R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-09-2008, 04:16 AM   #406
Tech Initiate

Cool, I am in a red tent, with a SX8 box on my table. I wanna see the truggy!
PhillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #407
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Here's Billy's setup and a couple misc pics.... I'll post more on the site
Attached Thumbnails
TQ Racing SX8-billy-setup.jpg   TQ Racing SX8-manu-cup-049web.jpg   TQ Racing SX8-manu-cup-052web.jpg  
Old 08-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #408
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to jaco123

Hey guys just wondering if the Stock Diff oil that comes with the kit is any good?. I only need to use the 1000 weight.

Kyosho mp9 tki3
Xray T4
jaco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:35 AM   #409
Tech Master

The oils are good this will be our own brand so they work very well.
Local racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #410
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Practice / Race Report

My first Practice & Race Report with SX8

I went out Friday afternoon to our local track and put the new SX8 on the dirt for the first time at our local track Prairie City RC Raceway, Rancho Cordova, CA. Prairie City is a big open track with some techincal sections, wide open straight aways with a larger qaud in the middle, and high speed bermed corners. The location used to be a BMX track and one of the main berms for the BMX layout is still utilized at the end of the straight away. The berm is huge. Due to the layouts high speed and large jumps this track will expose any weakness in any car within the first tank of fuel. The track was dry, loose and pretty blown out.

I double checked camber and other setup options, fueled up and put my car on the track and made my way to the drivers stand. The very first thing I noticed is the cars jumping ability. The SX8 jumps low and level without much speed. The car has plenty of steering and I was able to make it to through the technical parts of the track with out any issue. By the end of the first tank I started to settle in with car. Second tank being more familiar with it I pushed the car harder. The car could clear the the big qaud on the straight no problem, and I seemed to land on the down slope of the everytime, perfect! By the end of tank all was well but I was having trouble keeping the rear end planted when coming out of turns. Tank 3 I changed tires. Put on some Losi Step Pins Silver... The car seemed to like this softer compound and I was able to keep the car planted much better with the new tire selection. At the end of the day I was able to put 6 or 7 tanks on the car, only issue being a ripped ruber shock boot. I was very happy with the car, and looking forward to the race on Sunday!

Before race day I changed my diff oils to 3,5,1 as recommmened above. Still running 40/30 shock oils, w/stock springs

Sunday Race Day
Club Race and Rescue RC, in Rescue California
The rescue track is a medium sized track with, semi narrow lanes, lots of turns and a distinct red clay dirt that is very hard on tires when dry, loose and blown out. When wet or slightly watered the track has plenty of traction but in this hot and dry California weather it doesn't stay wet for long. I arrived early, setup my pit spot and was able to get a few practice laps in. Car felt good so I cleaned the tires and got ready for the heat.

Heat 1, 5 minutes.
The track was pretty dry and I was having trouble again keeping the rear end planted, coming out of turns. I was runing the same Losi Step Pin tires. Over all I think I ended up 5th.

---
Before the 2nd heat I made some setup changes, firstly when checking camber in the rear I notice quite a bit of slop. After removing the rear tires I determined it was, either the bearings or the drive shaft diameter. I installed the four shims that come with the kit, both outside the inner bearing, and outside the outer bearing. This seemed to help allot. I also changed the the rear shock positioning, and switched to M2 crime fighters.

Heat 2, 5 minutes
The track was freshly watered and tacky. The car was dialed. I finished on top well in front of the rest of the pack. Although my fastest lap was 3 or 4 seconds below the overall TQ.

---

I didn't make any changes to the car before the main, as I was very comfortable with it in the 2nd heat.

Amain Qualified in 3rd Position
Track was freshly watered
The Amain started badly for me with a flame right at "down & quiet". My pit man ran accross the track to pit lane to get me fired and I was off. I settled into a good rythym and was able to climb up into the 3rd position with second place well in front of me. The car was driving great, I was gaining some ground at about 6 minutes into the race when I had yet another flame out. My pit man got me fired up again and I was off. Now I was a little rattled and and went into "catch up" mode. Was driving very poorly and seemed to flip over in front of the the same corner marshall everytime, worse yet this corner marshal seemed to be afraid of Nitro Cars, and very gingerly and slowly flipped the car over.....oh well I'm the one responsible for flipping the car right!? After driving the car eratically flipping several times, I flamed out yet again. My pit man fired me up and refuled me for the last time. I was able to settle back into a rythym and did notice that as the track dried toward the end of the main the car started to get loose in the rear end, again. All things considering I stayed at it and was able to fininsh in I beleive the 5th postion.

Overall I felt it was a good day, I learned allot about the car. Tested the durability, and toughness, and was able to finish the heats and main. The car is tough, no doubt about it. I know I can be much faster with it after I find the right setup.

I need to work with the rear end as it seems to be a recurring issue for me. The rear seems to want to slide or come arround coming out of or in the middle of a turn. I'm sure that it is setup. I will try to post a setup sheet and maybe you guys can critique and offer some suggestions as to things I can change. I plan on buying either the OFNA or Kyosho springs before my next outing this weekend. I know different spring rates will give me more tuneablitly. I'm very happing with the car and can't wait to run it next weekend!

