused a accident i would be at fault. and the noise is the same. couldnt do nothing between 7 and 10. the neighbors hate me lol

+1 on looking up ur city rules and laws(all towns are different)
Old 05-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

if you run within your yard and its between 9am and 9pm, the neighbors can call the cops all they want or yell all they want, you arent doing anything illegal and cops cant tell you to stop , if you're on the street though they can.

but you can always drop the "Rather you want me doing this or doing drugs" bomb, and they leave you alone.
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #15
Tech Champion

I think testing between 11am to 4pm is quite polite and okay enough for your neighbours' understanding. However, I do agree the noise from small engine can be annoying, so perhaps you don't go testing for hours on the street.

One time my friend visited me around 7pm, and I insisted him to show me how fast 1/8 off road, so he let it rip in my front garden, sprinting on grasses and jumping from garden to road asphalt. Seven minutes later my neighbour screamed . He said it's 7pm !!! I'm sure there were more words after that ..... but I didn't hear it. .... Oh well, that was my golden teenager's days back then in LA. And my friend who drove the 1/8 is now a xray international team driver !!

Back in my country, I can break in even at 10pm ( j/k ) ...... actually I stopped break in after 1.5 tanks and decided to continue on next day at 8pm.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote