R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 12-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #1111
Tech Fanatic

I hope to get some track time in the next couple of weeks also.
brian kadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #1112
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Track time? What's that? It's been raining so much here no one can get any time on the track.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #1113
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

well they race at R/C central every 2 weeks, if anybody is down to take the drive, Ah Brain The Next race is in 2 weeks, no new year race....
Old 12-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #1114
Tech Fanatic

How did everything work out for you guys?
brian kadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #1115
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian kadow View Post
How did everything work out for you guys?

Let me try this again since my computer crashed.

Everything went well for us until the mains... Go figure!! It was our first outing with the cars and our first opportunity to drive them. The SX8 is an excellent car that doesn’t lack anything to compete with the other cars out there.

I was plagued with clutch problems during practice. Doc, during practice, had a run away that led to a broken front shock tower.

There were some really fast guys there, so we had our work cut out for us. We only had two qualifiers. So given the time we were well on our way to figuring out set ups.

Doc qualified 1st for the B and I qualified 7th for the A. Doc finished first in the B which bumped him up to the A. We started the A, and of coarse there was a first turn pile up. I knew since I was closer to the back, if that happened, I may be able to go to the outside and drive around. WRONG!! Instead a few cars got turned around headed into the opposite direction, I got on the brakes..... then someone's shock shaft seeking bumper found mine and that ended my day. Doc got about two laps in and lost a clutch bearing.

All in all it was still a (long) great day. We are both really happy with the performance of the cars. A lot of people were impressed with the quality and finish of the SX8. Both Doc and I saw a lot of people that we haven't seen in a long time. B&T Raceway was Doc's home track, so it was kind of like going back in time for him.

If anyone has a chance to go race at B&T I would highly recommend it. It's a great group of people down there that will bend over backwards to help you out. It's been a long time since I've seen that amount of hospitality at a race.

Brian, they are not racing next week but they said that you could come practice all that you want to. Their next race is two weeks from yesterday.

Everyone keep in mind that they have the Battle at the Beach there every March. They usually have a large turnout for this race, so everybody needs to keep an eye out for pre-registration. It will be a race you don't want to miss.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #1116
Tech Addict

Lucky- good to hear from you this is shannon amos, been a long time. Glad to hear that you were happy with the cars and the performance. I have mine built but it won't stop raining so I can get some track time in. I believe its going to be good on new years day so I plan on practicing in dalton.

The battle of the beach race- I hope its not the weekend of march 28th, that is the same weekend as the first RC PRO SERIES race in Myrtle Beach SC.

Please let us know when you can!
samos234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #1117
Tech Master

Sup Shannon. After all that you still did get to run the car. We had a race scheduled but I didnt go because I thought it was too wet. They tried to race but I don't think enough showed up. Our next race is in month but I should get some practice in before it.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #1118
Tech Addict

Chill Will- got the part, thank you so much. didn't get to run on a track but did get all endpoints, brakes, throttle and so forth setup so all i need now is to get to a dry track.

We need you and lucky to come to Dalton sometime so we can bring back the WHOOOO WHOOOO TRAAAAIIIIIN COOOMIN!

Check in the mail in the morning, thanks again.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #1119
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos234 View Post
got the car up and running today. Rained so couldn't go to the track, but ran it in the drive way. Car has great turning radius and the brakes that I modified worked great! Has a ton of brakes! Car was suprisingly snappy. Granted I was on concrete, but it took off and stopped like a much lighter buggy.

Can't wait to get on a track, hopefully it will be drier tommorrow.
Awesome Shannon! Hey I finally get my Caster Buggy on Tuesday, are you coming out to Loganville this Saturday or are you going to practice at Dalton? I can't wait to see your SX8.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #1120
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I took my NRB-3 out to an old abandoned off road track today.

Wow is all I can say, built exactly per the book.

Man this car is easy to drive, you hook it around a corner, straighten the wheels and nail the throttle, and it just pulls straight!

It's unreal and I've never had an experience like this racing EP on road.

My engine tuning needs work but atleast I don't need to worry about how the car handles. I'm sure it will need fine tuning but that's nothing I'm scared of.

Speaking of scared, were you guys a bit nervous the first couple of times you jumped your cars? I found it quite intimidating. Though I did tumble it once and it seems pretty tough, so maybe 1/8 scale is tougher than I'm giving credit?

Cheers guys
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #1121
Tech Regular

well I finally got my buggy that the wifey got me. I was so excited, I went and bought brand new servos, tires and wheels. A buddy of mine gave a me a fresh motor to put the car. Started the break in on the motor. Idled three tanks, puttered around for two more tanks. parked the car till the next day (Race Day). I pulled the car out of the tote where I keep it, set the car on the starter box. I fired it up hit the gas and three tires spun. Checked the car over and found internals of the cv axle had fallen out. I was so bummed, I just just calmly and tearfully put the car back in the tote. I went about my race day. Maybe next week
Nixon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #1122
Suspended

I fired it up hit the gas and three tires spun. Checked the car over and found internals of the cv axle had fallen out. I was so bummed, I just just calmly and tearfully put the car back in the tote.

my ? is why would a cv fall apart, is it car builders mistake or company that made the car?
i wanna race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #1123
Tech Regular

Its my fault for not double checkin my car after driving around. So I would say car builder.
Nixon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #1124
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos234 View Post
Chill Will- got the part, thank you so much. didn't get to run on a track but did get all endpoints, brakes, throttle and so forth setup so all i need now is to get to a dry track.

We need you and lucky to come to Dalton sometime so we can bring back the WHOOOO WHOOOO TRAAAAIIIIIN COOOMIN!
Check in the mail in the morning, thanks again.
Well Lucky don't do nitro but I plan on bringing Brian K over with me next year.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #1125
Tech Addict

Alex- Sweet man, congrats on your ride with Caster again. I will be in dalton on thursday practicing all day and am planning on coming to loganville, have to work till12. You going to savannah next weekend? Dave and I are going and possible Nick.

chill-- no nitro for lucky?? what up? anywho you can brian are welcome anytime. I will let you both know when a big race comes up in dalton and/or loganville.

Team- chill will and Vernon Cook showed great team work. I needed an odd part and both of them offered to overnight it to me. Now that is what being part of the TQ team I am talking about. Thanks again!