Thanks for reading my long and boring post!!!
BuckarooGear.com
carlosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #411
Tech Initiate

Sounds great Carlos, entertaining reading for sure. I was also having the rear end come around in one area of the track, but I attributed it to my heavy throttle use. The corner was a hard left down a hill and sometimes I would come down and spin. My V spec is already a torque monster, and I had 1.3 springs on by mistake as well, which was just too much bottom end power - I am tossing this clutch setup for an adjustable one.

Anyone have a place to order individual parts? I have visited the website, but don't want to order another entire set of shocks just to get some shock shafts and boots! I need other stuff as well, for spares.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #412
Tech Master

Carolinas Rc will have the parts up this week, we are glad they have choosen to give our car a shot.

Philly a local guy has a ebay store called RC Procenter and he is also carrying the kits and parts.

You can also go to the TQ Site and find the nearest dealer.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #413
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyB View Post
Sounds great Carlos, entertaining reading for sure. I was also having the rear end come around in one area of the track, but I attributed it to my heavy throttle use. The corner was a hard left down a hill and sometimes I would come down and spin. My V spec is already a torque monster, and I had 1.3 springs on by mistake as well, which was just too much bottom end power - I am tossing this clutch setup for an adjustable one.

Anyone have a place to order individual parts? I have visited the website, but don't want to order another entire set of shocks just to get some shock shafts and boots! I need other stuff as well, for spares.
Thanks PhillyB! what shoes are you running? I'm running 1.1 springs with mugen carbon shoes... not quite snappy enough sorta boggy on a short run up to a jump. Thinking I need to change springs.
BuckarooGear.com
Old 08-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #414
Tech Initiate

Not sure if thats your problem or not, or even if its my problem. It felt like I had to punch the throttle to get the car to move, and once the clutch locked up it was too much power.

Most of my equipment is old, and not the greatest, I am just getting back into racing and all my stuff is out of date/discontinued. I have a 4 shoe clutch with aluminum shoes - supermaxx/unlimited engineering - and I was doing great with 1.1 springs on my old buggy. On Friday I was using the 1.1 springs and they worked good - if a little snappy. On Friday I bought some xray ones, and they weren't labeled, but I am guessing they are 1.2 or more and installed them that night in the hotel room with new bearings. Even 1.0 would probably have been too much bottom end with such a snappy motor. Only reason I was running it was that I had tons of spares, but its just not doing it for me. I was changing the shoes every race weekend, and new bearings every weekend, and still blowing out bearings sometimes.

I am ordering a 3 shoe fioroni vario adjustable clutch. Should be interesting, I think its going to work great for me, especially with all the different tracks I hope to drive on.

I got to pit for binky in the truggy A main, that truggy looked incredible on the track. When he came in after warm up it stalled, but we managed to get it running before the start. First pit stop at 7 min the engine died and we just couldn't get it started fast enough, I think he lost some time there. At the 14 min mark we got him a good pit stop and no stall, lots of fuel. Then at the 21 minute mark I was soo worried, we pitted him and I just couldn't get enough fuel in the tank (I think his fuel bottle was damaged I was squeezing it to death) and after the pit I kept looking at the fuel bottle level and I knew he wouldn't make it to the end, so I got him to come in for a splash at 27 min so he could finish, and right as he took the last turn before pit lane the tire came completely off, hex and all. Looked like the drive pin came out, finishing his race. I am not sure what position he finished in, but the truggy looks awesome, planted everywhere on the track.

I think once I rebuild mine and get rid of the new car gremlins I should have a great chance at doing alot better. At least not almost dead last.

All in total I bent one shock shaft when someone hit me from behind, lost two CVD pins from the front center cvd (the set screw wasn't threading in far enough and I didn't notice) and snapped the screw that holds the steering turnbuckle to the right steering knuckle (18mm screw snapped in half!). Pretty good for the abuse I can hand out. I am very happy with the handling, can't believe I can still drive after all this time.

Last edited by PhillyB; 08-11-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #415
Tech Master

Default Thanks Phil

Guys my my Truggy was really good I should be ashamed for my bad wrenching skills.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #416
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local racer View Post
Guys my my Truggy was really good I should be ashamed for my bad wrenching skills.

Yes you should. Now ship it to me so I can give it a proper shakedown, and can lavish loving wrenching care upon it!

Dangit, when did all my favorite cars, trucks, airplanes, and engines become "vintage"???
Eccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #417
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'm closer...ship it to me :P

A page or so ago, LiPo regulator use was discussed. I had meant to post pics of my set up...sorry it took so long. But I got em now.

I removed the shrink wrap a while back, thinking I had a problem with the Reg. Turns out, it was the battery wires. I have been lazy in not putting new wrap on, or replacing this Reg with a brand new one that I have as a spare...but all in all I have had no problems.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #418
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (97%+)

where did you get reg
keithw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #419
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

http://www.htbatteries.com/Public_html/Rx%20Packs.htm

Both mine are the 6V, though I wouldn't mind trying out the 7V sometime.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #420
Tech Addict

Hey guys here's the setup I was running last weekend. As I said in my last post the car was dialed when the track was just watered, when the track started drying out I was having trouble keeping the rear end steady. It wanted to slide in the middle & comming out of a turn. I was told that I should try getting either the heaving Kyosho or OFNA springs and putting in heavier shock oils for sure.

What do you all think? Any suggestions or pointers would be much appreciated. This was my first race with the car. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rescue8_10_08 copy.pdf (429.7 KB, 131 views)
BuckarooGear.com