R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 01-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #1306
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

having some clutch issues with my car,

The springs come off the clutch nut pretty much as soon as the engine is started. The clutch is installed as per the manual with a clutch spring tool.

The springs sit in the groove on the nut perfect but it seems like the the groove isn't deep enough or something and they just fall off.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, is there an aftermarket nut that people use?

Cheers

Ash
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #1307
Tech Addict

Ashley,

I run all stock everything in the clutch area. I have never had a problem.

check this- just put the clutch shoe on without the spring, look and make sure that the two grooves are perfectly lined up. If not then get them there. Hope this helps, but I have never had a problem. Also I run V-Specs, don't know if you do also.
samos234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #1308
Tech Regular

Ashley, any 5mm (inside dia.) clutch nut with the same length will work. Ofna has probably the most universal nut, where no groove is even needed to trap the spring. Rather, the hour glass shape of standard clutch nuts keeps the spring in place. Also pick-up a pack of 5mm shims just in case you have to re-tune your end-play on the bell.
RoyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #1309
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos234 View Post
Ashley,

I run all stock everything in the clutch area. I have never had a problem.

check this- just put the clutch shoe on without the spring, look and make sure that the two grooves are perfectly lined up. If not then get them there. Hope this helps, but I have never had a problem. Also I run V-Specs, don't know if you do also.
I will check this when the spring falls off again. Hopefully going to have a run this afternoon and no doubt it will come off again.

I am running a cheap RTR motor from another car at the moment, which is more than what I need. I will be upgrading to a Sirio soon.

Thanks heaps for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJ View Post
Ashley, any 5mm (inside dia.) clutch nut with the same length will work. Ofna has probably the most universal nut, where no groove is even needed to trap the spring. Rather, the hour glass shape of standard clutch nuts keeps the spring in place. Also pick-up a pack of 5mm shims just in case you have to re-tune your end-play on the bell.
Thanks again for the help, I will try the first suggestion then if needed I will get an Ofna nut from somewhere to try.

Thanks heaps both of you for the help.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #1310
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill_Will View Post
Doc - Get Pistol Pete to find us a good place to stay at a good price.
We Will see him at the Battle at the beach and we can get with him to check on some rooms for us... so chill how did your sx8 do on your first outing..who did the pit for you and Brian k
Old 01-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #1311
Tech Fanatic

Very cold but a fun day at the S.H.A.R.C. track. I ran the new light weight parts on my car today and they worked great. I TQed and won and had no problems with the new parts.

Willie Scott ran behind me most of the day with his TQ buggy as well. I think once Will gets a little more track time with the buggy he might be the TQ man.
brian kadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #1312
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Brian,
I think those new towers made a few geometry changes. Could you tell any difference getting the car through the corners?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #1313
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Brian, also while its on my mind, what transmitter are you using. I was thinking about maybe getting a Futaba 4PK.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #1314
Tech Fanatic

The traction was so high it was like running onroad.

I use the JR-Z1 right now but I would look for the lightest radio on the market right now and go with it.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #1315
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Here is one of the lightest on the market..If not the lightest. No Crystals, no problem, uses AA batteries and they last months in the radio!

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=7302

Email me @ alanburton20@gmail.com and I can find ya a coupon code to use.

Hey Brian, has will told you about the mid south rc pro? Be a good chance to get the sx8 some great exposure without driving huge amounts. Should have the dates this week. You know you and will and the wife are welcome to crash at my house for the Bham leg of it. Friendly by night...arch rivals once on the tracklol...

B'ham

Flowood, MS

Nashville, TN

In no specific order..
Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #1316
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yes, it was a very cold day of racing. My motor didn't like the cold and I had trouble starting it. I was a lap down when we started the main but I manage to work my way to 2nd. The new parts looks good.

Doc - Because of the cold weather we only ran 5 min heats and a 7 min main so we didn't have to pit. I had to be careful with the throttle trying to play catch up. Other than that the buggy was good but I think with a little tweeking I can get it better for my style.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #1317
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

No Alan, I didnt tell Brian about it. My brain was cold, my motor was cold and my fingers were frozen. Arch rivals

That is a light radio. It only uses 4aa batteries. It's so light it feels fake.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #1318
Tech Fanatic

Count me in Alan, I will be there. Just let me know ahead of time so I can plan for it.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #1319
Tech Regular

Default Carbon Fiber Parts

RJ's nugget for the day

Here's a little tip I learned from a carbon fiber fabricator, for those who may be concerned about the durability of CF parts, particularly the shock towers:

It's worth taking the time to bond and seal the cut edges of woven carbon fiberboard parts. It makes the parts so much stronger. Woven CF has many very thin layers laminated together. Unfortunately, over time the laminates can become separated at the edges from impacts, dirt, cleaners, wd40 and other contaminants.

Therefore, before mounting CF parts, it's best to first carefully apply a thin superglue to the cut edges around the outside perimeter. Thin is best, so that it can run in between the laminates and fill voids. But don't stop there. Next, use a clear nail polish to brush a coat ontop of the dried superglued edges, for added strength and seal. The clear enamel will add durability to the edges, preventing contaminants and impacts from breaking down the superglue. You may have to add more enamel to the dog-ears of your front shock tower after several races, since that's were the most abrasions occur.
RoyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #1320
Tech Elite

great tip! thanks