Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #511
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosm View Post
Thanks for the close ups Joe. Looks like allot of the parts are interchangeable with the buggy.
Yeah just like most manufacturers most of the parts are interchangeable.
different arms, chassis, radio tray, cvd's, pinion gears, spur gear, chassis braces, fuel tank,.. all and all it seems to look very promising. I can't wait to get her on the track tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #512
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'll get some good action pics from Joe this w/end
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #513
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ohh..and while I'm thinking on it...Joe, got any red .90 springs? I just picked up two packs of .95s from AMain, but he's out of .90s. Wanna trade ? lol. I just need/want two. Thx
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #514
Tech Master

Thanks Joe and good luck,my truggy has been very good and Im sure with your truggy racing experience you give us some very good feed back.

Thanks
Local racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #515
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well finally got my SX8 done. Will be running it for the first time tomorrow night. Just dropped in one of my old motors .21 VG for now, got it pinched, maybe it will last longer than a gallon that the first 2 NEW pistons and sleeves lasted LOL!
Got some suspension tuning to do as I can see some camber settings are off. I did have to put a washer on each side of the steering linkage posts to get the steering to be free was the only problem I had so far. Got a old body to fit as I am thinking of what to do for the original body, Wrap or paint?? Here are some pics.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #516
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Looks good.... maybe swap out for alum servo arms though....I've never had good luck with plastic ones

Interesting camber locations.... take a copy of our starting setup with ya, in case those dont work

where's your threaded hinge pins, sway bar set screws and droop screws?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #517
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
Looks good.... maybe swap out for alum servo arms though....I've never had good luck with plastic ones

Interesting camber locations.... take a copy of our starting setup with ya, in case those dont work

where's your threaded hinge pins, sway bar set screws and droop screws?
Man you got a good eye! LOL. Well I took the pics right before putting those parts on. Was getting ready to rain so went out and snapped a couple. The threaded hinge pins I never found until the buggy was 3/4 way done so decided to just use the stock pins for now. My rear camber is way off I think and will most likely change, everything done now.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:50 PM   #518
Tech Master

Quote:
Sorry the photos aren't the best, but I wanted to get some pics posted before shes not so new. I'm busy getting ready to leave for the Pro Series tomorrow.. The build is not quite stock. I added the TQ racing CNC front steering blocks, Jammin BB Blue Truggy springs, Sportworks "pro" linkage, TQ racing Upgraded brake kit, and Dace +6mm wheel hexes so I can run all my 1/2 offset wheels. The truck is a lil wider then stock now.. I'll fill you guys in on Monday, on how she went.
Looks really nice man! I can say those shocks are awesome!! Worked wonders on my OCM truggy I got! Been selling crap out of them for other truggies and buggies!

BTW are the diffs spiral cut gears?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #519
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Had some better laps this weekend at a race in Riverfront. This is the same track that gave me and the buggy all sorts of trouble last time. With my new setup the buggy, handled the blown out and rutted track much better. This would be my second race in the expert class, qualed 3rd in the B-Main and finished 3rd. Was racing against a pretty well known individual in the RC Industry, and a couple other local guys. Got punted pretty bad in the second lap, in front of a very slow marshal. The rest of the race I was pushing too hard trying to catch up, and wasn’t’ being careful to select my lines. One really bad rut in the straight sent my buggy tumbling end over end at full throttle, snapping another wing mount. I settled into a rhythm and finished the race 3rd………. barely missing the bump.

There is a big race coming up on the 12th – 14th. The Harvest Classic. Usually draws over 100 entries from all over California…. I’m entered in both buggy & truggy classes. It’ll be a good race for exposure for TQ & the SX8 there are usually several sponsored drivers there. Being only my 3rd race in the expert class, I hope I can give the SX8 the showing it deserves. I'm learning allot with the SX8. Can’t wait to get out there again!
BuckarooGear.com
carlosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #520
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnmsgt View Post
Looks really nice man! I can say those shocks are awesome!! Worked wonders on my OCM truggy I got! Been selling crap out of them for other truggies and buggies!

BTW are the diffs spiral cut gears?
We're still deciding on a ring and pinion package........
Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #521
Tech Master

Well I ran the TQ buggy for the first time tonight with a couple friends playing around on a track and had some good and some bad. The good was the buggy has awesome steering on or off power which was really good and was pretty smooth through the rough stuff. I could put the car where I wanted it in a turn. It jumped straight and landed really smooth with no bottoming out. The bad was that I could not keep the rear end under control. Anything more than close to half throttle would brake the rear loose like crazy!!! Would spin out on a dime if I was not careful to EASILY get on the throttle out of turns. It would want to swap ends around easily. Also would catch sideways up on 2 wheels pretty easily when exiting a turn on or off throttle. I was thinking it was too much droop in the rear allowing the car to bring the rear up too much a rotate so I decreased my rear droop and tightened up the rear sway bar. Help with the 2 wheel thing but nothing I could do what stop the rear from having a mind of its own. I have about 2 degrees of Camber in the rear and am running the front ackerman in the center hole. Just seems like it has way too much steering which is causing the rear to be really twitchy in turns but then hard to accelerate up to full throttle straight.

BTW DE Racing Mugen MBX5R rear skidplates fit on the SX8 to help save your chassis. Just have to grind off a little access plastic off of the skid plate as it is a little long and extends out farther than the chassis a little bit.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #522
Tech Master

Try running the car long, also what rear diff? I suggest 1.000 what is your tow and antisquat I would run 2anti and 3.5 tow.

Also slow down the transfer too the front by heaving up the shock oil too 50 with the stock silver springs.
Local racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #523
Tech Champion

make sure your rear link is in the inner holes also.... preferably the lower or next one up...... we've tested just about all the rear link combos and the link on my setup sheet is the best alll around position.

make sure your in the lower hinge pin holes on the hubs, and inner hole on the arms for the shocks, all those things will hook the rear up
Old 09-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #524
Tech Master

Just got off the phone with Tony at TQ and I have it all messed up!! LOL! Should have it straightened out now. Of course what you guys posted was all wrong too. Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #525
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnmsgt View Post
Just got off the phone with Tony at TQ and I have it all messed up!! LOL! Should have it straightened out now. Of course what you guys posted was all wrong too. Thanks for all the info guys!
What is wrong with our posts?