R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #286
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I took my SX8 out for the first time last night and was impressed with it's overall performance. I started out with Tony Newlands base set up, however I was running 5K oil in the front diff. I have one area that I would like to improve however and that is off power steering and a slight push from mid corner on. There are a couple of high speed banked turns at the track and it seemed to want to push to the top of the berm a little too much. I was thinking of going to 3K in the fron diff and moving my ackerman position back one hole. Any suggestions? Thanks.
KDub75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #287
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

rcejk, I assume thats the rc8 filters? Looks like a way better fit.
kamlooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #288
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Try less caster in the front and play with the roll center in the rear, i would try different sway bars before changing diff oil.
moparsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:35 PM   #289
Tech Initiate

Kdub75
Setup Questions - Gain More Off Power Steering / Better Mid-Corner Tracking out of turn.

Here are a couple of things to try;
1. Go lower in rear diff oil
2. decrease rear camber arm length
(car should feel like it wants to rotate faster)
(go opposite for a less rotating feeling)
3. add droop to front (off power steering)
4. add droop to rear (more rotation / less traction in rear)
5. decrease front caster (I would start with 19deg)
6. move rear shocks position on upper rear tower out more.
(should take a little traction away from the rear)
7. decrease wheelbase (?)

Also, it will depend on what tires your running also. If you are running a pin style tire in the rear like a crimefighter, try cutting the out side pin off or cut them at an angle, that might be all you need. (Rear tires only)

As for setup changes, I probably would start with the oil and front caster changes since they are quick and easy. Then move on to droop. Or maybe just shorten the camber link in the rear.

Maybe you already know this, but make sure your adjustments are small and one at a time, doing to many adjustments at once will not help in understanding what does what and how well it didn't or did work.
Prime Fuel
Ko Propo, FThobbies.com, EmpireRC.net & GFDracing
empirerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #290
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Thanks for the advice, I will try the changes you recommended one at a time to see what changes are most effective. I'll post back and let you guys know.
KDub75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #291
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BermyDomRepRC Send a message via Yahoo to BermyDomRepRC Send a message via Skype™ to BermyDomRepRC

wow it looks like this cars getting some good feedback are there anyplans to allow international people on the team ? Or anyone I can e mail my resume too
BermyDomRepRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #292
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDub75 View Post
I took my SX8 out for the first time last night and was impressed with it's overall performance. I started out with Tony Newlands base set up, however I was running 5K oil in the front diff. I have one area that I would like to improve however and that is off power steering and a slight push from mid corner on. There are a couple of high speed banked turns at the track and it seemed to want to push to the top of the berm a little too much. I was thinking of going to 3K in the fron diff and moving my ackerman position back one hole. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Try these (in this order)

3-4k front diff, decrease front droop.......
I limit droop as much as I can, as long as it handles jump landings well and goes through the bumps good I'll keep limiting droop front and rear untill it sucks then back it off a tick.

I'm going through my car this weekend for the manufacturers cup and I'll measure my droop...... droop has ALOT to do with handling, I can make your best setup undrivable with a 2.5mm wrench

Tires will also make alot of difference obviously..... I race for Panther and use Raptors for more rotation (they free the car up in the corners and allow it to slide) and Boas (for less slide and more grab). If a track has alot of high speed stuff I would opt for the smaller pin tire, because come time for the mains those spots on the track are gonna be rutted and the small pin tire wont catch an edge.

With my std setup and the rough track one, my car will cut into corners really quick and before the apex I'm back on the gas pulling through the end and out. Its all about corner speed

last thing......... anitsquat, it is a huge adjustment also.... for tracks with alot of high speed sweepers run the middle or upper bushing..... it will allow the rear to come around more on throttle and give your more forward bite atthe same time...... our local track is small so I run less antisquat because I want the rear to have alot of sidebite....... at regionals on a 200x100 sweeping track I ran the middle bushing for more go around the sweepers, with the rough track setup it was stellar...... probably the best car I've ever driven.

Last edited by Tony Newland; 07-26-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Tony Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #293
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BermyDomRepRC View Post
wow it looks like this cars getting some good feedback are there anyplans to allow international people on the team ? Or anyone I can e mail my resume too

Send it to tnewland@tqracing.net

We currently support North and South America
Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #294
Tech Champion

Dam Ethan..... lookin good!!

Also guys, the pics on the site are from my car, one of the first samples we began testing with...... we added the milled 7075 chassis after testing, so the silver (6061) one on the site is not the production chassis...

threaded hinge pins are stock items in the kit, CNC knuckles are not. Theyre in there hiding
Old 07-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #295
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BermyDomRepRC Send a message via Yahoo to BermyDomRepRC Send a message via Skype™ to BermyDomRepRC

Tony its Keenan ill talk to you some more on skype today or tonight so when is the truggy coming out ?
BermyDomRepRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #296
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Tony N. do you have a good setup for a track that is in the middle of being rough and smooth??? The tracks by me are sort of in between. I have looked through this thread and saw your earlier setups but I know you have done alot of testing since them. I am putting my SX8 together and need a good starting point. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #297
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcejk

well i had some bad luck last night..nothing was going my way out their last night but i gave it my best.. i ran tonys stock set up and for the Nitro pit the shock set up is a little to soft but i made some adjustments to get it to handle better but in the end i managed to brake a lower front a-arm..my fault but oh well! i didnt have any spares but thats racing! the buggy handled great out their even with the small changes i made you could tell a difference! moparsrule was out their and we got together and looked over our cars and he helped me out with a some changes and def helped out but i will get it back up and running and hopefully get more practice on the car! other wise i am extremely happy with it!
Old 07-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #298
Tech Champion

I'll post a fresh std setup tonight......

Dont expect to rotate the earth first time out the std setup with 55/40 should be pretty good, did you run lighter than that?
Old 07-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #299
Tech Champion

Ok Here's the latest starting setup..... notice rear shocks moved upper and lower... and front diff went up in oil

I also posted droop measurements....... those are measured with the chassis sitting on panther wheels and measuring off the "hoops" on the bottom of the F&R arms..
Attached Thumbnails
TQ Racing SX8-sx8_stdsetupsheetsmall_7_27.jpg  
Old 07-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #300
Tech Champion

My buggy as it sits now..... its headed to Manufacturers cup tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
TQ Racing SX8-buggy-ready-manu-cup-1.jpg   TQ Racing SX8-buggy-ready-manu-cup-2.jpg   TQ Racing SX8-buggy-ready-manu-cup-3.jpg   TQ Racing SX8-buggy-ready-manu-cup-4.jpg   TQ Racing SX8-buggy-ready-manu-cup-5.jpg